Recommendations for a turntable for a beginner

All,

Seems like there's certainly a divine spirit somewhere watching over the audiophile community. My son has been spending a lot of money at used records and cd stores because he feels compelled to help these businesses out. In that process, he has bought some lp's (Rap) but he doesn't have anything to play those on and just keeps opening the the sleeves and admiring the artwork. I would certainly like to seize this opportunity and enable him to play them. Any suggestions on a starter turntable? I have phono inputs on my vintage Mcintosh but am not sure whether it's MM or MC. I am completely illiterate about vinyl but certainly see myself getting into it as well now that kids are older and don't turn the house into a simulator for earthquakes and wars. 

• Like 1

About eight years I got back into vinyl purchases a Rage RP1 with MM cartridge  for under $500  did not want to spend a lot was not sure if I would stick with well eight years later I have a Clearaudio Performance DC w/ Clarify tonearm ,AMG Teatro cartridge ,Musical Surrounding Nova II,HRS record weight and Outer record weight  Oh and about two hundred select albums

Enjoy the Music

Tom

IMG_1677 2.jpg

The best inexpensive player I have heard is the Project line of tables.  they have price ranges all the way up to expensive.  They are built really well in addition to sounding great.  They all come with very good value MM cartridges.  Personally I LOVE the newer line of Grado's that don't seem to cost that much.  I think they came out with three of them.

Who is your dealer?  What do they say?  I'm personally not a Rega fan as I like a table that is a bit fuller in sound.  Rega makes great tables and I even had the Rega modified 300 arm on my Basis TT.  AJ Conte really felt strongly about their arms.  We all listen differently though.  

There's Stereo Unlimited and Alma Audio in San Diego. I have asked my son to do some research on what we should get and want to see what he comes up with. Knowing how teenagers are, he  probably won't even move a fingernail on this until the summer when long and sunny days under quarantine is going to drive him nuts...

Stratocaster, I can not recommend Stereo Unlimited enough, Bruce is a great guy, an analog guy and knows his turntables. He finally broke me down after 20 years and I jumped on the vinyl bandwagon. If you want to just wet your feet I saw several used turntables through out the shop. I bought my VPI as a used TT. Plus there is a large selection of vinyl right in the store.

I bought from Bruce from 82-86 as I was stationed there.  Yes he's a great guy.  My brother bought an NAD system from him on a visit to see me.  I still have it in the basement as he upgraded a couple of years ago.  I even have his cassette deck.  I wonder if it works, lol.  Yes, Bruce is a great guy.