Entering the 21st Century

Bruskie

3 hours ago, Paul S. said:

Curious if anyone has done any type of upgrades to their network that improved the sound. I have been dabbling in this arena. I haven't done much but I have found an improvement using a audioquest NRG on my cable modem for starters

I have heard a lot about using a Linear power supply with a router as being a big upgrade. I haven't tried it, but should.

B

For what its worth i replaced the power cord of my comcast modem with an audioquest nrg c7. I noticed an immediate improvement in clairity and a lower noise floor. My router has a wall wart supply but I cant seem to find the specs on it to play around with a LPS. 

Ethernet cables matter a great deal if you have a high res system like most do.  I use a dedicated LPS on the modem and router.  I am currently using a medical filter on the ethernet that makes a tiny difference at best.  Using a full on optical isolation device makes a substantial difference.  I just haven't done that.  Some of the top streamers are using boards that have a similar device built onto the board (I see you Ayre QX5/20).  

On 4/22/2022 at 6:23 PM, Holmz said:

Except they have skillz 😃

My father was a WWII soldier who found a violin in Germany which I have today.  I've played professionally with the finest orchestras all over the world.....cost me nothing but a lifetime of practice time.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 7:19 PM, Moose said:

...having streaming, and a remote control for volume, couldn't have been more convenient.  When I find something I like streaming, I go out and purchase it, either as a CD or an LP.   In either case, the hard copy sounds better so far.  Plus, I want to support the artists.   

I was on crutches for two months a while back and streaming was a terrific help. I listen a lot late at night and the convenience of just being able to push a couple of keys and listen to anything you want to hear is hard to match. And Tidal really helps me find new music to enjoy, and purchase in hard formats.

The Etymotics IEMs are also good.
I use it to mow the lawn, without the cord plugged into anything.

Better to just use their sound blocking plugs, and they have musician’s ear plugs that are more flat in the frequency response, and also pretty inexpensive.

Edited by Holmz

The portable community is a GREAT group.  They are just so nice to each other and no one say's that THEIRS is best etc...  The IEM market is all about flavors.  It's like going into an ice cream store and it' why most folks have multiple IEM and CIEMs (custom in the ear so no need for tips and the bass is better as the seal is best, lol).  I have a favorite company out of Atlanta called Empire Ears.  They are working on a line that would be under 500 a pair, but anything over and they are my favorite.  It's about fun and music rather than the most neutral etc...  I have their TOTL Odin's and love them.  I need a better DAP (digital audio player), but when I use the Odin's on my Brinkmann DAC, it's really really a blast.  I won't use them in the main system as I'd rather hear the Quatro's for some stupid reason, hahahaha

My old Velodyne bookshelf speakers. very precise, a bit bright. He only listens at low volumes so he needs that precision. We haven't figured out how to get the sub running yet. Old Yamaha integrated amp. Hard to find anything anymore that isn't all A/V'd out.  He needs a lot of inputs, not 7.1 outputs. I have a bypass out on my preamp and an equalizer in/out. Neither of us have any digital connectivity although he streams everything through his phone or maybe computer. I stream nothing but have a recording card in the computer. I am shopping for another CD player that will handle FLAC and an external DAC perhaps.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, Paul S. said:

Curious if anyone has done any type of upgrades to their network that improved the sound. I have been dabbling in this arena. I haven't done much but I have found an improvement using a audioquest NRG on my cable modem for starters

Prodded by your suggestion, I just connected the cable modem to the linear power supply that feeds the Intel NUC running Roon ROCK. I'm listening to it now with some familiar streaming sources and have to see I feel there's some improvement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 7:05 AM, ctsooner said:

Digital is so strange as it's so dependent on clean power etc..  Please let us know your thoughts.  

Strange it is. This morning I noticed a regular popping sound coming from our first-floor in-ceiling speakers; this appeared a few days after I switched the Spectrum cable modem from its wall wart to a linear power supply that also feeds the Intel NUC running Roon ROCK. Restored the cable modem's painfully-cheap-looking wall-wart and the popping went away. I actually had exactly the same experience when the LPS was hooked up to the EtherRegen I use.

Sound quality differences in both cases were all but indetectable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Gallup said:

Restored the cable modem's painfully-cheap-looking wall-wart and the popping went away.

That is weird, but interesting. I have a HDPlex LPS, but got too lazy to install it to my modem, as I have to figure out the proper plug size/power rating. This makes me want to try it now. 

Bob

• Like 1

Love it when we get folks doing the same tests   I hear a difference for the better with the LPS in but I also run  the Wi-Fi gear and tv through a dedicated line plugged into an extra Niagara 1000 I have.  Overkill, but I’ve been to lazy to post the Niagara for sale lol. It lowered the noice floor of the digital for sure on streaming. Modems are just very noisy by nature.