Question on coupling/decoupling

Im no expert on vibration as it relates to the quality of sound but i find the mechnics of how vibration affects components and speakers interesting . I thought this was lost in the analog era and only applied to turntables but I have seen alot of discussions on other forums regarding coupling components to maple cutting boards and putting ball bearings under subwoofers to effectively make them float or resonant freely. Has anyone tried this or maybe have a better explanation for me? I thought feeling the bass of my sub through my hardwood floor was a good thing but now im thinking that it isnt based on what i am reading. 

Edited by Paul S.
Missing word

I am a pro violinist....everything makes a difference.    with my instrument, if I use different strings, different rosin, different bridge, different shoulder rest, different temperature.....everything makes a difference.   If you put a can of chicken noodle soup under your amp, and change it to tomato juice, there will be a difference....choose the one you like.

4 hours ago, Stringreen said:

I am a pro violinist....everything makes a difference.    with my instrument, if I use different strings, different rosin, different bridge, different shoulder rest, different temperature.....everything makes a difference.   If you put a can of chicken noodle soup under your amp, and change it to tomato juice, there will be a difference....choose the one you like.

Unless things have changed since the 6th grade - Then I can assure you that if I was playing your violin… nothing would make a difference.

• Haha 3

On 4/8/2022 at 2:30 PM, GdnrBob said:

I am playing with Townshend Platforms and Bars

Bob, that really has my interest piqued.  More defined (or tighter) bass and wider soundstage are areas I would like to improve upon in my system.  Wonder if I can find a dealer who will offer an in-home trial?  Right now, I have my ARC SP17 just sitting on Mapleshade Isoblocks  .............  hmm

Edited by Steve Edwards

Guys, Brad is in this board and he reps HRS. That’s not why zoom and I swear by their gear. It’s because they back it with science and seem to have a great ear too. I have heard their gear with million dollar systems as well as much less expensive ones and in each case the difference was for the positive. I have heard most of the major and a few minor players in this space and have swapped out Townsend to HRS and back a few times. It was always hidden. Each time we all chose the HRS. That said the Townsend bases were really good too, just not better for us that day. It was eye opening as we all liked are music a bit differently 

What one puts under equipment can have a profound effect on its sound.  Some of our products use HRS solutions.  All equipment enjoys a solid constrained-layer shelf/platform, but some will want a solid connection to the stand and others will want a spring tuned to a low frequency (best example would be a turntable or CD player) some will prefer what the equipment used when the component was designed and voiced.  Any spring will work best if it is damped like the shocks on your car damp its springs.  There are scientific reasons for what will be scientifically relevant, but this does not take into account the listener's taste.  Five or so decades ago our industry took the tone controls away, wait, not so fast as they still exist but they cost money!  I believe this is partly why there are so many speakers and accessories with totally different sounds embraced by audio enthusiasts striving to make their favorite music sound good to them.  This is OK as it is part of the hobby but if one wants to get closer to the truth these different accessories should produce a predictable outcome on all recordings and be aware they won't always be good.  Measurements won't tell if a piece of equipment will sound good but to be in contention all good sounding ones should measure well in order to serve all music.  We all have the right to like what we like but it should be with our own confidence without constant external affirmation, IMO.  It is less stressful that way.  RV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mike drop!  I miss the tone controls as I love so much of the 60-90's rock and pop.  Thanks for bringing that up.  I wonder why most companies don't figure out EQ and sell another box with it or add it to the preamp.  That would be the best solution I would think. It's not like we aren't paying a lot of money for components already.  I'd gladly pay the extra (x amount) if it was reasonable.  #notanengineer

• Like 1