My New Vandersteen Treo CT's

20 minutes ago, Audionoobie said:

Herbie's Gliders (brass)
https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider?variant=12645103435831

Can someone tell me what the spike shoes do? Do they act to decouple the speaker from the room in any way?

You may wish to investigate the official Vanderteen spike shoes.  Mr. Vandersteen himself has commented elsewhere in this forum on the difference between his spike shoes and the squishy ones like that Herbie's product.   He has better answers than I do.

This potentially could also explain why taking out your thin rug made such a big difference.  It might not have been any kind of acoustic absorption affecting the sound waves, but because the loudspeakers were rocking back and forth in synchrony with the sound.  Squishy footer on a squishy surface.

Personally, we have our Quatro CT's (same size cabinet, pretty much) sitting on the Vandersteen shoes.  These in turn sit on granite pieces atop the floor.   That combination made a giant difference in the sound quality. 

Edited by BKDad
po wording
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Audionoobie said:

Herbie's Gliders (brass)
https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider?variant=12645103435831

Can someone tell me what the spike shoes do? Do they act to decouple the speaker from the room in any way?

BK is DEAD on.  I too use the granite and the shoes made a nice little difference.  They are not expensive either and well worth it.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 10:48 AM, BKDad said:

You may wish to investigate the official Vanderteen spike shoes.  Mr. Vandersteen himself has commented elsewhere in this forum on the difference between his spike shoes and the squishy ones like that Herbie's product.

I replaced my Herbie's Cone / Spike Puckies with Vandersteen Spike Shoes for my Quatros and the better resolution & tighter bass was immediately noticeable; a very worthy $140 investment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

I replaced my Herbie's Cone / Spike Puckies with Vandersteen Spike Shoes for my Quatros and the better resolution & tighter bass was immediately noticeable; a very worthy $140 investment.

I’ll have John order them for me. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 4/1/2022 at 4:31 AM, Audionoobie said:

Herbie's Gliders (brass)

When you have a laminated/timber floor, these spike shoes help avoid scratching.

Probably easier to move the speakers (slide...) with these are on.

Cheers.

• Like 1

One thing to be cautious of when using the laser....   My laser is like a small light that is round.   I put a mark on the very top of the pen so that I don't use it as it rolls around its axis.  The laser itself is not perfectly square to the body on mine and might be on yours.