favorite recording with "space"

grue2cesig2

Trinity was recorded using what is called the Ambisonic microphone , it is an array and the details especially around Trinity are fuzzy…when i was on my mobile recording kick, often in small churches, i pined away for a vintage Ambisonic in decent shape… never did find one…

• 2 weeks later...

When thinking about ‘space’, and being able to hear the room, this box set immediately comes to my mind. I love recordings that allow you to ‘feel’ the space the music was recorded, and this does just that. Picked this up purely out of curiosity, but it turned out to be pretty darn good, and in fantastic shape.

541BDA84-2857-4658-84EB-9ACE910C4ECF.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Its an audiophile cliche but I love the space and intimacy of Miles Davis' Flamenco Sketches. There is so much great playing there but I often find myself listening to Jimmy Cobb's brushwork on the drums. Over the years, as I upgrade my system, the texture of brushes gets clearer and space between the notes expands.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 3:23 PM, BKDad said:

You're asking a tough one here!

As you probably well know, most commercially recorded music is made with a zillion microphones, one or more per performer.  This is certainly true for studio recordings, and is very often the case for live recordings.  So, usually what you're hearing is the wizardry of the engineer using processing tricks to get "space" in a recording.  After all, how much space can be captured with a bunch of microphones a few inches or a foot from an instrument?  What performer wants to be placed at the back of some recording?

OK, enough babble from me.  I've curated a few recordings that you might like for showing off space.  In no particular order...

Clark Terry Live at the Village Gate

Rhapsody in Russia: A Gershwin Celebration

The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads (check out Psycho Killer)

Live At The Bowl '68 - The Doors

Heart Still Beating [Live] - Roxy Music

Live At Tanglewood: July 21, 1970 - Chicago

The Yellow Shark - Ensemble Modern

Friday Night In San Francisco - Di Meola, McLaughlin, & DeLuca

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 - Frank Zappa

There's also the very fine recordings made by Alan Lomax.  Many are available online.  Plus a couple dozen more that I didn't feel like typing.   Each has its own special aspect to it in regard to that "you are there" feeling.

There's also a surprising number of concerts on YouTube that sound pretty good.  Go figure.

You should also investigate John Marks website:  https://thetannhausergate.com  He's got some recordings buried there that he's made himself that are glowing.  At one time, he made an organ recording available from a very old church in Rhode Island.  Nobody in the church, aside from the organist and him.  Brilliant sound quality.  I don't know if he still has that one available.

But, if you really want to hear true spatial recordings, go find some soundscape and SFX recordings of running rivers, water falls, birds, frogs, insects, and so on.  Seriously.  Those are almost exclusively recorded using a stereo microphone pair and a field recording rig.  No layered multitrack or any of that stuff.  These will show you just what is possible with modern recording.  It'll make you sigh or feel sick when you listen to most music recordings after that.

One more thing...  I'd be remiss to not include: Frank Zappa Plays The Music Of Frank Zappa: A Memorial Tribute.  The live tracks are exceptional music.   Watermelon in Easter Hay is something everybody should listen to in their lifetime.  A thousand times.  There's a half dozen other live versions of this on YouTube, and this is my favorite:

Don't know if it's my most favorite "space" recording but Jazz in the Pawn Shop is very realistic.

RV

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Don't know if it's my most favorite "space" recording but Jazz in the Pawn Shop is very realistic.

RV

That’s the one I use most often too. Bruce Kutin turned me onto it years ago. I also use a cut in Two a rooms which is a cover of various artists doing Elton John songs. One was recorded in a cathedral.  Rutan like it when he was here. 

Playing this right now, another that ‘puts me there’. Crowd nose, shuffling, pages being turned, coughing, etc. personally, I love that stuff, especially in a live recording. This was recorded at the Prades Festival. Great performances as well. 3LP box

ED35ED27-4615-4DD4-AF63-35DA0B77CB61.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkeske said:

Crowd nose, shuffling, pages being turned, coughing, etc.

Speaking of that Brian, I understand that the Tony Bennett At Carnegie Hall contains some of the same.  It has been on my wish list (along with Belafonte At Carnegie Hall) for quite some time.  I have read that both are top shelf recordings.

• Like 1