Vanderseen Has A Profound Effect on How I View Audio Now

Huang

8 hours ago, Huang said:

Good point Stringreen. That tactical pleasant vibration/shudder is what listening to music is all about. For me when something sounds right/good I feel it. I do think some of that resides in how the music is presented... which is one of the reasons we are all in this forum. 

I was just listening to earphones while walking from one room to another....and I can hear a difference in the sound as I go from a small office to the kitchen, and then to the "listening room".  I (for one) listen with my whole body.

What an interesting thread. I’m putting my top cans up for sale as they are special run cup of Bocote wood that Zac at ZMF built.   It’s the same as speakers IRT materials sounding differently. The Bocote sounds better to me and most, than the zebra wood, Purple Heart etc.  

There is a big need for headphones or IEMs. It’s a fun and not too expensive space to play in. Glad many use them for late night etc. 

Just saw this question but this will never happen!  There is no way to do this tape monitor or headphone source without compromising the sound quality of the "Direct" throughput.  One could unplug the one preamp output from the amplifier and plug it into a headphone amp when needed or use a high quality "Y" adaptor, but this would also degrade the sonic performance.  I should clarify the sonic degradation is not primarily because of the adapter but the fact that the output stage of the preamp is loaded by the second component connected to it (even if turned off) adding resistive and nonlinear capacitance.  The market if full of great preamps that have accepted sonic compromise for convivence, but this is not what we want to do.  We are incorporating some wonderful features, but they are not in the signal path (including any addition switches, relays or resistors) in the "Direct" mode.  RV

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nrenter said:

This makes my pet Dragon (a Nakamichi Dragon) sad. Yeah, I'm in the minority, but I do love my mixtapes. #stuckinthe90s 

We know our electronics are not for everyone.  Dean and I have no intention to compete with established manufactures; only to make products unique and of no interest to them.  We hope to offer performance advantages like hi-pass amplifiers unique to Vandersteen speakers.  You may choose to use a "Y" adapter on the output because you find the degradation small enough, but you would make that value judgement.  RV

• Like 1

Sounds like it’s simple. Just change the configuration when you want to use cans. To many, it’s worth doing for private listening. I honestly have a separate desktop iFI headphone amp as well as a top DAP. 

Ive been a fan of Dean’s designs for years and I’m sure the new pre will crush when it comes out. I can’t wait to get one and already have money saved for it. Selling some gear now to afford it lol.  Closest thing to an active system that still allows you to sell you speakers to move up later, if needed 

On 8/31/2022 at 9:46 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Just saw this question but this will never happen!  There is no way to do this tape monitor or headphone source without compromising the sound quality of the "Direct" throughput.  One could unplug the one preamp output from the amplifier and plug it into a headphone amp when needed or use a high quality "Y" adaptor, but this would also degrade the sonic performance.  I should clarify the sonic degradation is not primarily because of the adapter but the fact that the output stage of the preamp is loaded by the second component connected to it (even if turned off) adding resistive and nonlinear capacitance.  The market if full of great preamps that have accepted sonic compromise for convivence, but this is not what we want to do.  We are incorporating some wonderful features, but they are not in the signal path (including any addition switches, relays or resistors) in the "Direct" mode.  RV

Thanks for responding, I didn't know if there would be a sonic detriment. I did know you wouldn't do if there were.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, Huang said:

@bkeske I prefer the speakers, but I am not a divorced bachelor and at this point don't want to be 🙂 

I hear you. I am newly semi-retired, and can listen to speakers as loud as I want during the day when my wife is at work. At night, it used to require lower volumes or headphones if she was watching TV in the living room next door. I don't listen much above 85db but she likes it much quieter, a bone of contention even though I have a small dedicated listening room. So, I would use phones at night a lot. Now that I am listening though speakers about 90% of the time, it has affirmed that I much prefer that. I have good budget ref cans (Sennheiser 650) and a good headphone amp, but speakers are the way whenever possible! IMHO