Record cleaner

I saw the “Perfect Vinyl Forever” thread, but sending record out in 100F + heat seems like it is not logistically feasible.

I have found a few including the Degritter.

I am assuming that it also extends stylus life? (In addition to better sounding records.)

Is there some Brains Trust opinions on the Degritter or other ones to consider?

I am not <good> excited about spending the money, but I could probably hoist some cleaning parties and get some free beers delivered… so it might pay for itself eventually 😉

Holmz,

I have a VPI Cyclone, so I can't speak to the performance of the Degritter; but, it has garnered positive reviews.  

And, I appreciate your concern about shipping your records in such warm weather.  I have enlisted PVF for four or five batches of records (16 at a time).  Their packaging is quite elaborate and protective, but probably not completely immune to temperature swings.  

But, once you feel comfortable, I'm confident you'll be pleased with the results Steve's Archival 3 cleaning process provides.

Free beers?   .............. I'd even bring some clean records  :) 

• Like 1

I have a Klaudio US machine as well as a Degritter. While I have found the Klaudio machine to be very good, the Degritter is, IMHO, exponentially better.  I’m generally not one for hyperbole, but the Degritter has me that impressed / excited. I’m in-process of literally re-cleaning every record I own (right now, I’m 248 records in). 

I bought my Degritter after the pump failed on my Klaudio US machine. My Klaudio US machine is on its way back to Koolance for repair and updating, and will be posted on US Audio Mart for sale upon return. The US transducers (and control board) were replaced late in 2018. For the next owner, it should be good-to-go for many, many more cleanings. 

• Like 1

I was told that the Degritter was the best ultra sonic machine by a friend who has used many of them. I sold the one I built and I felt it was better than Klaus, but it's so hard to tell at times.  Mine ran at 80hz when the others were at 60 I believe. I was worried from the get go about ruining the records, but it never did.  I finished cleaning on the Cyclone that my buddy owned and it was needed.  

1 hour ago, nrenter said:

I'm over 500 cycles into my Degritter and, wow...it's amazing. 

OK thanks😍

I can feel the lightnessand airy ness coming… from the wallet upwards.
There was fellow saying he had a NIB one on Audiogon, but no word back, so I’ll order one locally next week.

16 hours ago, Holmz said:

OK thanks😍

I can feel the lightnessand airy ness coming… from the wallet upwards.
There was fellow saying he had a NIB one on Audiogon, but no word back, so I’ll order one locally next week.

If you are a DIYer there are better solution than the commercially available models.  Here is a thread which covers some options:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-ultrasonic-vinyl-cleaner-owners-thread.817302/

And another

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/timas-diy-rcm.26013/

• Thanks 1

Ok then… how about a cleaner vinyl with a 40./80-120 kHz ultrasonic tank?
A bit less easy than 1 disk at a time, but one do a few at a crack.

The Degritter also does a couple of frequencies… so they are somewhat aligned in that aspect.

https://www.cleanervinyl.com/store/p150/ProXLUltimateKit.html

and… their ultrasonic tank is $1500+ So it is 2 parts.

Edited by Holmz

This is basically what I built for a few hundred.  I bought that size tank with an 80hz transponder set up.  I made two adn sold both.  One of them I installed the filter (from a fish tank) with 1 micron filter (forget where I got them).  I then made holders and used the motor they said to use.  I did one in plastic piping nad one in wood as that was easy for me.  I made a set up with cork stoppers (can also use rubber) to hold the records in place and 1" from each other.  I also used the cleaner that they talked about.  It was distilled water with a bit of professional grade alcohol and Ilford (photo deal that makes water slippery I believe is teh deal, but you can read all about it on that thread to make your own).  

You can find everything you need and build it for well under 500.  I also was able to make one for a friend.  I got the tank for $25 from the dentist as they didnt' need it anymore as it was older.  Friend says he's had no issue with it.  It was a 60hz one.

I heard from someone I consider reputable that one wants low and high frequency…

• Low with more energy to knock off larger chucks, (which may not even exist with a crushed record)
  • And high freq to get deeper into the groove

The multi frequency units seemed to be north of 1k$, but I probably was not on the alibaba site.
As mentioned that Degritter also does 2 freqs.
I found the filter and filter housing on Amazon, using the link @dminchesprovided.
So I guess I need to look harder for ultrasonic cleaner/tanks… that are not as much, and maybe forgo the rotisserie spit and Vanna White it manually?

2 hours ago, nrenter said:

I'm now 600 records into my Degritter. Worth every penny. I'm thinking about DIY'ing some speakers, though. I mean, it's just some parts, right?

Follow basic design principles and you will be on the right track. At least you have those as a guide. 😇
(Passive XOs are hard work for many people, I would avoid them myself.)

Edited by Holmz

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got the gear.

Picked up a couple of bottle of Kodak photoflo 
Got a large container of isopropyl alcohol.

Does anyone have a formula for the cleaner?

I am thinking of:

1. 5-10% of isopropyl in distilled water.
  2. Maybe a capful of the photoflo
  3. And a small amount of some disinfectant or dish soap (like a capful)??

Does anyone have a DIY recipe?

• Like 1