Minimalism....

some changes....

The “nook “ exactly 17.5 “ wide is a blessing and bane of my existence, and it is my fault. it was there when we bought place, i should of had it widen out and framed right so i could hang HRS platforms off rails / studs.....oh well, the impatience of youth....

Heat is fine. The Naim Atom streamer / preamp is well heatsinked and sounds better warm. It is also a 40 wpc mulekicker of am amp, pairs well w Treo. The Herron phono pre does not generate much heat ( it is on stillpoint ultra ). The faceplate is cut down to fit and match veneer on the Treo, a fun project.

BD197B4F-CFA5-4E94-8C98-4C0C08FB906F.jpeg

Finally, there is a cool live edge company in Oceanside and they were very helpful in providing and finishing an amp stand for my “ memorial “ Roger Modjeski RM-9 amp.... I had it rebuilt by Tech at Brooks Berdan. I know tgere are many from SoCal here, they will understand....

4DA9F5BF-B747-4AB8-AB31-1AA3FD81ACE7.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim, I've got a friend (Dan) who is a Herron dealer and real big on their line.  He has been trying to talk me into the phono stage for some time.  As I have a good phono stage in my AR SP17, I have not felt that move necessary  ..........  yet.  At T.H.E. Show a few years ago, Dan was helping out in the Herron room and I got to meet and spend some time with Keith.  

I assume your impressions of the Herron Phono Stage are positive.  What, if anything, did it replace?  Which version do you have?  It is my understanding that all previous models cannot be upgraded to the current one, it's that different.

Hi Steve - Yes, very positive experience w Herron, it is the latest 2A . I also had heard it at several shows and a buddy in Seattle has one version back. It does not reward tube rolling, which can save you big $ and aggravation....Keith who is a joy to work with seems to get a lot out of the stock tubes. Keith also very accommodating to work with crafts person who made front panel.

i had Musical Surroundings Nova II before, a very very competent phono pre. I find the Herron to be more dynamic, open with better bloom and air, as it should for about 3x the €£¥$....

I sent RV a photo of the internals and he thought parts selection was excellent.

i think you should see if you can arrange a demo in your system. I like ARC phono stages, especially the R gear, i would have to remodel the nook......ha...

That's great to hear Jim.  My impression of Keith was also positive; seems like RV, passionate about what he is doing.  

Oh yeah, Dan has offered numerous times to bring over his Herron  ............  guess I'm afraid I'd like it too much  :)   Someday, I may move up the ARC line; maybe a used LS27.  Then, I would need a phono pre.  But, I'm pretty content with the components in my system now.  Only serious upgrade considerations are cabling.  Speaker first, then maybe a few power cords; all Audioquest.

Thanks for the reply!

Play on

• Like 1

Jim, we need to talk.  LOL.   I just ordered the WT SILVER...  Even the Robin Hood Silver may be in your future ;).  I know most are using the copper, but even Garth said that the silver is best if you can go there.  I have a friend who got the WT silver and said that it was very special.  He owns a lot of esoteric cables.  Not saying his ears are good or anything like that, but I've heard them twice and was blown away at how much detail they naturally showed.  AQ is one of the few companies who have. been able to keep their silver with much larger grain size and that's the key.  

SOrry, had to at least try and throw this curve ball for you.  What are you running on your 7's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pete i am running AQ Wild Blue yonder to the M7 Amps and equivalent silver AQ 1 m speaker wire that Richard builds and ships with M7, i think he may now be using the LF configuration Garth invented, not sure....The M7 amp is 128 v DBS .... nobody else has that. I think M5 same ?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Bill said:

What kind of wood is that for the veneer?

Hi Bill - Ambrosia Maple…streaks are caused by Beetle… Vandersteen does custom veneer at what i believe is a very reasonable upcharge.

I had a faceplate made to match for the Herron phono pre so it would fit in the nook…

9 hours ago, TomicTime said:

Hi Bill - Ambrosia Maple…streaks are caused by Beetle… Vandersteen does custom veneer at what i believe is a very reasonable upcharge.

I had a faceplate made to match for the Herron phono pre so it would fit in the nook…

It's very distinctive and very cool.