If Percussion Gives You Those Goosebumps

Steve Edwards

then you're going to love this record.  Paul Simon's affection for world music finds him reflecting on Brazilian influences in his 1990 release.  A cornucopia of musical instruments, the more revealing your system, the more of them you will hear.  Just look at the credits list!

IMG_2947.jpg

Credits.png

Edited by Steve Edwards
picture edit
  • Like 1

Steve  that is great world music album came out after Graceland my favorite percussions sound Take Five by Dave Brubeck to think he wrote it as a warm up number for his drummer he probably didn't know it would be one of his biggest hitsIMG_1919.thumb.jpg.6d73f25f06eaacbc921b81baba14f374.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

oh i love that paul simon recording. about 50seconds or 54 seconds into the obvious child,  there is some thumping maybe 4 or 5 beats that's always made me feel like someone came in the house or building and shut door.   i was trying out qobuz tonight for one of my percussion favs : the kodo drummers live at the acropolis.  the song: Yatai-Bayashi is pretty impactful!  you can you tube it to see what it looks like when they play. one thing fo sure is that you'll know left / right / center ha!

i found a song from the movie batman v superman  soundtrack called "is she with you" by hans zimmer. it has a rock like theme but drum notes that are pretty kick-butt and a lot of them going on at once. it's a l little loose on my system, could be the room, the speakers but just good enough to hear that there seems to be a lot of them!  and i don't just like the song b/c in the movie, wonder woman shows up and starts to kick-ass! on a bigger bass system i bet it's pretty wild.

Yes indeed. In addition, the gentleman who I purchased my 2CE’s from said the Vandy’s were the only speakers he ever owned that could reproduce all the bass on Diga without a sub. I was amazed he knew about the album quite honestly. I was already committed, so that didn’t ‘seal the deal’, but did put a smile on my face.

Bass is by far the most expensive part to reproduce in any component from what I've been told.  I know that's teh case in speakers.  For the 2's to do what they do down low is amazing for the cost.  He also makes a coherent speakers, which again isn't easy and most aren't if you really listen over time with lot's of different types of music.  

I tend to agree wiht this.  I wasn't even into them until about 10 years ago.  None of the dealers I went to in the 90's and turn of the century  (boy does that seem strange to type) had them set up properly. They all pushed Pro Ac, Wilson's or other speakers.  Rutan turned me onto them within an hour as I went to him to get a new pair of Pro Ac's to replace my other few pair of their older speakers I was using in the house.  Crazy to think about that. I still really enjoy Pro Ac's too btw.  They do some cool stuff.  

I have always liked time and phase correct speakers.  Harder to design and build properly, but worth it.  The Theil's, when Jim was there were great speakers, but a bit too bright for my tastes.  Meadowlark were fun.  I think they were built in SD as I once met their owner when I lived in Socal.  

Vandy=most coherent in a full range in each price category for my ears.

Thiel's had one of the best drop dead gorgeous cabinetry that I had ever seen in speakers. Thank god they were out of my budget back in 1999 when I first got my 1Cs, since my wife wasn't too pleased at my purchase due to the cold black look and kept steering me towards speakers that stood out aesthetically..

I had a friend who used to have Meadowlark Kestrels and they were great for music that sounded good at average volumes. The minute you raised the volume, you could tell you were asking the wrong bird to hoot... I thought they went out of business, but it seems like they have moved out of SD and are back in business up in NY. Good for them..