Minimum front-to-back-wall distance for the 3A's?

I am moving soon, and my listening room may shrink. Specifically, the distance between the front and back walls. I'm wondering if, due to the size of the 3A's, if there is a minimum distance between the listening position and the speakers, or between the front and back walls? If so, would downsizing to something like the 2 Sig's be preferable?

Minimum distances do not exist for any Vandersteen because this distance is determined by the room acoustics.  The room requirements are about the same for the Model 2 and 3 series.  With most properly designed speakers once that magic spot in any room for any given listening position is found most speakers will work best in that exact location.  Only three of our models are designed with placement stipulations;  VCC-2 (wall mounted or their back against the wall), VSM-1 (wall mounted) and VLR (their back very near the back wall or on a book shelf).  There are different calculations for the woofers and crossovers because of these locations.

RV

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Richard,

I have a pair of VLR Wood which I intend to upgrade to VLR-CT.  I have the speakers back against the wall as prescribed.  Would acoustic wall treatments to the rear of the speakers be counter productive in my instance?

Gary

F3FF8BB9-B390-476B-923A-E70CF27E988D.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gknapp said:

I have a pair of VLR Wood which I intend to upgrade to VLR-CT.  I have the speakers back against the wall as prescribed.  Would acoustic wall treatments to the rear of the speakers be counter productive in my instance?

I am not Mr. V., but how does it sound?

In my opinion, you have them in the position they were intended for. Mine are located near the ceiling corners of my office, and the bass extension is pretty amazing. I do use Hsu Subs, but they are pretty much overkill.

Bob

run the carpet vacuum from the centerline out to the side walls…. just kidding… The rear wall reinforcement is as designed, i would be slightly more ( much ) about the TV screen reflector…try a natural fiber blanket or Owens Corning 703 in front of / over the screen. Can try similar at first side wall reflection points.  Good on you for not pointing the VLR directly at listening chair ! i am guessing RV will weigh in on Monday…

@Richard Vandersteen

Dont go crazy with 703

jim

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I am not Mr. V., but how does it sound?

In my opinion, you have them in the position they were intended for. Mine are located near the ceiling corners of my office, and the bass extension is pretty amazing. I do use Hsu Subs, but they are pretty much overkill.

Bob

12 hours ago, TomicTime said:

run the carpet vacuum from the centerline out to the side walls…. just kidding… The rear wall reinforcement is as designed, i would be slightly more ( much ) about the TV screen reflector…try a natural fiber blanket or Owens Corning 703 in front of / over the screen. Can try similar at first side wall reflection points.  Good on you for not pointing the VLR directly at listening chair ! i am guessing RV will weigh in on Monday…

@Richard Vandersteen

Dont go crazy with 703

jim