Placing subwoofer close to electronics

Greetings everyone,

I am in the process of reorganizing my listening room and was wondering if there are any caveats one should be aware of while placing subwoofer within 6 inches of the amp/preamp. I don't want to end up going redoing the layout with wiring only to find that there are some negative implications. Currently the subwoofer is in the far corner of the room right behind where the main speakers are located. I saw some pictures of people's listening room/setups and I don't see anyone placing the subwoofers that close to the rack.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

6 inches is pretty close. 

If it were me, I would minimize any potential vibration/resonance issues by using some isolation platforms like HRS or Townshend.-Especially if your rack doesn't provide such isolation.

Bob

• Like 1

Without wiring it with golden wire, can you try the other location(s) easily?
(Then maybe something like REW to find teh location(s) that work best.)

Corners do load a room more easily, and another sub may do a lot more for room mode filling then moving a single subwoofer around.
(But you still may need to move multiples to find a sweat spot.)

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback. I am going to skip the idea of keeping the sub close to a new wide main rack that I am planning to get. The original idea was to have the rack and the sub in the center (where the piano is) rather than tucked away in the corner (see picture) but there’s not a whole lot of room to wiggle in.

6994240A-8A77-443E-9A25-48CFC00CE556.jpeg

• Like 1

I can understand the limits of placement. If Mr. V. saw my setup, he'd have a conniption. Despite the limitations, it does sound pretty good.

Given the open side on the right, I think you would be well served by trying to move the sub around the room. . Unfortunately, those dang wires will be something to contend with.

Can you provide a pic of the opposite wall- where the records are located?

Bob

22 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

If Mr. V. saw my setup, he'd have a conniption

I doubt it…

I’ve  often seen him say something to the effect of they have to live in the room.
Like sometimes a window is nice to look out of despite the acoustic reflections.
(But I can be wrong, and pretty often too.)

However  it does look like a bit of a challenging space.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 11:01 AM, stratocaster said:

Thanks all for the feedback. I am going to skip the idea of keeping the sub close to a new wide main rack that I am planning to get. The original idea was to have the rack and the sub in the center (where the piano is) rather than tucked away in the corner (see picture) but there’s not a whole lot of room to wiggle in.

Some strings of your piano are not damped and will resonate to color the speaker sound.....also, looks like a bad place for your phono.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:01 AM, stratocaster said:

6994240A-8A77-443E-9A25-48CFC00CE556.jpeg