Impex 45RPM Live in San Francisco

Huang

Thanks Huang. And that's what I'll cue up now as I shuffle around this morning.

Have you spent anytime with McLaughlin's Shakti record? The one with the track on side 2, What need have I for this - what need have I for that - I am dancing at the feet of my lord - all is bliss - all is bliss

5 hours ago, jkmcc said:

Thanks Huang. And that's what I'll cue up now as I shuffle around this morning.

Have you spent anytime with McLaughlin's Shakti record? The one with the track on side 2, What need have I for this - what need have I for that - I am dancing at the feet of my lord - all is bliss - all is bliss

I will have to check our Shakti... thats's the beauty of streaming, thanks for the tip

Speaking of demos Peter, my friend in Boston got a Grace Jones album from his daughter for Christmas.  I hadn’t thought of her in years, but it conjured up a fond memory. 

When I first heard of Vandersteen speakers (in a Corona Del Mar restaurant, that my not-yet-then wife had our first glass of wine together, a Chalk Hill Chardonnay), I went out to Havens & Hardesty in Huntington Beach.  It was the only dealer anywhere around me that had them.  This was around 1985.  Dick Hardesty led me into one of the rooms, pointed at his pair of 2Cs (maybe they were 2Ce’s?) and said “those are the Vandersteens.”  I brought a couple of my own records.  After a while, Dick came back in and put on Don’t Cry - It’s Only the Rhythm by Ms Jones.   Her music is not my favorite genre, but when I heard how “right there in the room” that synthesizer (I think), fed through some kind of reverb, fuzz device) sounded, it was like a VANDERSTEEN ad I once read, “once you hear ‘em, you start figuring out how to buy them.”

It was, I dare say, a watershed moment.