My New Vandersteen Treo CT's

1 hour ago, Audionoobie said:

You're right. There were enough washers. I used 12 on one speaker and 10 on the other to get the laser level in the same spot. Curious outcome, it seemed to bring out more of the modrange - which is a good thing! Is that something you would've expected?

Thanks!
Joe

It should make everything snap together as if it were only one driver doing the work.  If this were not so then "Time and Phase Alignment" is bunk in spite of what Richard says!

RV

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I have the Treo CT’s , Linn turntable, Rega Apollo CD.   Rega Elex R integrated. Have had Vandys since the beginning in the 80’s. I’m a conductor, want a new amp that handles symphonic sounds at extreme dynamics. Rega was stolen. It was good but not great. It compressed loud passages at high volume. Suggestion in the 3-5 thousand range?  Belles, Ayrs ect 

@Rich NaceYou will likely get a lot of Tube and SS recommendations. (Belles, Ayr, Vandersteens)

I have been using tubes on a 2C (And a couple of SS oin the past).

Not many people use Class-D, but a purifi Eigentakt https://purifi-audio.com/eigentakt/ would be about 200w into 8 ohms, and 300w into 6 ohms.
I would not recommend any other Class-D, then those or the Hypex.
(Many of the early Class-D amps gave Class-D a bad reputation. And it that seems like they are only recently overcoming with more evolved designs.)
With a monoblock behind each speaker, at least you would not need a very long speaker cable.
Hearing a Purifi for a couple of hours, they did not have any negatives that I noticed.

A Benchmark ABH2 looks good on paper and is right at 3k$.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

I have not heard one of these in person, but if you have a dealer with  a few options, it might be worth just trying out some?
(Especially with compression concerns at high SPL.)

• Thanks 1

How much are you wanting to spend?  With any good product, it shouldn’t matter what type of music you listen to. Stay with a zero feedback design. Keep your room size in. I do as well as your volume levels. That dictates the power you really need. Tons of great choices in most price ranges. 

the new AR intergrated is going to be a winner. Mimas is a proven winner, Quicksilver and Rogue make great synergy with Steens. I owned the Ayre AX50/20 and it was amazing.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ctsooner said:

How much are you wanting to spend?  With any good product, it shouldn’t matter what type of music you listen to. Stay with a zero feedback design. Keep your room size in. I do as well as your volume levels. That dictates the power you really need. Tons of great choices in most price ranges. 

the new AR intergrated is going to be a winner. Mimas is a proven winner, Quicksilver and Rogue make great synergy with Steens. I owned the Ayre AX50/20 and it was amazing.  

I’m looking At the Ayer. How does it do with the extreme dynamics of concert piano? Piano and symphony is hard to get right. 

5 minutes ago, Rich Nace said:

Willing to spend 6,000

needs to have quality phono stage. Any word on the moon products?

Btw. Anybody ever contact Richard directly for his recommendations? If so what’s his email?  Thanks everyone for all the info. This is new territory for me 🙏

2 hours ago, Rich Nace said:

I have an older Audible Illusion Modulus (linestage). 
Something like that with a phono section sometimes comes up used.
Or a bunch of other pre amps.

(That could allow for monoblocks out at the speakers?)

• Thanks 1

Hi Rich - First kudos on conducting, you know the valuable sonic accuracy Vandersteen speakers bring. I have high respect for Bob and Victor at Advanced. Victor plays in orchestra, perhaps you know that ? Anyway i am a client there having bought gear tgere since Curtis started the store.  I am a fan of Ayre for sure but i think working with a Vandersteen dealer to hear gear together would be a priority. @Richard Vandersteendoes comment on gear matching so i copied him here. i know he prefers to let the carefully chosen Vandy dealer guide you with product they can deliver, demonstrate and importantly support…

This sounds like a more nuanced conversation around what works best w Treo. I have run mine ( granted in a Condo and not at a Warhorse symphonic peak ) with a strong 40 wpc NAIM amplifier up thru a 100 wpc Music Reference tube amp. I know the build quality of Moon made in Canada is quite good and well regarded, but i have never heard them w Vandersteen. IF i can help you anyway over the weekend give a call 253-431-6735. 

Several Vandy dealers now carry Mac with relatively high power integrateds that sound excellent, Advanced is one. 

My best to you.

Jim

• Thanks 2

Great post Jim.  About what I was going to say.  I have heard the Moon gear with Vandy in Milwaukee.  Jon Spelt carries both and really likes the combo together.  I am with Jim in that I would go to the closest Vandy dealer if you can and go audition. That way it's about what YOUR ear likes.  Remember that a dealer will carry gear that is nearly bullet proof (they can't make money with down equipment), sounds great with their other products and support the way YOU listen to your music.  

Ayre is clean, fast, dynamic and uber detailed.  It's a true high end piece of gear.  It's neither tube, nor SS in it's sound (the 5/20 series or ref/20 series).  I haven't had time with the 8 series so I can't talk about that.  The new AR integrated and the Aesthetix Mimas would be a MUST audition on my short list in that range.  Aesthetix makes some of the best value/high end gear.  Jim White also stands behind his products.  For the list of 7k, it's a KILLER and it's expandable too.  I kind of like that idea some of the time.  Simple can just be so much cleaner and often sound best without extra boxes and cables/cords.  They are just outstanding and not just for the price.  You can also upgrade them at anytime when you have the money and desire to get that last bit of oomph from your system.  I haven't hear the newest AR, but it's freaking AR and the new piece I'm sure will be a killer.  The VSi75 lists for 8500 usd.  It's not a balanced circuit though. 

I have heard the Mac gear on many speakers, including Vandy's.  It's going to have a loyal market and can sound very nice with the Steen's.  This is why auditions are so important.  No need to chase the rabbit hole when you don't have to.  

• Thanks 1

Rich and I had a great hour long chat, he and i chase salmon and Halibut in same spots over the years 🙂 Advanced carries Moon now which was news to me and as Pete pointed out so do Ultra Fidelis. All is well IF a listener can choose between Ayre, ARC, Moon and Aesthetix to run Vandersteen speakers…

Jim

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

Jim, would that be Curtis Havens, of the former Havens and Hardesty in Huntington Beach, where my venture down the high end audio rabbit hole began?

And I also went there many times back in the 80s.

• Like 1

Picked up moon 340i with moon 110 lp on loan replacing stolen rega elex r.  Been using loaned rega for 5 months with estimated arrival date March. Total different sound. First hour in CD  did not like the the fuzzy seperation of symphonic instruments and unrealistic piano at high volume levels; though the CT was sublime.will try it with Linn table tomorrow.  Have lots of time to make decisions:like to try Mimas and Ayre next?Really appreciate all the guidance from the forum. Thanks 

• Like 1

Did not know that amps need a warm time. 🙄After the 340i warmed up for a couple hours the sound stage broaden and the clarity and warmth both improved. The next day, having been left on over night the difference was even more striking. I’m enjoying the seamless nature without tweaking the highs. It’s just clean and closer to “ live” sound. Continuing to learn and trust my ears. 

• Like 3