Granite under Vandersteens?

Wow, that was fast!

Let me add background to my initial question to Mr. V.:

I was going to try a pair of Townshend Platforms under my Treo's

I think I am going to start a new thread on the subject of spring platforms, so I don't mess up this one.

B

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Over a year ago we added granite slabs beneath our Quatro CT's.  (If you haven't considered doing this, really give it some thought - it's  hard to beat the improvement, especially for the price.)  With the additional speaker height provided by the slabs and the Vandersteen Spike Shoes, the effective listener height dropped by a couple inches.  That required reducing the front-to-back tilt of the Quatros to get back to optimum.  More washers under the rear spike did the trick.

The hitch was that the smaller rear spikes used to prevent accidents only could engage with the threads in the Quatros about a turn or two when set for the right height.  That didn't affect the sound at all, but it didn't leave me with a safe feeling.  So, on and off I looked for some longer speaker spikes that could be used as replacements.

That was a dumb approach on my part.  I should've looked at McMaster-Carr to begin with.

Here's what I bought:

https://www.mcmaster.com/97042A224/  - stainless steel partially threaded studs (you need four of these)

https://www.mcmaster.com/91847A029/ - stainless steel jam nuts

https://www.mcmaster.com/92141A029/ - stainless steel washers

https://www.mcmaster.com/9753K35/ - vinyl caps

The assembly order is pretty obvious - only one way works.  The vinyl end caps aren't necessary, but I figured that if the speaker somehow got pushed and started to fall over, the bare stainless steel stud might tend to slide some on the hard granite, while the vinyl would provide some resistance.

Easy to install, with a willing assistant of course.  The vinyl caps don't actually touch the granite - there's probably 1/32" of an inch gap or so.  That translates to maybe 3/4" of tilt at the top of the speaker before the vinyl touches the granite.  

This isn't a sonic improvement, but it makes me feel much better.  Cheap insurance.

You guys with granite floors or steel plates beneath the carpets under your loudspeakers don't have to worry about this stuff.  Or, if you own Seven XTRMs or Kentos.  Or, anything but Quatros or Treos, now that I think about it...

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, we have a longer version of the Hilti spike available if needed.  Send yours in an envelope to us and we will exchange them.  BKDad, what you did will as you say work fine because it is for safety not sound.  We Dutch always look for affordable solutions so we have more money for parts that matter.  LOL and thanks for the heads up for others.

RV

• Like 1

Hey!  Not having the speaker crash to the floor if someone, like the household financial manager, brushes against it wrong, matters too!   🤨

Generally, I don't like to bother people with my issues.  They usually have other things to do.  Kinda like the Swedish Lapphund dog - stubborn and independent.

Hi guys, we have a longer version of the Hilti spike available if needed.  Send yours in an envelope to us and we will exchange them.  BKDad, what you did will as you say work fine because it is for safety not sound.  We Dutch always look for affordable solutions so we have more money for parts that matter.  LOL and thanks for the heads up for others.

I'm glad you did because many people have wood floors that act like a tympanic membrane which can cause the speaker to move counter to the work of the drivers!  Best solution is a good chunk of Granite as you have done.  The extra mass keeps the speaker still and able to move the air in the room more accurately.

RV

• Thanks 1

My 5A's are on their original Vandersteen spikes under which I put small brass audio point floor protectors.  My house has only 1 floor....which sits on its solid foundation....the flooring is Travertine tile.  When I tried Herbies under the speakers there was a definite reduction in fidelity....not recommended  Soundstage collapsed, speakers got tubby, etc.

Thanks for sharing BK. I’m sending mine in today. I’ve been so concerned as my new puppy loves sniffing around  the speakers. I’m always teaching him to leave them alone, but he’s a Yorkie and stubborn like Some other breeds as has been mentioned lol.

oh, I totally agree with the changes