Help with sound anchor stands.

I've been reading more about these stands. When I bought my 2 ce sig ii i never filled the stands and now I hear it improves the sound. Should i fill them? Also how high should the spikes be to maintain the 33" acoustic center? I don't have the manual for the stands anymore. 

I filled mine as soon as I got them. Very recommended.

In terms of required tilt, you can download the manual from the Vandersteen web site. Every situation can be different. Also is a very good guide on speaker placement in the manual, once you dial that in, provide the tilt required by placement and your ear height.

Edited by bkeske

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

@Paul S., There is another thread on speaker set up. Try looking for it.

In any case, you can find all the manuals on the Vandy website- I don't think there is one for the stands, though. You just bolt them on, and leave as is or fill with sand/lead shot/etc.

Bob

They should be filled because they will sound much better.

RV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S. said:

Thanks. I have the speaker manual. I just wanted to know if there was a reference starting point to how high the stands should be off the floor. Wasnt sure if this was mentioned in the stand manual i dont have

The manual tilt requirements assumes the anchors are installed on the speakers as they are  integral to the speaker design and performance, thus, all set-up info for the speakers  provided  assumes the stands are bolted and in place.

There is no separate manual for the stands. That said, the stands and their included dimensions are mentioned in the speaker manual.

Edited by bkeske

I guess there is no reference height then. Its ok i think im where i need to be now anyway. I just need to mark my location before I move the speakers to fill the stands. Can anyone tell me if I can fill them without removing them? I don't remember where the fill hole is. 

13 minutes ago, Paul S. said:

I guess there is no reference height then. Its ok i think im where i need to be now anyway. I just need to mark my location before I move the speakers to fill the stands. Can anyone tell me if I can fill them without removing them? I don't remember where the fill hole is. 

I guess it may be possible (on their side, laying down), but I would suggest removing them to fill.  There is a little leeway in terms of your  spike height, I believe that is mentioned in the speaker manual. In terms of spikes, IIRC, I started with the spikes fairly screwed 3/4+ Into the base as a starting point. As you adjust for tilt, the fronts and rear can be fine tuned as necessary.  Most the adjustment will be made at the rear spike.

Edited by bkeske

I would remove them.  Check that you have all spikes installed so the sand won't leak out.  Check the end caps and make sure they are secure (if not carefully remove them and seal with household silicone) being careful not to damage them because our vender is very stingy, and caps are hard to find.  Fill from the rear cap (1.5 X 3-inch cap) and reinstall with silicone.  There is a passage from the rear leg to the 2 X 4 front, but it is small, so you need to shake the stand to get the front full.

RV

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I was wondering if anyone else would fess up lol. Ha. 

I used lead shot as well, but a skeet shooting friend said that lead shot has been hard to get in the last year or two.
(I filled mine in the last millennium.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

mine were all filled in the mid 90's, lol... used sand after that.  

People always are yelling in my direction to, “get the lead out.”

It seem ubiquitous… listening to music, shovelling/yard work, on a race track, doing house chores. 
(Maybe I should switch to sand?)

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Dry sand works very well and is safe.  It is what I use because the sand damps the ringing of the steel very well.  The increased mass of lead will not be significant when one considers the weight stands on 3 points which is effectively many tons per sq inch either way. 

RV

I used solar and wind powered refined sand….ha.