THX certified amp question

I got curious and Googled THX.

It seems to be an unofficial group that promotes a certain standard of amps/receivers/speakers.

To my jaded eyes/ears, it seems like another group hoping to hop on the 'new standard' bandwagon, like Dolby did/does, and MQA is attempting.

Just my 2 cents...

Bob

AudioKarma.com has a thread on the subject. One guy posted a link to info from about 20 years ago.

I added "The Bottom Line" statement below.

Here's an excerpt:

The Certification Process

As romantic as it sounds, manufacturers do not simply submit a product to THX for testing and then get a yea or nay. A THX product starts with the manufacturer purchasing the expensive and confidential THX Design Manual for the product in question. THX products are designed to be THX products. The manufacturer knows what they have to do from square one. Once they have a working sample, it is sent to THX where it is tested, for a fee, and either checks out and a license granted, or it is sent back with a report on what needs to be addressed. THX tells us that they have yet to receive a product which got everything 100% right on the first try.

Licensees then pay a small per-unit license fee for the manufactured product.

I hope everyone can appreciate why, to this day, the particulars of THX’s criteria are not public. They are a business like any other and they need to protect their intellectual property. If everything was out in the open, people could just say, “It meets or beats the THX criteria”, and THX would get nothing. They’d fold, and we’d never get all the benefits they’ve brought this industry over the years.

BOTTOM LINE: This is why the specs for THX equipment is not out there for the public! The only hope to figure things out are an A to B comparison of the same amp - THX and non THX.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DC-93 said:

BOTTOM LINE: This is why the specs for THX equipment is not out there for the public! The only hope to figure things out are an A to B comparison of the same amp - THX and non THX.

8 hours ago, DC-93 said:

If everything was out in the open, people could just say, “It meets or beats the THX criteria”, and THX would get nothing. They’d fold, and we’d never get all the benefits they’ve brought this industry over the years.

My 2+ cents....

Well, this seems to confirm my suspicions. THX provides no proof that their criteria 'sounds better', or more accurate.- Just different, like Dolby and MQA. And, why any reputable manufacturer would sign on to design their equipment to that standard, is beyond me.

Ah, the march of time....

Dolby started with, in my opinion, a really crappy noise reduction system. That they are still messing up movie soundtracks is beyond me. 

MQA is hoping to cash in on this, too.

When any company claims their secret sauce is the reason to buy their products, make sure your wallet is in a secure place.

Bob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

THX is a certification standard for movie theaters. (Not sure how that would translate to consumer electronics, other than marketing.)

Dolby is a legit music and film industry tech company that also licenses their name and technologies for consumer products. 

On 11/2/2022 at 2:44 AM, DC-93 said:

I looked all over and can't find the answer.  "They" are secretive about THX info!

Does a THX Certified solid state amp have zero phase shift? 

What equipment does have phase shifts? (Preamps, amps, CD players, TTs, DSPs, Carts, Speakers)
It is pretty difficult to have wide bandwidth and effect a phase shift…

DSPs and Speakers can do phase shifts… intentionally or otherwise.
But I think that the rest do not.

3 hours ago, ursus13 said:

Dolby is a legit music and film industry tech company that also licenses their name and technologies for consumer products. 

I beg to differ.

I remember when Dolby got introduced in the 70's. Great noise reduction, blah blah. It only raised the noise floor as a way to compensate for it.

At least in the digital age, we can take care of this ourselves. But, the fact that Dolby is still ensconced in the film industry is beyond me.

Just Google Dolby and film composers and you'll see that many of them find Dolby to be the bane of their existence.

B

• Like 1

Threads wander, it's all good!

I had an old McIntosh MC240 that had a phase shift spec in the manual stated as "0, +/- 6 degrees".

It was an extremely sweet-sounding amp!!    Ron Cornelius of McIntosh told me the phase shift was at the extreme ends of the bandwidth.

It was under the low response of my speakers, and beyond audibility on the top end.   

No "THX" specs back in the 60s!      

Look at vintage audio reviews of amplifiers, both tube and solid state, to see which ones passed a square wave. (The ultimate test)   

1 hour ago, TomicTime said:

no….. in fact….if i ever get to it…i have a project going to build an RPG style diffuser plug for the fireplace…..

What is an RPG style plug?

I am getting some Rockwool to make some plugs for a couple of fireplaces, mostly because I want to use the majority of the rockwool for diffusers elsewhere… and that it may be a bit easier to work with and more effective than the pink Owen’s Corning stuff.

I can envision the flue like a Helmholz resonator and damping the throat of it may also such out some bass… I dunno…
Mostly it is to provide a barrier for the ash that occasionally falls down and keep it off of the puppy’s new four poster bed.,, but I figured maybe it would help a bit sonically??

1 hour ago, TomicTime said:

no….. in fact….if i ever get to it…i have a project going to build an RPG style diffuser plug for the fireplace…..

Aw, that is too bad, I really like a fireplace in a room, but can acknowledge the fact it would be a fire hazard for your amps/equipment. And, is that a stone on the M5 crossovers?

B

RPG is an acoustical treatment company w excellent engineering chops. I have in mind a Quadratic like tgis tgat will serve two functions; diffuser and literally a plug for the fireplace… photo is an example…many Vandy dealers have very nice examples…

Yes Bob - that is river stone painted by artist friend of mine…. in a mandala pattern… it holds down the filters  so the rca pigtails stay connected….

D90D7385-BB35-46AD-B17F-26A7CE3E0DAD.jpeg

• Like 2

I find it interesting that equipment often benefits from having a dense, heavy object on it- with regards to sound reproduction.

I can understand it when it comes to something like a loudspeaker or sub, but when even small objects like the M5 crossovers exhibit sonic clarity/benefits, I just have to shake my head.

B

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I find it interesting that equipment often benefits from having a dense, heavy object on it- with regards to sound reproduction.

I can understand it when it comes to something like a loudspeaker or sub, but when even small objects like the M5 crossovers exhibit sonic clarity/benefits, I just have to shake my head.

B

One can quell the head shake with a rock on it 🤭
The Gods even used that back in Ancient Greece to keep Sisyphus’ background noise down.

It probably would not have happened if he had served the thanksgiving dinner of turkey and stuffing… but, as they say, we learn as we go.

Edited by Holmz