2Ce Longevity

BartJY

Hi Folks,

I love my 2Ces that were made late 1994, almost 30 years ago.  I've started to wonder how long they can last. Older speakers can have foam rot around the woofers as well as caps that can go bad in the crossovers. I had a pair of Allison Threes that needed the woofers re-foamed. What is the average lifespan of the 2Ces? And what should I be on the look out for regarding problems with them?

Thanks

Bart

Edited by BartJY
  • Like 1

Nothing to worry about as they have rubber surrounds, and all caps are film/foil types in the signal path which last over 46 years as far as I know.  Best upgrade path after Model 2's would be a used pair of Treo CT's because the inert cabinet in cabinet and carbon tweeter are a big deal.  Have your dealer put your name on a list as people trade up to Quatro CT's all the time.  RV

• Like 2

I bought mine in 1999, used from someone upgrading to the Model 3A.  A few years ago one started making a weird sound so I called and was told I can mail in the offending driver for repair. I took the speaker apart and fond the rubber surround separated from the cone. I decided to buy the adhesive and just glue it back together. 

11 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Nothing to worry about as they have rubber surrounds, and all caps are film/foil types in the signal path which last over 46 years as far as I know.  Best upgrade path after Model 2's would be a used pair of Treo CT's because the inert cabinet in cabinet and carbon tweeter are a big deal.  Have your dealer put your name on a list as people trade up to Quatro CT's all the time.  RV

Thanks for the assurance regarding the 2Ces. A used pair of Treo CTs?  Interesting. Time to head over to my local Vandersteen dealer.

Hello

My 2Cs were given to a friend a couple of summers ago. They were still going strong. I never had them in the path of direct sunlight. The dials at the back of the speakers still worked reliably. I was the original owner from 1983.

I moved up to the 2CE Sig 3s. There were enough changes. The housing for the subwoofer was most apparent with move from Vanderstands to the bases (similar to the bases for my 1Cs in a different system). I immediately noticed more details in the bass. The rest of the improvements are the drivers and crossovers. I'm convinced these help me realize the other upstream upgrade improvements.

Going from 2CEs to Sig 3s would likely be a lateral move. I couldn't go to the Treos as I would need a sub and I just don't have the place in my room to install one.

😀

My advice is buy the best Vandersteen you can afford….. Transducers have the most difficult job in the chain ( other than a cartridge )… so $ spent there will bring better sonic improvements.

I also don’t believe that for many listeners / rooms / situations, the Treo does not need a sub - my motivation was to improve midrange by implementing the high pass filter that enables the main amplifier to LOAF……

best luck on the quest and enjoy the journey…..

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 12:37 PM, TomicTime said:

I also don’t believe that for many listeners / rooms / situations, the Treo does not need a sub - my motivation was to improve midrange by implementing the high pass filter that enables the main amplifier to LOAF……

And it also reduced some distortion that gets induced (Doppler distortion I think).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...