My speaker set up with amps

This is with the speakers finally on the granite.  The mono blocks are next to the TV stand.  I am waiting on the Server/DAC/analog volume control (all one unit) will arrive later this week.  I used 3" granite and added an extra 4 washers.  There are a ton of washers on the rear spike. I hope I got the rake correct. I'm terrible at set ups, lol.  I can move the speakers easily now that it's on the granite.

03A313EF-2030-46FF-971B-F5017ABD1FDE.heic E02DE76C-EC03-44A4-B907-0104440B6820.heic AD975039-8223-4A9E-B358-8D850AF71D26.heic

Edited by ctsooner
trying to get photo's to load
  • Like 2

Hey!  That looks exactly the same as our setup.

But, entirely different.

Yeah, with the granite platforms the number of washers on the rear spike looks out of proportion, but it's right based on measurements and calculations I made.  Oddly enough, what the instructions say exactly matches what the Stereophile measurements show with regard to best performance.  Imagine that.  I also added the "Oops!  Don't let the speaker tip over and crush the dog" spikes on the rear, too.  Previously, the rear was so low on the carpet that they weren't needed.

I bet the new set-up has that reviewer's "deep black silence" with no source attached...

LOL...how can you see the pics?  I don't see them.  just boxes that have letters and numbers etc...  Hmmmm....  I believe I'll get my server in anodized black to match the speakers and amps.  They told me they will offer any car paint color or various anodized colors.  I'll see as they just changed machine shops as it will be a totally new chassis design.  I'm excited to see the prototype drawings.  Love this hobby.  

Time=yes, money=I'm a guinea pig if you would.  The server right now is by far the best sounding made.  A reviewer for TAS and a close friend has had every top server made in his room and I've been there for a few of them.  It hasn't been close.

The DAC is very good, but the new one will be MUCH better.  I had the Ayre QX5/20 DAC and LOVED it.  It's a great unit and for the cost, I think it's as good as anything I've heard under 15k (to my ears).  Empirical Audio DAC's to me are extreme.  Their top DAC is as good as anything I've heard under 30k (and that includes Rossini WITH the clock.  Steve (the owner/designer) is a great guy.  The only reason I sold his DAC was because he will retire eventually and won't be able to support the DAC.  This is the issue wiht many of the DACs as they are like speaker designers in the 70's/80's/90's who sold out of their houses.  Some, like Richard were young and grew into real businesses.  Many of the digital guys are older and one man bands.  

Sorry to go off on my tangents, but it's part of the back story.  The DAC they are installing should be in the Rossini range.  They will be updating it constantly in it's hardware and software.  

I'm most concerned about the volume control.  Mark invented the light volume control that is now being used by many DIY'ers.  I've never heard it before, but that was one potential for the control.  I think they are going to a more traditional control, but I'm not sure which one.  Richard said that running directly from a volume control should sound great as the output matches nicely with the amps.  I forget all the numbers as they make little sense to me (I'm to an engineer and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night).  

If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to get a top preamp.  IF I can get the sound that I want out of this unit, it will be awesome as I get to cut out a full component and interconnects.  That's a TON of cash.  Time will tell.  IT's fun and frustrating, lol.  

On 11/30/2020 at 5:33 PM, BKDad said:

I also added the "Oops!  Don't let the speaker tip over and crush the dog" spikes on the rear, too.  Previously, the rear was so low on the carpet that they weren't needed.

I once tripped over one of my former Treo CTs in the dark and went down with it, trying to protect it and also avoid being crushed. I was partially successful on both counts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Gallup said:

I once tripped over one of my former Treo CTs in the dark and went down with it, trying to protect it and also avoid being crushed. I was partially successful on both counts.

A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless to protect all involved, had a similar thing  happen with his Quatro's and his wife.  Never a good time.

OMG, I've never heard of speakers toppling down.  Now twice.  Rutan put mine in the corner of the loft, so few would ever walk near them.  I never even thought that they were safer there, lol.  I do wish those outrigger spikes were much longer.  Mine are down about 1/8" from the granite and I think they'd just break off and tear the bottom of the speaker rather than prevent a tumble.  I have to figure that out later today after reading these posts, lol.... Thanks for the safety tips.  glad everyone was ok.

14 hours ago, andrewtgt said:

I took the liberty of converting the pictures to .jpeg so that they're visible here. 

The gloss black makes them look like they're from outer space hehe.

03A313EF-2030-46FF-971B-F5017ABD1FDE.jpg

AD975039-8223-4A9E-B358-8D850AF71D26.jpg

E02DE76C-EC03-44A4-B907-0104440B6820.jpg

OMG, thanks for doing that.  I wasn't able to figure it out.  yes they blend into the decor. It's why I installed small cans in the ceiling above each one.  I use a daylight LED so you can see the copper metallic flake that Audi used.  I have bright LED spots that I could also use if I wanted to make a statement of how pretty the color is. If I had to do it over though, I'd have chosen a crimson color or some of the others I've seen.  I do miss the wood at times, but I LOVE the auto paint look as do visitors.  Thanks again 

Gosh Peter  ..........  I didn't know that Quatros were even available in auto paint versions.  Those are BEAUTIFUL!!

I'm a little like Richard (in one small sense), aesthetics are not top of my list.  But, I do like the appearance of all one color.  If I'm ever fortunate enough to upgrade from my fabric to Quatro Wood CT's,  I'll try to get the cabinet to match the grill as closely as possible (& affordable ....... LOL).