Upgrade 2C —> Treo CT, Quatro, Kento?

Holmz

Holmz, he was at UTAS in Hobart for a chemistry PhD.  Four years! He came back last fall to finish writing the dissertation at home, and has been applying for a variety of jobs. His work is separation and identification, and organic synthesis, primarily.

His college system was a small Arcam bluetooth streamer, a Sansui AU-555a, and Advent Prodigy speakers. He didn't take it to Australia, however.

My wife and I really liked Hobart, when the country finally opened for a visit.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zarf said:

Holmz, he was at UTAS in Hobart for a chemistry PhD.  Four years! He came back last fall to finish writing the dissertation at home, and has been applying for a variety of jobs. His work is separation and identification, and organic synthesis, primarily.

His college system was a small Arcam bluetooth streamer, a Sansui AU-555a, and Advent Prodigy speakers. He didn't take it to Australia, however.

My wife and I really liked Hobart, when the country finally opened for a visit.

It is hard not to like Hobart… and it would have been a great place to be during the covid times… compared to say, Melbourne.

His future sounds bright. (Pun not intended)

• 1 month later...

Considering a move up to the 3's from the 2Ce Sig. II's as the 3's have the bitchin' midrange which the 2 does not. Considering the move up just for the midrange.

Cody

Also, it is my impression the 3A is being phased out. As the new 2 Ce  Sig. III has the outstanding midrange  from the 3a and Treo I am wondering if there might be an upgrade kit (new, bitchin' midrange drivers plus X-overs) available for the 2?

Cody

Edited by Oregon

36 minutes ago, Oregon said:

Also, it is my impression the 3A is being phased out. As the new 2 Ce  Sig. III has the outstanding midrange  from the 3a and Treo I am wondering if there might be an upgrade kit (new, bitchin' midrange drivers plus X-overs) available for the 2?

Cody

Cody, no upgrades as it would cost almost as much as building a new pair because the only part to be recycled would be the cabinet!  The big difference is the inert cabinet starting with the TREO.  I have been working on a product to position between the 3 and TREO but the noise of the cabinet masks any improvement I make in the crossover or drivers.  Over my 45+ years I have run up against the fact that to make a significant improvement in every aspect of a speaker's performance the price doubles.  Today we have some aspects of the 2Ce Sig Mk III better than the 3A Signature but further refinement in the 3 series is masked by the noise of the cabinet, hence the Treo CT.  RV

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 4:41 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Cody, no upgrades as it would cost almost as much as building a new pair because the only part to be recycled would be the cabinet!  The big difference is the inert cabinet starting with the TREO.  I have been working on a product to position between the 3 and TREO but the noise of the cabinet masks any improvement I make in the crossover or drivers.  Over my 45+ years I have run up against the fact that to make a significant improvement in every aspect of a speaker's performance the price doubles.  Today we have some aspects of the 2Ce Sig Mk III better than the 3A Signature but further refinement in the 3 series is masked by the noise of the cabinet, hence the Treo CT.  RV

Richard,

That's very interesting, good to know. It sounds like Model2 Ce Sig. III's are in my future. Thank you for your expansive response.

Cody

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Oregon said:

Richard,

That's very interesting, good to know. It sounds like Model2 Ce Sig. III's are in my future. Thank you for your expansive response.

Cody

Cody, let your dealer know you are interested in a used pair of Treo CT's as people are trading up to the Quatro CT or KENTO all the time and call it good.  You will enjoy the blacker background of the silent inert cabinet and the resolution and listenability of the Carbon tweeter immensely.  RV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Cody, let your dealer know you are interested in a used pair of Treo CT's as people are trading up to the Quatro CT or KENTO all the time and call it good.  You will enjoy the blacker background of the silent inert cabinet and the resolution and listenability of the Carbon tweeter immensely.  RV

Hmmm... I'm curious, could non-CT Treos be upgraded to CT versions?

4 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Cody, let your dealer know you are interested in a used pair of Treo CT's as people are trading up to the Quatro CT or KENTO all the time and call it good.   RV

I have heard the Treos, they impressed with a smaller base response relative to the 2s. I like bass in music. Am running SVS Micro 3000 subs. I'll speak with Tim.

Thanks,

Cody

@Oregon Cody, I run my (non-CT) Treo’s with two non-Vandy subs…unfortunately at this time….and I can tell you, as much as I like my 2Ce Sigs, (and still have them and use them for rears in my HT configuration, and also as back-ups), The Treo’s with a couple of subs kicks butt. After you listen to  the Treo’s, it isn’t something you can unhear again.  I had to put my 2Ce Sigs back in my rig as my ‘mains’ for a short period of time, and as much as I really enjoyed them again, could not wait to get the Treo’s back in. 

I would highly recommend the Treo with a sub, or two. Your SVS may be just fine, as you do not need much for the added bass. They (Treo’s) provide incredible overall refinement to the overall presentation vs the 2’s. Now, the new 2’s do seem to have taken a big leap also but don’t think anyone would be displeased with a used pair of Treo’s, regardless.

Brian

2 hours ago, Boom Boom said:

Hmmm... I'm curious, could non-CT Treos be upgraded to CT versions?

Sorry, they can't be because there were internal enclosure changes (for bigger and lower base) and many crossover changes to integrate the Carbon Tweeter.  Would if I could.  RV

• Like 1

I had the original Treo's and the difference is a really nice upgrade (going to CT).  they are a special speaker. If you can find a used set, it's a worthy upgrade.  The new 2's are so freaking great when using top electronics, but the difference between to two is night vs day, but it should be at the Treo is in a totally different class as they should be for the cost differential.  

On 4/7/2024 at 5:41 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

I am also willing help out someone to get closer to an upgrade from a Treo CT.