Quatro CT set-up

Been out of action for some months . System hasn't been fired up since last on the forum and still faced with the issue of proper dialing in my Quatros. The wife and I tried adjusting the settings with not much luck.  Have  a dealer close by but they won't touch anything not purchased from them.

Anyone have any ideas? At this point I'm willing to dig pretty deep to get the Quatros done.

Jordan`

I find that a dealer who won't do set up unless they buy something from them is pretty short sighted, especially nowadays.

Let's face it, the internet has made all but the well healed buyers of used audiophile equipment. To shun 2nd and 3rd hand owners service, seems to me, an easy way to lose potential future sales, not to mention goodwill.

Bob 

When I bought my Quatros and M5 amps, I assumed delivery and setup would be included.  The setup was explained to me as a "strongly suggested $300 tip".  I ended up breaking in the gear for several weeks and then doing it all myself.  This seemed overwhelming at first but turned out to be pretty easy, and I understand the gear now.  I did a post about doing the room EQ on my Quatros, you might search for it.  I did not ask my wife for help, instead I facetime'd with an iphone and ipad, and I recommend that route also.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:10 PM, dsisssup said:

We are in NC.

Dsisssup, contact John at Audio Connection 973-239-1299 and ask how much it would cost to get Samier to dial the whole system.  Setting up the Quatro's is not difficult, but it is also not an exact science.  People needing exact instructions are not going to get it because the system doesn't totally correct for all problems just minimizes them beyond other designs.  Having help from someone who has dialed many systems will always be a benefit beyond just the speaker setup  RV.

• Like 1

Jon is referring to using two devices mirrored or facetime so you can see the SPL meter at the listening position while adjusting the EQ pots behind the speaker.

When doing this don’t be tempted to adjust to flat in one move - use the 1/3 adjustment method and as RV stated work upwards in frequency.

Also, lets be clear…even with the EQ controls set factory flat you are going to get fantastic bass with prudent use of the Q and level control ! Frankly better than anything else…

Jim

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Dsisssup, contact John at Audio Connection 973-239-1299 and ask how much it would cost to get Samier to dial the whole system.  Setting up the Quatro's is not difficult, but it is also not an exact science.  People needing exact instructions are not going to get it because the system doesn't totally correct for all problems just minimizes them beyond other designs.  Having help from someone who has dialed many systems will always be a benefit beyond just the speaker setup  RV.

Robert Taylor and his wife adjusted the settings but the speakers were in a really bad room.  My wife finally gave in and allowed me to move into a room that sounds much better and the adjustment worked better however,  I changed the settings looking to dial in better settings and was unsuccessful.  Can't get Robert to come back.  I will give John a call, thanks.

Jordan

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, TomicTime said:

i heard he retired…. Robert. I got my ARC preamp from him. He is a gem of a guy.

If you are referring to John Rutan, he is not retired. Just bought my Quatros from him and Samir performed the set-up.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 4:24 AM, JonM said:

When I bought my Quatros and M5 amps, I assumed delivery and setup would be included.  The setup was explained to me as a "strongly suggested $300 tip".  I ended up breaking in the gear for several weeks and then doing it all myself.  This seemed overwhelming at first but turned out to be pretty easy, and I understand the gear now.  I did a post about doing the room EQ on my Quatros, you might search for it.  I did not ask my wife for help, instead I facetime'd with an iphone and ipad, and I recommend that route also.

JonM, this is very rare with my dealers!  Normally any additional fee (tip) only happens if some significant travel is required, or it was traded for some discount in price.  RV

• Like 1

Having done some renovations and remodeling my listening room I am considering re-setting up my Quatro CTs.  The dealer set them up initially and has offered to come back out and re-check them (for a fee I am sure) but I may try to do it myself.  I have watched the video and I have a Radio Shack sound level meter.  What I don't seem to have however is the little plastic adjustment tool for adjusting the pots.  Either the dealer didn't leave it with me or he did and I have since lost it.  I am assuming this is a generic tool that I can obtain on my own but what is it called?  What is the size?

On 11/8/2022 at 7:59 PM, Holmz said:

^That^ would pretty much suck for people that move states for work or family.

What state are you in @dsisssup?
(Maybe someone is close by.)

What kind of business is that local guy running?   Surely he should charge but doing so would show you that he's interested and capable...setting up for a future sale.

24 minutes ago, randyhat said:

Having done some renovations and remodeling my listening room I am considering re-setting up my Quatro CTs.  The dealer set them up initially and has offered to come back out and re-check them (for a fee I am sure) but I may try to do it myself.  I have watched the video and I have a Radio Shack sound level meter.  What I don't seem to have however is the little plastic adjustment tool for adjusting the pots.  Either the dealer didn't leave it with me or he did and I have since lost it.  I am assuming this is a generic tool that I can obtain on my own but what is it called?  What is the size?

It is a "Spectrol" tunning tool but any small screwdriver will work.  Make a mark on the handle that is in line with the blade, so you have an indication when the pot is at "noon" or straight up.  Use some caution turning the pot as the rotation stops are easy to break and the pots are expensive to replace.  RV 

On 11/11/2022 at 2:58 PM, GdnrBob said:

Side Track-

Is setting up the Sub 3 identical or close to setting up the Quatro bass?

I just got the Treo CT's and think I need to do a complete rework of my Sub 3 settings.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't know if anyone responded to this question.  The main difference is the crossover point which can be set on the M5-HPB crossover using a voltmeter.  The procedure is on the setup sheet found here: https://www.vandersteen.com//media/files/Manuals/SUB THREE Setup Worksheet 100821 copy.pdf  Once the crossover is correct, the setup is the same as the Quatro. We are here if you need further assistance.

• Like 2