Vandersteen Quatro Woods

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking around this site over for several months now and I decided to finally post and show my system.  I purchased my Quatros back in 2010 from my local dealer and have thoroughly enjoyed them ever since. However, I talked with my dealer again today about moving up the the CT version of the Quatros. I’m still thinking about it, but until then this is my current version of my system. If anyone has any experience of making this same upgrade please feel free to share. I would love to hear if you thought the upgrade was worth it. Thanks for looking!

20230905_160945.jpeg

20230905_160356.jpeg

20230905_160553.jpeg

20230904_165930.jpeg

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

TomicTime: I purchased the diffusers from GIK Acoustics. I’ve always wanted some and I finally broke down and bought them a couple of months ago.

nymarty: The room is 13’ 2” wide by 27’ long. I have always wanted a par of the 5a Carbons. Those are some fantastic speakers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@Glen awesome system and room. I see a pair of Vandy subs in the back. Are those the new ones or the older generation and are you using them with the Quatro's? 

Thank you. They are the newer sub three version. I use them in conjunction with the Quatro by utilizing the first 6 bands on the 11 band equalizer on the sub three’s and the last 5 on the Quatro’s.  This has been a good combination to fill in the lower registers and still be able to place my speakers where they sound best. My floors are concrete underneath the carpet, so the additional lower bass from the subs really do a nice job.

• Like 2

Beautiful room and nice equipment. Your son doesn't know how good he has it.-But, what kid does?

Given the level of sophistication your system has, I would think upgrading to the CT version would be worthwhile. If funds are available, the Kento would be something to consider, as you get much of the current tech Vandy offers.

Bob

53 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Beautiful room and nice equipment. Your son doesn't know how good he has it.-But, what kid does?

Given the level of sophistication your system has, I would think upgrading to the CT version would be worthwhile. If funds are available, the Kento would be something to consider, as you get much of the current tech Vandy offers.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I have pretty much ruled out the Kentos due to price. I do wish they were in my price range. I am going to my dealer here in Atlanta on Friday to listen to a pair of CTs. Maybe I’ll get them. Thanks again.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 5:19 AM, Glen said:

TomicTime: I purchased the diffusers from GIK Acoustics. I’ve always wanted some and I finally broke down and bought them a couple of months ago.

Oddly enough, I received a promotional email from GIK this morning telling me that these diffusers are now on sale for the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKDad said:

Oddly enough, I received a promotional email from GIK this morning telling me that these diffusers are now on sale for the next couple of weeks.

I can vouch for the diffusers. I had them in my house on the east coast and the sonic improvement is definitely remarkable. The challenge is figuring out the optimal placement.

• Like 1

Late to the party. Great room. As for upgrading to Quatro CT, it’s not I. The same league as the Treo hence the price jump.  I upgraded from Treo to Quatro and feel Quatro is the best high end bang for the buck speaker. I chose it over anyone else’s 40k speakers that I’ve heard go against it.  If one can afford the upgrade, it’s probably worth it if you listen a lot.  Jmho 

7 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Late to the party. Great room. As for upgrading to Quatro CT, it’s not I. The same league as the Treo hence the price jump.  I upgraded from Treo to Quatro and feel Quatro is the best high end bang for the buck speaker. I chose it over anyone else’s 40k speakers that I’ve heard go against it.  If one can afford the upgrade, it’s probably worth it if you listen a lot.  Jmho 

Thank you for your reply and kind words. I just want to make sure I understood your advice. I currently have the non CT Quatros and am considering upgrading from them to the current CT version. Was your advice that it’s not worth the upgrade considering the price I would have to pay to swap up unless I listen a lot? I just wanted to clarify. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I have been known to be a poor communicator at times, lol.  I'm still an in person or phone person over texting etc.. :).  I owned the Treo originals as the CT's had JUST been released. Rutan talked me out of the CT's for the price difference and I always regretted it (Johnny often undersells folks).  When I upgraded to Quatro CT, it was a revelation for me.  The detail and everything else teh CT tweeter provided made my music experience so much better. 

Only you can say if the upgrade is worth it.  If you can afford it, just go listen at your local dealer as that will tell you what to do.  I personally hear a large difference in any of the CT lines from the ceramic tweeters (I think it was ceramic).  Hope that clears up any confusion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

I have been known to be a poor communicator at times, lol.  I'm still an in person or phone person over texting etc.. :).  I owned the Treo originals as the CT's had JUST been released. Rutan talked me out of the CT's for the price difference and I always regretted it (Johnny often undersells folks).  When I upgraded to Quatro CT, it was a revelation for me.  The detail and everything else teh CT tweeter provided made my music experience so much better. 

Only you can say if the upgrade is worth it.  If you can afford it, just go listen at your local dealer as that will tell you what to do.  I personally hear a large difference in any of the CT lines from the ceramic tweeters (I think it was ceramic).  Hope that clears up any confusion.

Thanks for the clarification and input. Greatly appreciated.

• Thanks 1

I am the guy who bought @ctsooner's Treo's. I eventually found a pair of CT Treo's at a great price and replaced them.

As an audiophile of limited means, I can understand your trepidation.

IMHO- The CT's offer a higher 'clarity' over the non-CT version. That being said, much is dependent upon the resolving power of your equipment.

Given you have some really super Mac amps, Vandy Subs and Ayre. You are more equipped than most. So, that is irrelevant.

So, if you can afford the CT's then go for it. If you can't, then I can honestly say you aren't missing out big time. The non CT's are really good speakers, and I know you will enjoy them, just as I did with my non-CT Treo's.

Like much of the Vandy lineup, things move 'upward' in subtle increments.- Like comparing a 3a sig to the Treo. The Treo just seems to perform better, but the 3a sig is no slouch.

In any case, it just allows you to upgrade as finances allow.

Once again, my 2.5 cents....

Bob

• Like 2

I finally decided to purchase a pair of Quatro CTs from my local dealer. They are supposed to be delivered this Thursday. I have marked where my current Quatros are located and I will use their placement as a guide.  So my search is over, and my adventure begins.

• Like 3