Amp question?

I emailed back n forth with the Pass guys today and they were saying the xa30.8 can go to 100w at 6ohms if pushed. Of course I wouldn't want to get near that point! I too rarely get above 90db. When you had the 40w SS amp did you ever have to go past half way to get to 70 to 80db. 

I'll have to decide! The Treos are at the top of the list! And from what I've learned about them through research is that they are about the best you can do at that price point! Thanks guys for taking the time to respond!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFG2112 said:

I've had the Pass for awhile now! Which pass was he running?

My room is 12x21 with another 8x8 at the back right of the room and I don't listen to loud anymore lol.

Not sure but it was a new model and a stereo amp not monos. Very sweet sounding. Almost opposite of Ayre. 

1 hour ago, JFG2112 said:

I'll have to decide! The Treos are at the top of the list! And from what I've learned about them through research is that they are about the best you can do at that price point! Thanks guys for taking the time to respond!

Love ours !,,, 

F8C3F250-E3F0-45B4-A74E-4FE3E7609783.jpeg

6 hours ago, JFG2112 said:

I emailed back n forth with the Pass guys today and they were saying the xa30.8 can go to 100w at 6ohms if pushed. Of course I wouldn't want to get near that point! I too rarely get above 90db. When you had the 40w SS amp did you ever have to go past half way to get to 70 to 80db. 

Assuming that they are maybe 10 feet away, then that is 3 meters.  (1/3^2) is ~-9dB and two speakers is +3 dB.
Spec sheet says 85dB sensitivity.

So 1W will have you at around 80dB… yeah the peaks are at 20W… 
I am pushing an advertised 44W or 88W into Model 2, and I would gladly trade amps if someone said they wanted my amp for their Pass.

You should still try it… and it is a bit low, but not dreadfully know, and especially so if one has the sub woofer. (IME)

Edited by Holmz

The amazing thing about the Treo CTs is that they never dip below 5.5 ohms. I take that that's the reason they say they are an easy load...because 85db sensitivity is low efficiency as I understand it. I do have dual Rels T9is, but I'm not sure how I'd get the benefit of taking some of the load off the treos? I have the connected as high level to the Pass.

@JFG2112 The music is generally considered to be 1/2 the power is below 500Hz, and the remains two quarters is under and above ~200Hz.
So scraping off the 100 Hz area (under the curve) and below… removes a lot of the voltage swing.

The Vandy sub is unique in that most other systems use DSP.
But the integration and being analogue makes it a bit different.
It is not “better by definition” that way (IMO), but it is well thought out and well integrated… and it works stunningly well.

20 minutes ago, JFG2112 said:

The amazing thing about the Treo CTs is that they never dip below 5.5 ohms. I take that that's the reason they say they are an easy load…

There is also the phase swing.

I am unsure whether the lower order crossovers have less of that, but a large phase angle wrecks havoc on many amps ability to drive the load… and  when phase is introduced becomes a complex load, rather than purely resistive. But a low impedance load that is resistive is also damned tough on most amps (with Class-D being somewhat of an exception).

I can’t even tell you how many watts my amps are and I don’t remember what the Ayre was.  I audition and if I like, I’ll go for it. 

Try not to get wrapped up in efficiencies and wattage and everything else listed. Listening is best, but this forum is great because there is someone who owns your speakers (we are a Vandy forum after all) and probably has heard most of the amps we are all looking at. 

Jim’s use of the Naim is the perfect example. I ran Treo’s with a lower wattage Ayre integrated and it sounded great (50-70 watts range I think). Enjoy 

1 hour ago, Holmz said:

@JFG2112 The music is generally considered to be 1/2 the power is below 500Hz, and the remains two quarters is under and above ~200Hz.
So scraping off the 100 Hz area (under the curve) and below… removes a lot of the voltage swing.

The Vandy sub is unique in that most other systems use DSP.
But the integration and being analogue makes it a bit different.
It is not “better by definition” that way (IMO), but it is well thought out and well integrated… and it works stunningly well.

There is also the phase swing.

I am unsure whether the lower order crossovers have less of that, but a large phase angle wrecks havoc on many amps ability to drive the load… and  when phase is introduced becomes a complex load, rather than purely resistive. But a low impedance load that is resistive is also damned tough on most amps (with Class-D being somewhat of an exception).

I respectfully disagree, it is better because the signal does not need to be converted to digital especially for those like me who still prefer our analog only chain!  Any conversion of energy is not free or without loss.  RV

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

I respectfully disagree, it is better because the signal does not need to be converted to digital especially for those like me who still prefer our analog only chain!  Any conversion of energy is not free or without loss.  RV

Well your system does sound good.
(And I think it is superbly thought out.)

So at least we probably agree on something.

• Like 1