Waterfall Plot

Gsal

So, I just watched RV's video explanation of the three specs that he feels best describe a loudspeakers performance. I was particularly intrigued by the waterfall plot and how it relates to the sound of the speaker. I fully understand that I may be nit picking but I have a question about the difference between the waterfall plots of the Treo CT and the Quatro Wood CT.

Comparing the two published plots it appears that the Quatro has more "stored energy" between 1K -3K than the Treo. As I am in the process of upgrading from the Treo to the Quatro I am curious why this would be. They both use the same drivers in this frequency range although the cabinets are obviously different.

It just surprises me that the Treo would appear to have a better waterfall plot than the Quatro. Like I said, I may be nit picking and this difference may not be audible but I'd appreciate any comments.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Good observation, but this is the risk I take publishing graphs. The Quatro goes lower and runs into the limits of our chamber, causing this slight increase on the graph. Also, near the floor of the measurements, there can be aberrations as these measurements occur during the work day when machines kick on and off, leaking in at -24 dB. The point of these waterfall graphs is to compare to other designs, especially in the mids and highs for the first 12 dB of the 24 dB total shown. I assure you the Quatro CT will outperform the Treo CT, which I hope you verified by auditioning before buying them.  

No graph or specification will be a definitive indicator of the quality of a speaker. Still, they can weed out those which have a lot of instruments (fabricated sound of their own) in them and less transducer (reproduction accuracy) as this serves all music. RV.

• Thanks 1

@GsalCongrats on your new Quattro  🙂 You are in good hands. Most speaker companies don’t have an anechoic chamber  let alone  a frugality implemented one that us mere mortals  can afford. I did spooky classified stuff  for a living, a deluxe chamber is big money. My best to you and your eagle eye !

Jim

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Good observation, but this is the risk I take publishing graphs. The Quatro goes lower and runs into the limits of our chamber, causing this slight increase on the graph. Also, near the floor of the measurements, there can be aberrations as these measurements occur during the work day when machines kick on and off, leaking in at -24 dB. The point of these waterfall graphs is to compare to other designs, especially in the mids and highs for the first 12 dB of the 24 dB total shown. I assure you the Quatro CT will outperform the Treo CT, which I hope you verified by auditioning before buying them.  

No graph or specification will be a definitive indicator of the quality of a speaker. Still, they can weed out those which have a lot of instruments (fabricated sound of their own) in them and less transducer (reproduction accuracy) as this serves all music. RV.

Thank you for the explanation Richard. Like I said, I am just a curious guy and your excellent video prompted me to delve further into the published graphs...perhaps a bit too much. As you say no graph is a definitive indicator of speaker quality. I anxiously await the installation of my new Quatro's and am confident that they will exceed my expectations in my room. I applaud your dedication to the art of loudspeaker design and transparency with regard to performance specs. Thanks again for the joy you have brought into my life.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomicTime said:

@GsalCongrats on your new Quattro  🙂 You are in good hands. Most speaker companies don’t have an anechoic chamber  let alone  a frugality implemented one that us mere mortals  can afford. I did spooky classified stuff  for a living, a deluxe chamber is big money. My best to you and your eagle eye !

Jim

Maybe I should change my on-line name to Eagle Eye.😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gsal said:

I anxiously await the installation of my new Quatro's and am confident that they will exceed my expectations in my room.

Gsal, while my experience with the Treo is limited to a few sessions at Jim's cave by the sea, I am confident you will be bowled over with your new Quatro Wood CT's.  You will remember the holiday season of 2022 for a long time.

Play on

4 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

Gsal, while my experience with the Treo is limited to a few sessions at Jim's cave by the sea, I am confident you will be bowled over with your new Quatro Wood CT's.  You will remember the holiday season of 2022 for a long time.

Play on

Thanks Steve.

we made big tubes, travelling wave…. monster stuff…..

By the 1950s, after further development at the Electron Tube Laboratory at Hughes Aircraft Company in Culver City, California, TWTs went into production there, and by the 1960s TWTs were also produced by such companies as the English Electric Valve Company, followed by Ferranti in the 1970s.[16][17][18]

On July 10, 1962, the first communications satellite, Telstar 1, was launched with a 2 W, 4 GHz RCA-designed TWT transponder used for transmitting RF signals to Earth stations. Syncom 2 was successfully launched into geosynchronous orbit on July 26, 1963 with two 2 W, 1850 MHz Hughes-designed TWT transponders — one active and one spare.[19][20]

• Like 1

And a “Travelling Wave Tube” (TWT) is usually attached to an amplifier making it a TWTA assembly.

1 hour ago, TomicTime said:

…  at Hughes Aircraft Company in Culver City, California…

So not the El Sigundo one across from the Wild Goose.

I do not think you are old enough to know Sun who worked for Howard ???

• Like 1