Super tweeter add on

ghamilton

ghamilton, this would be very difficult to implement without test equipment.  We have tested many folded ribbons and found them filled with resonances as can be seen in Stereophile's measurements of the speakers.  Notice all the splash and increased hash above 7-8k, something I would never do.  This can be attractive at first but will be fatiguing long term, IMO.   This I believe is why they are seldom used in high-end dynamic speakers.  You however are the Boss and need to do what floats your boat!  RV  

• Like 1

Well, we all hear differently….  There are times and recordings where some good old fashioned tone controls can make some sense. RV might comment on features engineered into the new preamp.

Also a few Vandy dealers carry McIntosh, the make preamps w tone controls and a newly released 8 band EQ. i can’t comment on sonics as my tone control experience is w pretty dated gear.

Best to you

Jim

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, ghamilton said:

For us older folks that don't hear a good as we use to,  a ribbon tweeter may be best. But the Vandersteen top end is probably tuned more to reality.

ghamilton, this argument is often sited but if live music is our reference (not true for everyone) we hear it with those same ears!  This has a self-calibrating effect but if we reference what we remember in our youth several ribbons may be needed.  We would then be listening in a rodent, bug and people free environment, LOL.  RV

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

ghamilton, this argument is often sited but if live music is our reference (not true for everyone) we hear it with those same ears!  This has a self-calibrating effect but if we reference what we remember in our youth several ribbons may be needed.  We would then be listening in a rodent, bug and people free environment, LOL.  RV

You’re assuming some of us are not rodents or bugs? 🙄

Well,...who would have thought that changing the power cord on my Luxman L-507z would make such a difference? I had bought a new "FANCY" power cable that was suppose to be an improvement. After living with it for a few weeks I changed back to the cable that came with the amp. The top end on my new 2Ce Siglll Speakers is much better.

Who'd a tunk it!

• Like 1

I've had this conversation with Richard recently.  If a product is grounding properly via design, it may not be helped with a power cord. I have three more Hurricane 2m cords that I'm selling that I was using on my Vandy amps and speakers.  They sounded great, but I need the money to get the pre amp that I've been waiting on for a couple of years now, lol.   

Funny as this is a great thread and makes us all think a bit.  Can you imagine if you posted this on AG?  OMG, that would become an 'S' show, lol.  🙂