Isolation Platforms

Anyone using isolation platforms for their M5 or M7 amps?  My M5’s are sitting on a medium thickness carpet and carpet pad laid down over a concrete slab floor.  They sound great as is, but some platforms have good reviews and are not outrageously expensive.  Some folks have used wood butcher blocks or granite in sandboxes or even diy projects.  Just checking.  While we are here, how about isolation platforms/footers  for Vandersteen speakers?

I'm starting with extra granite as I have two pieces that fit nicely.  I really would love to get the entry level HRS platforms.  Have heard them on the M5's and loved what they did.  EVERYTHING got better quickly.  Go big or go home, right?  lol.  Let us know what you do.I have carpet too and got Fog Lifters for the cables and cords to get them off the carpet.  Small, inexpensive tweaks that mean a fair amount.  Keep us up on what you do.  He has the HRS footers already on them, which is a great start.

• 2 months later...

I have recently been using Townshend isolation products and have been impressed so far.

I originally was going to use a pair of platforms under my Treo's but the outrigger feet stuck out too much. So, I used it under my Ayre KXR preamp. I noticed the bass tightened up significantly.

I have also used the isolation bars under my 2wq subs and found much the same change sonically.

Bob

Welcome Bob. So glad you found us over here.  I spoke with Richard about what to put under your amps.  Under Richards amps a nice stable platform is best. You dont' need to go all out with an HRS platform as he is using their technology for his feet already.  Maybe using an HRS lower priced platform would help even more, but I've not heard that so I'm not sure.  

Bob, under all of Richard's speakers he feels a nice piece of granite on the carpet or rug and using his Vandersteen feet (the cups to hold the spikes) works best.  I have a set and the felt is a special felt to help teh speaker stay as stable as it can and not move while playing.  Very simple and not expensive and it works.  

I have become an HRS convert.  Their gear has sounded best in any system I've heard it in.  As you know Bob, I have auditioned a ton of isolation footers and platforms over the last few years.  Many within the last year.  I just love the look, feel, build and sound or lack of with all the HRS products.  I've also noticed manufacturers using HRS when I've visited.  

I'd love to get down to hear my old Treo's when Rutan comes to visit!!!  Let me know when that will be.  ha.  then you guys will need to come up and listen to my system.  Road trip.

I use a 3 inch Butcher Block Acoustics platform under my Mccormack and can't say that I hear any sonic difference. The primary reason was to prevent fire should the amp get hot on the carpet. However, since I live in San Diego, I am contemplating on getting the Mccormacks upgraded to the Gravity Base.  Am curious to hear how the Panzerholz base sounds...

9 hours ago, Tomstruck said:

The 7 amps have their own suspension built in don't know if it would benefit from a base 

So do the 5's.  I will be building a wooden base for my amps, or just get a matching slab of granite (matching the plinths I use for Quatro's).  I trust in Richards suspension as he works with HRS.