No, a DC native living in the VA Countryside. I do have relatives in a lot of places including NY.  My amp problem resolved itself. Sometimes I think there are gremlins in my basement music room! Richard was good enough to call me immediately after my post. He is so good to his customers. Not many like him out there! 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about getting back to you late. Was out of town. Not sure what was wrong. Have had numerous listening sessions since then and all is fine. So I guess no problem. I’m beginning to wonder if I have unstable current or something. I’m running my system off a dedicated 20 amp breaker to two separate Shunyata Everests. ARC REF 10 Preamp. I have had the ARC fail 3 times with tubes blowing. they just sent me a new one and the right channel just failed. Just brought my 22 year old BAT VK 5i out of mothballs. Doesn’t sound bad! I’m starting to thing about BAT REX in lieu of the ARC. Any opinions?

Thanks,

S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart Himelfarb said:

Sorry about getting back to you late. Was out of town. Not sure what was wrong. Have had numerous listening sessions since then and all is fine. So I guess no problem. I’m beginning to wonder if I have unstable current or something. I’m running my system off a dedicated 20 amp breaker to two separate Shunyata Everests. ARC REF 10 Preamp. I have had the ARC fail 3 times with tubes blowing. they just sent me a new one and the right channel just failed. Just brought my 22 year old BAT VK 5i out of mothballs. Doesn’t sound bad! I’m starting to thing about BAT REX in lieu of the ARC. Any opinions?

Thanks,

S

It is hard to make a cogent argument that something that doesn’t work can sound better.

I listened to an ARC powered set of Kentos in Santa Monica, and 2-1/2 of the people there said that the sound was balanced.
Afterwards they said that the ARC had an intermittent channel.
That happens sometimes.

My old ARC PH2 never missed a beat, but was a SS phono amp.

Is it possible that all those power conditioners could be causing a problem?

I have gone through a few amps… PSE and VTL.
The PrimaLuna seems to be working fine, and the old NAD 3220PE never hiccups… but I would take a working amp/preamp, over the sweetest sounding one that mostly racks up frequent flyer miles.
Of course my opinion is biased.

Edited by Holmz

4 hours ago, Stuart Himelfarb said:

Thanks,

S

Any product with tubes is going to need service every now and then.   Having owned and driven a super modified for 25 years I know it is not possible to finish every race!  Want to run mid pack your supporters disappear but you do have much less failures.   RV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Any product with tubes is going to need service every now and then. RV

A few weeks past I loaded my VTL preamp with vintage Telefunken 12AX7's, one of the little devils went funky/scratchy/AFU, replaced 'em all with vintage Amperex . All is fine, for now...

Cheers,

Cody

24 minutes ago, Oregon said:

A few weeks past I loaded my VTL preamp with vintage Telefunken 12AX7's, one of the little devils went funky/scratchy/AFU, replaced 'em all with vintage Amperex . All is fine, for now...

Cheers,

Cody

Additional "tube experience" within this post; NOS tubes can be particularly prone to reliability/maintenance issues even if matched. New-made "matched" Russian-sourced  items should also be monitored (though perhaps less assiduously than the NOS stuff).

Edited by Oregon

I'm personally holding off on purchasing a new preamp (I NEED ONE BADLY).  I'm sure that a Vandersteen preamp that's been discussed on this forum would be a GREAT buy for the cost if it's anything like their amps.  Talk about plug and play and made to play together! 

I wouldn't spend more on a pre until I audition all of them 😉. JMHO

In My opinion its more than listening to a preferred component.  I remember taking this and that piece in the A list of The Absolute Sound....which made my system sound less good.  Two excellent singers  singing  together,  because of the timber of their voices, a less than desirable outcome is presented.  I have run with my hypothesis and so all my electronics are Ayre.  The result is that the best sound is brought from the whole system.   I have heard electronics in other systems that were great, but am confident that my stuff sing and dance the same tune with no trip ups.  In truth I would have bought Richard's stuff if they had existed in them their days.....but when I listen now I smile.  On another point....RV has been so good to me in supporting this stuff.   When something went awry, I got an unsolicited personal call with great solutions.  I drive a Porsche ...not for its 0-60 growl, but because all the parts work as a unit. 

• Like 3

Great post String.  It just makes teh most sense to me. IF you like the sound, max it out.  Getting everything you can that was designed to work together just makes so much sense.  It still comes down to auditioning, but I fell in love with the larger amp on 7's the moment I heard them.  They just sounded a bit different than they did with the Ayre ref mono's and the AR mono's (their larger ones).  I've heard the 7's with D'agastino's largest mono's and they aren't even close to Richard's amp for the 7's.  Again, JMHO, but it makes sense.

Vandersteen service and support AFTER the sale is stellar as is advice and consultation w dealer ahead. So glad to hear the gremlin was banished ! Might be time to have breaker box checked, tighten and clean everything up. We live in salt fog, so it’s a near endless job on certain infrastructure bits…

I am pretty biased…. i think i am on year 6 of no faults… probably jinx myself… ha.

My Ref 5 has also been trouble free at 5626 hours… about 500 a year. I do stick to the 6550 ARC change interval…as failure is warned to be …somewhat….spectacular…..

Like Pete, i also am anticipating a Vandy preamp in good time…. having worked in high tech for more than 3 decades, some things…. should not be rushed….

Have fun, enjoy tge music.

Best

Jim

BED3B2BB-3BA7-48B0-8C2D-E0993D7C8F4F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Funny the discussion about tubes….no disagreement…it’s a bit of a dice roll…always…. I did just scavenge a few very used Telefunken 12AU and AX7 out of a 1965 Mac Preamp/ Tuner…. so far they are glorious….in my DAC….

Fun

Edited by TomicTime
  • Like 1

Yet, another great thread.

My only tube experience is with Atmasphere. Though I am probably missing out by not upgrading, I using the original Russian tubes and they haven't had an issue (-probably, a 'just you wait').

B

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oregon said:

Cheers,

Cody

Cody,

Where do I get the Amprex from?
I think I may need some tubes in the preamp. So, as they say… I need “a pair”.

36 minutes ago, TomicTime said:

you know you are really living when the dining table is covered in tubes and misc stereo gear / projects….

5F7F54B7-A79B-485B-9793-C240054B0A49.jpeg

As the surfers down at the point say… “Totally tubular dude.” 

5 hours ago, Holmz said:

Cody,

Where do I get the Amprex from?
I think I may need some tubes in the preamp. So, as they say… I need “a pair”.

First, I love the sound of tubes, I have been searching the Interwebs for years looking for matched quads of basic line-level tubes. Finally found the magic combination for my particular stereo; vintage matched Amperex 6922's for the Manley Chinook phono preamp, vintage matched Telefunken 12AT7's for the vintage VTL TL-5 preamp, finally, NS matched Mullard 12AT7's plus EL-34's for the VTL ST-80 power amp.  The stereo sounds pretty darned good these days. ;^)

Edited by Oregon
  • Like 2

I owned that table in college. When I went into the shop and knew more than the owner, we both laughed. That said I did buy it, so maybe I didn’t learn much until shopping at Bruces in SD and where I met Richard in late 82 or so