Cotton insulated silver interconnects ?

I have a long stretch of Mogami cable and Neutrik ProFi RCAs and XLRs.
But thinking of running cotton covered 22/23 gauge silver from the TT to phono, phono to Preamp, and Preamp to amp(s).
Probably with some ETI ends.

Does anyone have thoughts?

It seems like the dielectric “index” of cotton sort of mitigates the effects that things like the biased AQ cables are trying to overcome…??

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Dang, you come up with the weirdest posts.🙂

But, what the heck are ETI ends?

B

ETI makes the ends of the IC (and speaker cables): https://eti-research.com/kryo-connectors/

The cotton, and/or silk, insulation was in style 50-100 years ago… and its dielectric constant is close to 1,
These days they either use foamed teflon, or the battery biasing as alternative ways to try and get around some effects that I do not fully understand… but that everyone seems to think is important.

ETI will not sell 1/2 sets, so I’ll use the Neutrik ends for the TT to phono, as it needs to do female XLR to RCA.
But I am still thinking about the cotton cover silver.

AQ mentions some of it here: https://www.audioquest.com/cables/speaker-cables/type-series/type-9-dbs

of course, my 1967 MGB had a cotton insulation/ shellac wire harness, with it running you could take the key out of the ignition and shut the car off with the headlight switch…. incredibly great stereo separation…..

ha 

Edited by TomicTime
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Interesting, If cotton/silk insulation has a low dielectric constant, I wonder why cable manufacturers haven't used it by now?

B

FWIW, my speaker cables are from Morrow Audio.  A couple years ago, Mike introduced cotton insulation in most of his cable line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Well, that is the thing I was wondering about.

AQ uses the Dielectric module on their cables, but if cotton has a low dielectric value, why not use that instead?

B

I dunno Bob… cables mostly seems like a lot of BS and marketing. (e.g. all the inter strand jitter/distortion stuff)
They maybe good but I am afraid to even go try them, and my hearing may not be that stellar as I am not convinced that I have heard cables being better or worse.
I am not need sure I can tell when the polarity is flipped very reliably.

But silver and cotton seems natural. (and there is all the vampire lore of silver.)

One of my TT fellows (US) does cotton (or silk?) covered wires and ETI ends.
The other one (AUS) said, “you want to go from the tiny lintz to a larger wire as soon as possible,” and to just make up an XLR to RCA cable.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:57 AM, TomicTime said:

of course, my 1967 MGB had a cotton insulation/ shellac wire harness, with it running you could take the key out of the ignition and shut the car off with the headlight switch…. incredibly great stereo separation…..

ha 

MGs have Lucas electronics?
As a point of trivial, Lucas also invented the beer fridge, which is coincidentally why the English are accustomed to drinking warm beer. 

What size do you wear?
37-9012-CP_1.jpg

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

Jeez, I never heard of Lucas electronics before and had a quick Google:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/lucas-electricals-as-bad-as-everyone-says/

I knew British cars from mid Twentieth century had issues. But, this takes the cake.

This also reminds me of an Inspector Morse episode where his car is in the shop for electric difficulties. Did Lucas get installed on old Jag Mark 2's?

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Jeez, I never heard of Lucas electronics before and had a quick Google:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/lucas-electricals-as-bad-as-everyone-says/

The rhetorical question that the URL title has… should be answered with “It is probably worse than everyone says.”
As an owner of both a British made car, as well as a boutique older AUS truck, I cannot over emphasise Tefzel wire, a Fluke meter… and in the truck, having a field repair kit.
I do not replace any wire in either vehicle with anything but Tefzel, as I am too lazy to want to do it again down the road.

45 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

I knew British cars from mid Twentieth century had issues. But, this takes the cake.

This also reminds me of an Inspector Morse episode where his car is in the shop for electric difficulties. Did Lucas get installed on old Jag Mark 2's?

Bob

Most good humour has a foot in truthfulness. Inspector Morse is likely correct.

Secondly; I believe that I can recognise that metallic tan/brown car by the tail.
And… I believe that it was probably a better handling car than most in 1967.

And to be fair, I doubt that we had the issues with rats and mice eating wiring looms in the 60s. And the amount of sensors and electronics has increased from then through to the new EURO-6 emissions… so there is a lot more wiring now.

Back to the TT —> Phono and Phono —> Preamp…
I might just take a plunge and try it if no one has run any of these types of ICs.

I am not even sure I can get battery biased cables in the mail. They would probably be deemed hazardous, and attract a heavy shipping charge.
Plus… I would like to remove some of the rats nest look, by having cabling (ICs) be closer to ideal (custom) lengths.

Edited by Holmz

Guys, if you audition cables and cords, you can tell the differences.  You just have to figure out cost, benefit, analysis to see where you stop.  Garth at AQ has legitimate measurements as to what his cables and cords are doing.  All I know is that I've auditioned most of their cables adn cords and feel they make a decent difference, but after something costs over 1500, it must be a true component upgrade to me (does that make sense? It's just how I do it and doesn't make it right etc..).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ctsooner said:

but after something costs over 1500, it must be a true component upgrade to me 

I'll wait until it 'Trickles down' to the used market. I love my stereo, but sometimes these items get a bit too pricey. (Though I should talk- after buying the Nyquist).

But, that was different.

I swear😁!

bob

• Like 1

Yeah Pete, my friend from SD says the same thing.
(Well… he has not been in SD for 2 decades, but we used to go to Garths once in a while and to the ModSquad place in LaJollla or near there)

I am just too damned remote, so I figured I would bust out the iron and solder.

• Like 1

just bailed on San D for Summer and Fall fishing in the Pac NW. I missed it when it rained here today…

Ya, Lucas was so bad my Dad had a standing bet we couldn’t get 30 miles from home and back in the MG without some sort of failure… oh well….

So low dielectric properties are desirable as long as insulation and durability is maintained. AQ cables have fairly exotic materials and as you climb the range you get better metal, better insulation and better connectors, typically with some geometry improvements and better shielding.. Most of the low dielectric materials ARE known, Teflon, FEP ….and air along w 300 count bedsheets torn asunder.. ( not really…well maybe, some of your tweakers know no boundaries… ). Most cable manufacturers have access to these materials, especially air. 

the AC musical signal MAY adequately form the dielectric…. or not….DBS keeps it formed w high voltage but tiny currant. So music sounds better sooner. Think about this….. a bit…. we all want more of the magic that ( depending on your system )  happens AFTER it  “….warms up “

DBS is instant warm up for your cables..

And yes, i have a bunch of non DBS cables from Nordost, Kimber, LFD, etc…. they all sound different…but the Reference system is chock a block full of silver AQ cables w DBS…

none built by Lucas !

ha, have fun, gents !

• Like 2