Mike’s System

My original speakers were Vandersteen 2Ces that I have had for years (late 80s/early 90s). This past summer I found a seller offering a beautiful pair of Vandersteen 3A Signatures. They had been factory updated by Vandersteen in 2018 (I have all the paperwork!).

The turntable is a belt drive Music Hall MMF 9.3 with an Ortofon 2M Black LVB cartridge. I also have a Pro-Ject Tube BoxS2 as the phonostage with NOS late 50s vintage 12AX7 `Amperex tubes. The preamp is a Rogue RP-1, again with NOS early 60s vintage 12AU7 Bugle Boy tubes. The amplifier is a Rogue Audio DragoN hybrid class D utilizing a matched pair of gold pin 12AU7 Genalex Gold Lions. The DragoN uses NCore Hypex modules and is rated at 300/500 WPC 8/4 Ohms. It is a low negative feedback design and, to my ears, pairs extremely well with the 3A Sigs. 

Finally I have an old Philips CD player (it holds 5 discs) that still sounds good. I am using a DAC Magic 10 digital to analog converter (DAC) and using the old player as a transport. At this time I don’t have a network streamer, but instead use an iPad Pro feeding a iFi Zen DAC Signature V2 USB DAC for Tidal and Apple Music. 

Cables are a funny question and certainly a matter of personal choice. I use good custom made cables from Morrow Audio; MP6 bi-wire speaker cables and MA4 interconnects. 

`

D06AAA2E-C424-4C6E-BF9D-5D8D9D0AEA3D.jpeg

75019107-3054-4F3B-9CC8-486227F22F32.jpeg

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Mike!  Despite the prevailing preference for Audioquest cables (which I would like to explore further) among this forum, I too have Morrow cables; speaker (Elite), interconnect (MA6) and one power (MAP4) on my preamp.  And, I used to have the exact component rack you are using!  

Play on

Steve

• Like 2

Welcome, Mike! I’m also a new Sig 3a owner — bought a used but very well cared for pair this past fall.  Really enjoying them.  Looks like we also have similar wood floors.  I just got the Vandy feet to protect them.  Your positioning is much closer to the wall though.  How do you like that setup? Is it a large room?

Marty

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nymarty said:

Welcome, Mike! I’m also a new Sig 3a owner — bought a used but very well cared for pair this past fall.  Really enjoying them.  Looks like we also have similar wood floors.  I just got the Vandy feet to protect them.  Your positioning is much closer to the wall though.  How do you like that setup? Is it a large room?

Marty

It’s not a big room, about 12 X 20, and it’s our living room so placement options are fairly limited.  I played with the speaker placement until it got to the point where I am more than satisfied with the sound. I use Herbie Audio Lab’s cone/spike decoupling gliders,  and they do a great job of protecting the floor and allow me to easily adjust  speaker placement. 

17410E45-07F1-4010-8169-8ECF7551CFF7.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike Goetz said:

It’s not a big room, about 12 X 20, and it’s our living room so placement options are fairly limited.  I played with the speaker placement until it got to the point where I am more than satisfied with the sound. 

Personally I would still try pulling them out a couple feet from the wall just for a lark.
(They can always go back.)

Maybe more like 2-1/2 to 3’ 

On the WAF side  there is the Feng Shui, and it bugs the other half when the depth of the sound has the music seemingly coming from beyond the wall… but I like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmz said:

Personally I would still try pulling them out a couple feet from the wall just for a lark.
(They can always go back.)

Maybe more like 2-1/2 to 3’ 

On the WAF side  there is the Feng Shui, and it bugs the other half when the depth of the sound has the music seemingly coming from beyond the wall… but I like it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have had them out to about 2’. They sounded better, but not significantly so. This is the best compromise with the WAF fully in play. The music does sound really good though and every one is very happy. If we ever decide to completely rearrange the room, I would definitely do some more experimention on placement.  Until then I am content. 😊

• Like 3

On 2/5/2023 at 1:14 PM, Holmz said:

The music does sound really good though and every one is very happy

And that is the MOST important thing Mike!  You've already discovered how positioning affects the sound.  I've owned three pair of Vandersteens, since the mid-80's, and I still occasionally play around a little bit with position, toe-in, etc.   One small tweak you could do (under $200) is replace the Herbies cone / spike decoupling gliders with Vandersteen spike footers.  I did about a year ago.  It's not night and day, but I heard an increase in clarity & definition.  They can be ordered from any Vandersteen dealer.

Play on

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Edwards said:

The music does sound really good though and every one is very happy

Appreciate the advice. Once I had them in the position that sounded best to me I tried the speakers both with and without the Herbies for a few days each.  To these aged ears (I am 71) there was really no perceptible difference. If I could ever find a set of these elusive footers/shoes I might give them a try.  The problem is I can’t find them online and I am quite a distance from any dealer. 

1 hour ago, Steve Edwards said:

One small tweak you could do (under $200) is replace the Herbies cone / spike decoupling gliders with Vandersteen spike footers.  I did about a year ago.  It's not night and day, but I heard an increase in clarity & definition.  They can be ordered from any Vandersteen dealer.

BTW, one of my most useful tools for revealing the clarity and definition is a wonderful percussion group recording, “Smoke & Mirrors” from Yarlung Records. Highly recommended if you have an analog system. It is also available to stream on Tidal. 

EF753D46-B8E7-46D0-962B-51BAC48663B3.jpeg

61027F52-E84A-4104-8D33-38FD2D63AD03.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 2:37 PM, TomicTime said:

Mike - just call closest Vandy dealer to you. They don’t cost much to ship

So far the only response I’ve gotten from my closest dealer is to order them from Vandersteen direct. Vandersteen says to order from a dealer. Sort of a catch 22. 

On 2/14/2023 at 12:10 PM, ctsooner said:

Call John Rutan at Audio Connection in NJ or find a dealer closer to you and get them. Id love a PM from you sharing which dealer didn’t want to make that sale. Thanks. 

The latest email from this dealer (and they are a dealer according to the Vandersteen website), seems to suggest they are unsure about what the spike shoes are.  They said “When you say “spike shoes” do you mean the receptacles that the spikes sit into?” Very strange indeed.  I sent an email today to Audio Connection at RVs suggestion and they said to call. Sounds like a good and knowledgeable audio dealer  I wish they were closer; I live in RI. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stratocaster said:

let me know if John doesn't have them. I can pick them up from my local dealer and mail them to you... I just bought a set a couple of weeks back.

I greatly appreciate the offer, but I’m sure I can work it out. Did you notice improvement and could you possibly take a picture of the shoes?

• Like 1

Johnny is worth the 2.5 hr drive for me (I live in CT).  Nearly all the Vandy dealers I know are outstanding (I haven't talked or met all of them of course). I'm surprised that they don't know about spike shoes, but I bet Brad will make sure they do for the future.