Orange Kentos at Capitol Audio Fest

1 hour ago, Delkat said:

Does anyone know what a Vandersteen HPA interface cable is?

42DBFD17-1F8E-4E43-BB97-9385D30A6211.thumb.jpeg.9b420dab0822eceb056f62f495c84f6c.jpeg

Not a clue.
But one could save $30k on not getting the DAC, ands another $5.4k on the server.

It would be a nice system.
😎

Edited by Holmz

These will soon be part of the M5-HPA package (similar to the M7-HPA) at a higher price point.  Because both amplifiers are devoid of all additional components for stability (inter stage resistors, emitter resistors, output inductors or compensation capacitors) the output interface needs to be included for reliability.  It proves the sonic importance of having the speaker, interface, high-pass and amplifier all on the same page.  RV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

These will soon be part of the M5-HPA package (similar to the M7-HPA) at a higher price point.  Because both amplifiers are devoid of all additional components for stability (inter stage resistors, emitter resistors, output inductors or compensation capacitors) the output interface needs to be included for reliability.  It proves the sonic importance of having the speaker, interface, high-pass and amplifier all on the same page.  RV

Richard,

Is that what the box is in between the speakers in the photo?  I assume there will be new version of the M5-HPA with some kind of control interface to talk to the box?

Thanks 

Exciting stuff to say the least.  I have always loved active speakers (the simplicity and ease on the users end), but most of them just didn't sound great.  So happy V went this way with their speakers.  It's not difficult to make the statement that you are getting a system that would cost you tens of thousands more to get sound that is as good (or maybe even not if you like time and phase correct and hear the difference).  Can't wait to hear more about the cable.  

On 11/13/2022 at 10:43 PM, Delkat said:

Is that what the box is in between the speakers in the photo?  I assume there will be new version of the M5-HPA with some kind of control interface to talk to the box?

No, the box in the middle is a Transparent PowerWave power conditioner used for the speakers and M5-HPA amps. The "interface cable" are soon-to-be-released speaker cables made specifically for the M5-HPA amps, similar to what is done with the M7-HPA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Hah! I guess you're an analog-only guy. I get that. 👍

Yeah @Aaron In ‘84 the fellow advising me said CDs are too new… So I got a TT.
Hence; I am late onset digital.

I had an old Nakamichi 5 CD deck got in the late 90s,  and just got a couple of RME DACS this year.

These days they sound good, but everyone tells me that I need a power conditioner, power cords, servers and a high end DAC…
So I am still unsure. The RME’s are seeming like they’re pretty good for $2k, and I wish I knew what to listen for to tell how good they are. 

They all seem to sound about the same through my Etymotic IMEs, and in the same shops on a “system”, it is hard to tell what is the room, speakers, etc.

Since I am a simple fellow I just use the RME with he iPad going into it.
And use it to record the TT with the ADC.

But I’ll likely set up as Roon server.
It is the time to  “get with the times.” 

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:48 AM, ctsooner said:

IMG_3953.thumb.jpeg.f209ce300406b6a6b9c6e42fef236d6f.jpeg

A few comments about the setup: The room was 63 X 21 feet with an approximate 10-foot ceiling. Overall the room was pretty good for a hotel room but suffered from slap echo.  The draping rid us of the slap echo problem completely.  We ended up 21 feet into the room or 1/3 due to the constraints for a complete kitchen behind the black drapes.  I divided the width by 5 to get the side wall distance.  We rolled the curtains up between speakers behind the Now Listen Here sign to increase soundstage depth and harmonic expansion dramatically.  To Now Listen Here's credit, they chose a sign that is made of a thin fabric without the plastic you see in a lot of popups.  The Bass was spectacular and rolled through the room.  They had a copy of Roger Water's Amused to Death on LP, and the effects came from behind as they should on a time-and-phase-correct speaker.  We made a change of preamp as the system seemed to prefer tubes.  The room lists says EMM Labs PRE but we used the Backert Labs Preamp.  The EMM was great but the Backert add some needed sparkle and warmth.  I have never heard either before walking into the space.  Overall I am very impressed by the electronics.  

One of the most important aspects of getting the system right is you can then play Opera, R&B, Classical, Jazz, Pop, vocal and many others which we did over the course of the three days.  It is fun to have Gen-X DJ'ing and choosing some new and great tunes. We also had reviewers ranging from 25-70 years old.  The show attracted kids from 2 years old to 90 years old.  It was a very successful show for bringing out a wide variety of folks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1