Preamp Upgrade

I am in a I need a new preamp mode, hopefully for my pocketbook it'll pass, but I doubt it. I currently have an ARC SP11, it sounds good. I want something a little more revealing and convenient.  On the list are VTL 6.5, ARC Ref 6, Brinkmann Marconi, and if it comes out soon Vandersteen's pre. @Richard Vandersteen are you close to releasing yours. 

I have heard the VTL at home and like it. I have the ARC SP11, and figure the Ref 6 can only be better. I have never heard the Brinkmann, but love their TTs which I have the Bardo, the Nyquist gets rave reviews so, I figure he got the Marconi MK II right.

Has anyone heard the Marconi Pre? Thoughts?

Edited by Huang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Huang said:

I am in a I need a new preamp mode, hopefully for my pocketbook it'll pass, but I doubt it. I currently have an ARC SP11, it sounds good. I want something a little more revealing and convenient.  On the list are VTL 6.5, ARC Ref 6, Brinkmann Marconi, and if it comes out soon Vandersteen's pre. @Richard Vandersteen are you close to releasing yours. 

I have heard the VTL at home and like it. I have the ARC SP11, and figure the Ref 6 can only be better. I have never heard the Brinkmann, but love their TTs which I have the Bardo, the Nyquist gets rave reviews so, I figure he got the Marconi MK II right. Has anyone heard the Marconi Pre. 

The L5-ACC will be shown in near finial form at Axpona this month.  RV

• Like 1

So excited that the pre is nearly ready!  That's great news.  I bet it will match his 5 amps that many of us enjoy 😉.  BTW, the Nyquist mk2 is a freaking awesome DAC.  I've been loving mine for a while now.  I'll be getting the new pre as soon as I can.  

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure to listen and audition. I’ve found that using a digital volume control make sound good at first, it’s not. It’s lacking information because of the way digital volume works. Even the Ayre DAC’s volume isn’t as good as a decent pre amp. 

the ears will tell you over time. I hear the difference daily. 

• Like 1

I will second Montdj, I really like my PrimaLuna EVO 400. It creates very realistic images in 3D space, and the soundstage just billows out in width and height, but it is somewhat upfront in perspective. The tonality is clear and solid. Comparing it to  my Audio Research LS5 mk.2, the AR has a somewhat rounder tonal balance, and pushes the soundstage deeper back behind the speakers (which I do like), but it also creates a much narrower view than the PrimaLuna. I have  a pair of NOS Mullard Mitchum tubes on order, I am hoping that I can find a combination that gives me the best of both worlds.

I believe tube rectification is an advantage as well, and I intend to experiment there as well.

And after being restricted to only XLR for a couple of decades, it really is freeing to have both single ended and balanced connections available at the input and the output.

• Like 1