New Teres Turntable Platter

I found someone to machine a heavier platter for my Teres turntable! Milled from a solid aluminum billet and a Delrin top.

It's off to the anodizer for a deep black finish. I'll load the chambers with lead shot and experiment with Brass Black on the screws. Should be sneaking up on 40 lbs. when all said and done.

unnamed-5.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

Edited by nrenter
  • Like 2

Yep, very cool looking.  Two thoughts though.  

1.  Double check your deck suspension when you add this.  I wouldn't necessarily expect it to tilt things, but the added spring compression will make the deck stiffer in the vertical direction and might add unwanted vibrational / isolation related effects. (Unless there's no deck suspension on your table.  Then nevermind.) 

2.  Double check your table speed when you add it.  The added weight will cause higher bearing friction, which might pull the platter speed down a smidge.

Looks really nice though!

I'm using a Teres Verus motor on a non-suspended table. The bearing (and the motor) can easily support a 65+ lb. platter. Given the outer diameter is not exactly the same as the original platter, and the motor couples via gravity to the outer diameter of the platter, I'll have to tweak the speed control. I can't imagine using a ~40 lb. platter on a suspended table.

IMG_2917.jpg

• Like 1

The platter is filled and mounted! I had to use a zinc bushing as a spacer to raise my bearing by maybe 1/8”. Easy as pie. Right at 11 lbs of lead + 24 lbs of aluminum, Delrin and brass = 35 lbs of goodness. The solid acrylic platter weighed-in just over 13 lbs. According to my RPM app on my iPhone, wow and flutter dropped from a typical 0.20% to 0.10% on the 33.33 RPM setting. At the 45 RPM setting, I get wow and flutter readings between 0.06% and 0.10%. I hear 4 big changes: the attack, the decay, the sustain, and the imaging.  Big changes. Big. Quite amazing, really. This is how vinyl is supposed to sound. 

However, the decreased diameter of the platter has caused 2 issues: 1) the motor “pulley” won’t reach the edge of the platter unless elevated, and 2) at maximum adjustment, I can only get the speed down to 33.41 RPM. I'm working with Chris Brady to install new controller firmware and swap a PCB in the controller to support a larger drive wheelThis is only an issue with early-gen Verus motors. The Verus II release (after SN 50) would not have had this issue. I happen to have SN 18.

More than happy to refer the machinist to anyone who wants to partake in a similar project. 

IMG_2988.jpg

• Like 1

Correct. It's the rim-drive (aka Verus motor / controller). You can see the motor pod in the photo w/ the acrylic platter (controller is not shown). I think the Teres bearing is MUCH happier with a heavier platter. The motor spins it easily.

Rather than have Teres modify my original motor / controller, I may sell it as-is and simply purchase a new Verus II motor / controller. If your platter is ~12.24" in diameter, this is a nice way to spin it.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.11.26 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

To close the loop on this thread, my motor / controller have been updated my Chris Brady at Teres Audio - all new internal boards, upgraded heat sink, new drive wheel and updated firmware. To say I'm elated is an understatement. 

IMG_3041.jpg