Physical distance between Quatros and M5 amps

I am zeroing in on purchasing a pair of Quatros and M5 amps. 

What is the minimum smart distance to put between the speaker and each amp?  Obviously you need to keep the grill ports clear on each side.  I think I'd like to look at the faceplates of my $16K amps, but has anyone considered facing the M5s away from you and putting them directly behind the speaker?  You could have a very short cable run if you chose to do that, but even if you sat the M5s next to the speakers surely it can be a short cable run (3 feet???).

How short of speaker cable are other M5 owners using? 

Has anyone been successful trying to order AQ cables with the DBS packs on the amp side instead of the speaker side?  Can you spec AQ DBS cables (like Robin Hood Biwire Combo) without DBS packs and just the connectors?  If so, is there any chance you get a credit for not using them? (probably fat chance, but I thought I would ask)...

23 minutes ago, JonM said:

What is the minimum smart distance to put between the speaker and each amp?  Obviously you need to keep the grill ports clear on each side.  I think I'd like to look at the faceplates of my $16K amps, but has anyone considered facing the M5s away from you and putting them directly behind the speaker?  You could have a very short cable run if you chose to do that, but even if you sat the M5s next to the speakers surely it can be a short cable run (3 feet???).

Has anyone been successful trying to order AQ cables with the DBS packs on the amp side instead of the speaker side?  Can you spec AQ DBS cables (like Robin Hood Biwire Combo) without DBS packs and just the connectors?  If so, is there any chance you get a credit for not using them? (probably fat chance, but I thought I would ask)...

JonM,  most have gone with 30-48 inches which is what comes with the M7-HPA.  This gives you some flexibility and there is no sonic reason to go shorter than that.  Putting the amps behind the Quatro CT is fine but it may put them too far into the room for good bass engagement.  If the Quatro's are too far into the room they can get lean in the lower mids and upper bass.

RV

54 minutes ago, JonM said:

When you order the AQ speaker wire, order them with the pig tails on the AMP end.  The 1/8 inch connector is compatible with the DBS jacks on the M5-HPA.  I believe the battery packs are charged out separate because there are options.

RV

RV, thanks for the quick response.  Understood on the distance to rear wall, and I certainly wouldn't want to limit any options for movement.

My current thinking is short 3 foot cables and they will let me keep the amps slightly away from the speaker and to the side, facing forward.  I do like the look of the M5 "lunchbox".  Maybe I will go to 4 feet if I have money burning a hole in my pocket, which is unlikely.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

RV, thanks for the quick response.  Understood on the distance to rear wall, and I certainly wouldn't want to limit any options for movement.

My current thinking is short 3 foot cables and they will let me keep the amps slightly away from the speaker and to the side, facing forward.  I do like the look of the M5 "lunchbox".  Maybe I will go to 4 feet if I have money burning a hole in my pocket, which is unlikely.

IF it were me, 36” and put the flaming pocket $$$$ into an exotic veneer…

Some do call me an “ enabler “…

1 hour ago, JonM said:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JonM said:

Maybe start out with 3k long zip cord and run it on them for a while?

• You can get the positioning sorted out.
  • You can make sure that the length is right.
  • You would avoid endangering/breaking the expensive cables from assembly and movement.

And then you would have a very good baseline against which to compare to expensive cables, and you get running quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomicTime said:

bunch of addicts counseling each other…..ha.

I think my Zip-Cord interim solution was more like a rehab approach ? 😇

There are some disparaging videos on the cables in YouTube… Has anyone else seen those?

These YouTube videos are just a modern version of what has going on in this hobby for 45 years that I know of.  These have always been enthusiasts that claim they participated (I'm sure they did) in "double blind" shoot outs that prove all amps that measure similar sound the same, analog and digital are the same minus ticks and pops sound the same, wire that measure the same sound the same, etc!  I guess it could make us jealous that for some a clock radio is as good as what our investments have wrought.   I do believe people differ in their ability to discern but it never meant that just because some can't hear the difference nobody can!  It has been my experience that many differences are about emotional engagement which cannot be determined when a listener is forced to be a piece of test equipment.  When in duress even the best of us needs a day and night difference to repeatedly hear it.  Just my experience! YMMV

RV

• Thanks 1

@JonM I have no doubt that the speaker and amplifier are very good… yeah I am envious.

But I was somewhat serious about the DIY cables. I do need to replace the zip cord with either some Mogami 3104 cable, or some Kimber #TC.
With such a scheme you can at least get the important equipment going and move them around. Just like I am doing with the Zip-Corded ones until my Mogami cable gets landed.

That allows you to then try  “other cables” to determine if things are better or not.

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

No, can you provide a link?

B

Just google “Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable review Audioholics”

There is also an ASR review of some of the cables.

Edited by Holmz

Without getting into a debate about if cable quality/cost makes a difference... (feels almost like talking about politics or religion!!) ... I will say:

1.  Holmz, that is a great idea to use longer, cheaper/in stock/available cable to help zero in on final placement.  After 25 years as a cinephile and home theater nut, I have amassed a nice collection of cables I can use for that purpose.

2.  When you are buying speakers and amps in this price range, you have significant negotiating power as a buyer.  So if you are going to spend money on cables, now is the time to do it.

• Thanks 1

Very ^Good points^.

The rules of the website say “No religion, no politics”… which is somewhat at odds with the fervour surrounding the debating of cables, (digital v vinyl), etc.  🤔

My old 2Cs sound so damned good that I cannot even I again how good that system is going to be. (But I do have the V-sub, and the speakers are well away from the wall.)

Not sure any of you top me in this regard lol.  That said, I also put my money where my mouth is when I’m financially able to. 

glad to see I’m not the only one lol. Ha

The biggest thing to keep in mind woth cables are to try and keep the speaker cable as short as you can. As Jim shared an inexpensive pair of Rocket 33 bi wired work Great.