Need advice: IsoAcoustics Gaia 2 and Vandy 2CE II

I recently bought a pair of 2 CEs. I moved on from a B&W 804 D3 setup and couldn't be happier. I want to mount the Vandys on a set of Gaias, but am not clear how to go about it. The IsoAcoustics website confirms that I can match the two with a pair of special threads, but when I looked at the base of the speakers, I found that each has only two threaded holes. Could someone on the forum help?  Thanks 

Congratulations on your new Vandersteens! I owned and enjoyed the 2ce for many years. Your speakers are designed to be used with a custom metal base which has 3 holes facing the floor - 2 in front, 1 in back. If you haven’t downloaded the manual, you can do so and learn about tilting the speakers correctly using the base. There is another post in the forum where a member was using aftermarket footers and preferred the Vandersteen recommended setup. You may find that post helpful. 

• Like 1

I'm also a previous owner of 2C's.  Welcome to the family.  As you tweak your set up and positioning, I'm sure you will like your Vandersteens even more. 

Regarding the Gaias, if Richard or Brad would chime in, I think they would say those are in conflict with what the design of the speaker wants to do: make it heavier.

Congrats adn welcome.  Yes, Vandersteen's need to have the correct tilt to sound their best.  They will still sound good if not on dedicated stands, but there is a reason for the stands.  Please open up and enjoy all the forum threads as you will learn a bit about how good your speakers can sound.  If it was me, I'd get the stands to get the best out of the system.  Again, welcome and enjoy.  

Thank you ctsooner and Steve Edwards for recommending the stands.  These stands are specifically designed to provide the right level of tilt and to add mass coupling to the speaker.  If you have them, don't forget to fill them to add weight and stop ringing.  

Below I have quoted one of Richard's recent answers concerning feet from the "Ask Richard" section on the website. https://www.vandersteen.com/support/ask-richard

Richard, I've seen a lot of discussion about coupling vs decoupling, a lot of people suggest decoupling speakers especially on wood suspended floors like I have (also carpeted with cement board). Would it be advisable to use a flexible puck or something under or instead of cones with my 5 A's in that instance? In Richards ears I trust.

(2-15-20) THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF MISINFORMATION ON FOOTERS FOR SPEAKERS.  A SPEAKERS JOB IS TO MOVE AIR SO THAT WE CAN HEAR SOUNDS.  THIS PRESSURE WAVE IS CAUSED BY POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE MOVEMENTS OF THE CONES AND DOMES MOUNTED INTO A SPEAKER ENCLOSURE.  WE CAN SEE THE LARGE MOVEMENTS A WOOFER MAKES BUT THE TWEETER IS ALSO MOVING MICRONS DOING ITS WORK.  FOR THIS TO MOVE AIR THE ENCLOSURE OF THE SPEAKER MUST BE HELD RIGIDLY IN SPACE OR SOME OF THIS WORK WILL BE LOST.  KINETIC ENERGY CAUSED MOSTLY BY THE MOVING MASS OF THE WOOFER WILL TRY TO MOVE THE SPEAKER ENCLOSURE ANTI PHASE WHICH CANCELS SOME OF THE SIGNAL.  ONE PAYS A LOT OF MONEY ON THE OTHER COMPONENTS OF THE SYSTEM JUST TO BE THROWING SOME OF IT AWAY AT THE SPEAKER.  THE RESULT IS CANCELED DYNAMICS AND TIME SMEAR.  SO WHY ARE MANY HAPPY WITH THE SOUND WHEN USING COMPLIANT FOOTERS?  MANY SPEAKERS ARE DESIGNED DELIBERATELY BRIGHT SO THEY WILL MAKE AN IMPRESSION DURING THE DEMO BUT ONCE THEY ARE INSTALLED IN THE SYSTEM THE EXCESSIVE HIGH FREQUENCIES BECOME BOTHERSOME.  PUTTING A COMPLIANT FOOTER UNDER SUCH A SPEAKER AND THROWING AWAY SOME OF THE EXCESSIVE HIGH FREQUENCY ENERGY MAY BE MORE MUSICAL AND PREFERRED BY MOST LISTENERS.  WE INSTALL 3 POINTS UNDER OUR SPEAKERS BECAUSE 3 POINTS (POINTS DRAMATICALLY INCREASE THE EFFECTIVE MASS OF THE SPEAKER) DEFINE A PLANE AND ASSURES EQUALL LOADING ON ALL OF THE FEET.  THE RESULT IS LESS TIME SMEAR, LOWER DISTORTION, INCREASED DYNAMICS AND HIGHER RESOLUTION BECAUSE THERE IS LESS FORE AND AFT MOVEMENT.

• Thanks 1

Ditto, thanks Brad.  I remember when I got my 2C's  (circa 1990).  Sand was one of the recommended substances to fill the stands with.  A local grocery store was a lot closer to me than a building supply outlet, so I went in and bought ....... I don't remember how many ........ pounds of Morton's salt.  The checker gave me a funny look; I told her it was for my speaker stands  🙂

6 minutes ago, Steve Edwards said:

Ditto, thanks Brad.  I remember when I got my 2C's  (circa 1990).  Sand was one of the recommended substances to fill the stands with.  A local grocery store was a lot closer to me than a building supply outlet, so I went in and bought ....... I don't remember how many ........ pounds of Morton's salt.  The checker gave me a funny look; I told her it was for my speaker stands  🙂

That is so funny.  We recommend sand from the beaches of Hawaii only.  That is when we can travel again safely. 🙂

please remember to measure your ear height from the floor in your listening position.  get as close as you can and then use tilt-back as a minor tweak.  my ear height is 9 to 11" higher than what the speakers were designed towards and even tilted back, my ears are much higher than the tweeter on the signature II's. i have ordered a custom pair of sound anchor stands which raise the speakers 8" + ~1" for spikes.  i spent 5+ years disappointed with them and now i can't wait to get the new stands!

Great to hear guys.  This thread thread just shows how good this forum is as we all share ideas, but Richard wants to make sure that we all get the correct info on set up, purchases and what equipment works best with the speakers.  That and having fun adn sharing music (a couple of fun threads on music).  

Pics of set ups once in place guys! :).