Vandersteens model 2

I am looking to purchase a pair of Vandersteen model 2 speakers and am not sure as the owner is either whether they have foam surrounds or rubber.Serial numbers are13,536 and 13,537.I know these speakers switched from foam to rubber surrounds sometime around 1980. He’s tried the light view But can’t quite determine whether they are dark in color or light. Any information and these would be very valuable to me. Thank you

Hopefully Richard can chime in, and I agree Pete. 

From a little digging I did, the first use of rubber surrounds may have been during the early 2C production, which began in 1980?.  So, some of the earliest 2C’s may have still been using foam.

My guess is that the back plate probably includes the series number; A, B, C, Ci, Ce, etc. Maybe. My 2CE Sigs are labeled as such (2CE), with Richard’s signature.  But, not sure when they added the series to the 2’s plates. But if it only has a ‘2’, yes, it could very well be one of the originals. That said, my 1C’s  are only marked ‘model 1’, but there is a C following the serial number, and looking through the sock, most definitely rubber surrounds. 

As Pete stated, the serial numbers are usually not helpful.

Again, I’m sure Richard could verify or clear this up.

Edited by bkeske

https://www.vandersteen.com/what-vintage

This is a good resource…but….because of running changes driven by a desire to constantly offer improved sonics and value, many changes were not documented against a specific serial number….so don’t take this a gospel. Buy them right and be prepared to remove a sock or try the super bright flashlight trick….. and how do they sound ? buzzing on bass notes would indicate deterioration in the foam surround. Literally more than 100 model 2’s produced w parts and factory service still available….. 😉 how cool is that ?….

Happy weekend all

Jim

• Like 2

I have no idea when we changed because that is way past my memory.  We never documented any of this info because it is expensive to do and I never thought it necessary.  Even for service when the driver comes in for rebuilding it is obvious.  Shining a light is the only way and listening for any other problems when looking for used speakers is highly recommended as many of these are over 40 years old and major service can cost more than they are worth.  We do have parts to rebuild everything we have ever made in 45 years except for the sub drivers in the Model 4 series.

RV

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vandersteen owner said:

I am looking to purchase a pair of Vandersteen model 2 speakers and am not sure as the owner is either whether they have foam surrounds or rubber.Serial numbers are13,536 and 13,537.I know these speakers switched from foam to rubber surrounds sometime around 1980. He’s tried the light view But can’t quite determine whether they are dark in color or light. Any information and these would be very valuable to me. Thank you

I do not have a picture showing my serial numbers, but they sound PD-close to mine… and mine were from around ‘84 (I think).

How do they sound?

It is not uncommon to fret about them. I was playing a Joe Jackson CD and the song “Stepping Out” or maybe it is called “Into the night”, had the triangles sounding like they were coming out of only one speaker. I thought, “dammitt I have blown a tweeter!” I cannot remember if I used ear buds or concluded it was a room placement issue, but the speakers are fine.

I do not know why I would think that they magically failed after 35+ years of hard work, when listening at a modest level… But it is easy to do.
Especially when one almost never hears “the speaker” and only get the phantom image. So whenever that happens, it is like “Whoa Nellie, what’s happenin here”.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, bkeske said:

From a little digging I did, the first use of rubber surrounds may have been during the early 2C production, which began in 1980?.  So, some of the earliest 2C’s may have still been using foam.

My guess is that the back plate probably includes the series number; A, B, C, Ci, Ce, etc. Maybe. My 2CE Sigs are labeled as such (2CE), with Richard’s signature.  But, not sure when they added the series to the 2’s plates. But if it only has a ‘2’, yes, it could very well be one of the originals. That said, my 1C’s  are only marked ‘model 1’, but there is a C following the serial number, and looking through the sock, most definitely rubber surrounds. 

He should be able to shine a light into the 'sock' and let you know if they are foam or rubber. As Richard stated though, all are repairable, just depends on the initial cost/asking price with any repairs would be worth it vs purchasing another set.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:44 PM, bkeske said:

I have no idea when we started using butyl surrounds as we did not, nor do we now spend the money on Documation.  We are getting low on critical parts for the Model 2, 2A, 2B and 2C but this spans almost 40 years.  Not bad as it represented a large investment to put them on the shelf.  I think someone should go for a newer design (better sounding anyway) over starting now with a speaker that old.  The difficult parts are the mid-range and tweeter drivers because I have not found a mid and tweet compatible with the crossovers installed.  First order crossovers have always required mids with a wide bandwidth without the typical peak at the higher frequencies.  At this time the only part we are out of with no substitute is the 2 inch mid dome in the 2 and 2A.

RV

• Like 1

Guys, I have watched this thread and I've gone through this with many over the years.  My PERSONAL thoughts are to walk away if they can't promise you they are rubber and even then, I'd probable wait for a newer model.  As Richard said, the newer they are, the better they are going to sound.  Should he also be concerned with the age of the crossovers?  

If patient, you can find a newer model. I was able to get my 2CE Sigs (original) for $600. Seller met me halfway (about 150 miles) to drop-off/pick-up, so no shipping cost. 

That was an incredible deal IMO. Those deals are out there, again, if patient.

Edited by bkeske

@Vandersteen owner

Go to HifiShark and use the filters to limit the search to North America and Newest Listings.

You can also see how much they sold for from recent sales.

I have bought almost all my equipment using HifiShark. All you need is patience and a daily check-though if you sign up, they will email you the new listings every day.

Bob