More Blood, More Tracks

John Gallup

Not exactly new, but these out-takes or alternates from the 1975 recording of Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" are  great  listening:  just him and his guitar and harmonica, bass on a track or two. This is the first time I've listened on the Quatro M5-HPA system and it's pretty wonderful:  intimate, beautifully focused.

If you like Dylan, that is. I realize not everyone does. Too bad!

blood trax.jpg

Edited by John Gallup

Though I've listened to Bob Dylan for 40+ years, it has only been the last six or so that I have dug deeper.  The volume of work that he has amassed (and recently sold) is mind boggling.  A few years back, a friend gave me the Tell Tale Signs box set.  I had never heard of it, but really enjoy it.  Thank you for the recommendation.  

This is the first time I've listened on the Quatro M5-HPA system  .................. I am so envious John; maybe someday.

Play on

• Like 1

Tell Tale Signs contains, what is for me, one the very best songs this man ever wrote and performed:  Red River Shore.  Stunning in its beauty, and he chose to not release it at the time it was recorded!  This set also contains so very many wonderful versions of another great song, Mississippi.  Oh my, do I love these recordings.  

3 hours ago, RWP said:

Tell Tale Signs contains, what is for me, one the very best songs this man ever wrote and performed:  Red River Shore.  Stunning in its beauty, and he chose to not release it at the time it was recorded!  This set also contains so very many wonderful versions of another great song, Mississippi.  Oh my, do I love these recordings.  

Thanks for this tip; I didn't know about that album. The Tidal listing doesn't contain a song with that title, though. Could you be referring to the track named "The Girl on the Greenbriar Shore?"

By the way, any Dylan fans who don't know about dylanchords.info ought to take a look at it. Compiled by  Eyolf Østrem  (whom I don't think would consider it unfair to be described as "an obsessed Dylan fan"), it contains lyrics, chords, and tablature for all of Dylan's songs, as well as essays about various topics.

Edited by John Gallup

RWP, I must go back and revisit Tell Tale Signs; it's been a while since I've played it.  It will always be significant to me; the friend who gave it to me lost his battle with cancer a couple years ago.  I've known him 30 + years.  He was one of the longest tenure sales reps at Genesis Audio in Lake Forest CA (now also gone).  Tom was a born salesman, couldn't help but like the guy, and also served for a short time on Jethro Tull's road crew.

Yes, Mr Zimmerman made some great music.

1 hour ago, RWP said:

Hi John,

There is a deluxe edition, three CDs, see attached, its as I originally stated, and well-worth the effort to locate it!  Its the 5th song on the first disc.  

This explains the odd track numbering  Tidal has, with many missing numbers.  Thanks, I'll look for the disks.