New Treo CTs in my living room...still shopping for a more suitable shelving unit for the associated gear!

Tremendous depth and soundstage. Hats off to the Vandersteen team and Kazoo Audio in Portage, Michigan who helped bring these up north to me!

TREO CTs set up.jpg

• Like 6

Enjoy your new speakers. I know I enjoy mine. Just know that every 'improvement' will make your speakers sound even better.

A lot of my gear rests on Ikea shelving, but I added Townshend platforms and bases to some components, all helped with the sound quality. If your budget allows, Harmonic Resolutions has some very nice equipment racks. I wish I could afford them, but I can't. In any case, I still enjoy my system.

Bob

IF The excellent HRS gear falls above the budget, consider adding HRS devices like Nimbus or Vortex to a sturdy cabinet. You might be very suprised.  At lower than HRS pricing consider Core Audio Designs… i’ve been very happy with everything i have from Arnold the proprietor. I often use HRS in conjunction w CORE.

Enjoy your Treo…they are fabulous….

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Audiophil6616 said:

Tremendous depth and soundstage. Hats off to the Vandersteen team and Kazoo Audio in Portage, Michigan who helped bring these up north to me!

TREO CTs set up.jpg

Looks good - have you tried pulling them out into a room a bit and see if the sound changes?

Posted (edited)

DC-93 and Oregon both mentioned adding a large rug to get rid of floor bounce, but I'm not sensing any boomy-ness or audio distortions. The set-up is in a room with a cathedral ceiling so there's lots of space around the speakers, even thought they're relatively close to the back wall (which as you can see is not constrained by corner walls). If there was more depth to the room overall I'd pull the speakers our, Holmz, but my wife prefers they stay where they are. Can't go against the Queen of the Castle.

Edited by Audiophil6616
  • Like 2

Floor bounce cancelation affects the 100-300 hz region but this is a part of life as we are usually on the ground listening and the musicians, and their instruments are also.  A throw rug can help if these cancelations are excessive but most often, we are experiencing floor/ceiling bounce which is higher in frequency and obnoxious.  RV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Audiophil6616 said:

If there was more depth to the room overall I'd pull the speakers our, Holmz, but my wife prefers they stay where they are. Can't go against the Queen of the Castle.

I know… 😄

3 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@Richard Vandersteen is it true that there are certain rugs designed with acoustic benefits in mind? An obnoxious audiophile had commented on my rug and that it didn’t have the ‘appropriate’ acoustical properties.  

I was under the impression that any thick rug works…

I was reading about coefficients of absorption for rugs and they really don’t do much unless you put a very thick pad under them and even then it minimal. 

If I’m seeing it correctly, your speaker cables are coiled up and tied like you would a rope or extension cord. This will increase inductance of the cable.   Increased inductance will roll off high frequencies at a lower frequency although the roll off may or may not be well above 20 kHz and may also increase the effective load on the amplifier. Once you get completely finished with your set up, I would suggest that  you or your dealer shorten the cables so they don’t need to be coiled.  In the meantime, simply “untie” the cables so they aren’t wound so tightly such that they act less like an inductor. Sorry in advance for the unsolicited advice!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, X5owner said:

If I’m seeing it correctly, your speaker cables are coiled up and tied like you would a rope or extension cord. This will increase inductance of the cable.   Increased inductance will roll off high frequencies at a lower frequency although the roll off may or may not be well above 20 kHz and may also increase the effective load on the amplifier. Once you get completely finished with your set up, I would suggest that  you or your dealer shorten the cables so they don’t need to be coiled.  In the meantime, simply “untie” the cables so they aren’t wound so tightly such that they act less like an inductor. Sorry in advance for the unsolicited advice!  

Good advice X5 and yes, I plan to replace those cables with shorter ones once I decide on new shelving/furniture between the speakers. Am looking at Salamander and Butcher Block Acoustics. Of course I also want to upgrade my phono cartridge!

Edited by Audiophil6616

Didn't think of that. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

If you are looking at speaker cables, I would suggest Audioquest. They offer a lot of models, which can be confusing, but they work well with our speakers. I also suggest contacting John Rutan at Audioconnection. He is a dealer, but also a really nice guy who know what works with what, and won't try to sell you something you don't want.-Quite a difference from most dealers, IMHO.

Bob

• Like 1

How long have you had your Treo's? The CT's or earlier model?

9 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Congrats on the Treo's.  Loved mine.  Great plan to figure out everything else and then get the shortest cable possibly.  Makes sense.  

How long have you had your Treo's? CT's or earlier model?

21 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

If you are looking at speaker cables, I would suggest Audioquest. They offer a lot of models, which can be confusing, but they work well with our speakers. I also suggest contacting John Rutan at Audioconnection. He is a dealer, but also a really nice guy who know what works with what, and won't try to sell you something you don't want.-Quite a difference from most dealers, IMHO.

Bob

thanks for the tip.  Cables are currently "old" audioquest so due for an update with shorter lengths.

5 hours ago, Audiophil6616 said:

How long have you had your Treo's? The CT's or earlier model?

I had the original Treo's that I sold to Gnbob.  They were really sounding GREAT when he came over to get them.  I was sad to let them go, but when Rutan and Co. set up my Quatro's, that was love at first note.