Seeking advice for electronics to match Model 5’s

I’m considering an upgrade to the Modem 5, and would need an upgrade to my electronics to match. I’m looking at a few brands, and wanted to get opinions from those who know best:

* Audio Research

* Pass Labs/First Watt

* Rogue Audio

* McIntosh (~70’s era)

I tend to prefer a slightly warmer, more romantic tone, as far as it goes, but I’m primarily looking for direct performance.

2 hours ago, Ross B. said:

I’m considering an upgrade to the Modem 5, and would need an upgrade to my electronics to match. I’m looking at a few brands, and wanted to get opinions from those who know best:

* Audio Research

* Pass Labs/First Watt

* Rogue Audio

* McIntosh (~70’s era)

I tend to prefer a slightly warmer, more romantic tone, as far as it goes, but I’m primarily looking for direct performance.

Ross B, stay with the Audio Research you have until you get the Model 5's dialed in to perfection then substitute any candidate one at a time because some of the options you are considering will not work as well as what you already have, IMO.  RV

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ross B. said:

Thank you Richard. Is your opinion, broadly at least, that ARC is the best of the brands listed?

It doesn't matter what my opinion is but Vandersteen owners using their own ears have found ARC, Ayre and our High-Pass Amps to be musically satisfying.  I am only encouraging you to find musically satisfying gear for yourself.  A neutral speaker allows owners to make them sound very different to an individual's taste.  To answer your question, Yes, it is listed on our warrantee cards very often.  RV

22 minutes ago, Ross B. said:

Thank you Richard. Is your opinion, broadly at least, that ARC is the best of the brands listed?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ross B. said:

that ARC is the best of the brands listed?

Your ARC should make a nice match, but if you do want to change, I would see if a friend/dealer could loan/rent you the amps you are interested in, before buying.

Bob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We are using M5-HPAs with our Model 5s. Currently the amps are being run with. Benchmark LA4 Preamplifier but next years project will be to find an Ayre KX-5. I love the sound of the Ayre gear with Richard’s speakers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Our L5-AAC Preamp designed to be a matching partner to the M5-HPA Amplifier is coming soon.   RV 

Oh we will be taking that into consideration as well!

excited to hear more about that unit.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 2:16 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Our L5-AAC Preamp designed to be a matching partner to the M5-HPA Amplifier is coming soon.   RV 

Does the model name have any meaning? 

Why 'L' and 'AAC'?

I can understand M5 to correspond to Monoblock5,  and HPA might mean either 'High Performance' or 'High Pass' Amp.

-Just askin' 😏

B

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Does the model name have any meaning? 

Why 'L' and 'AAC'?

I can understand M5 to correspond to Monoblock5,  and HPA might mean either 'High Performance' or 'High Pass' Amp.

-Just askin' 😏

B

Just for you GdnrBob,  L for "Line stage", 5 for "5 Series" and ACC for "Audio Control Center", LOL.  The ACC part is spelled out in small letters on the front panel when you see and hear one which will be this fall at Audio Connection.  RV

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Bob, I've been waiting on Richards preamp for awhile now.  I didn't want to buy a pre and them take the hit to sell it.  🙂

Maybe someone has one you can borrow for a while?
I have an Audible Illusions Modulus if you want to try it for a bit?

Eventually it will probably go to SoCal, but it is sitting in the dessert at the moment.

LOL... I REALLY appreciate that.  Hoping that the pre will be out in the next couple of months.  I have some travel coming up at the end of August and shold be ok.  It's not bad at all running it directly.  I know what I'm missing, but it's much better than I expected.