Jump to content

My New Vandersteen Treo CT's


Recommended Posts

Hello Forum,

I just purchased a pair of Treo CT's from AudioConnection in Verona, NJ. 

Associated equipment:

Belles Aria Integrated (using the preamp section only)
Belles Aria mono's (112 wpc)
Bluesound Node2
Mytek Liberty DAC
Technics SL1200GR TT
Audio Tecnica VM760SLC cart
Herron VPTH1 phon pre
AudioQuest Type 9 speaker cable and Yukon IC's

I know my digital front end is the weakest link in the chain. Would appreciate any feedback on how to get the most out of my system. All comments welcomed and appreciated. 

Thanks!
Joe

spacer.png

spacer.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Audionoobie said:

Steve,

I was able to upload them now. Do you see these?

Boy, do I ever!  What a great looking room and set up!  

It's hard to tell from the photos, but most of the time, Vandys sound best when arranged in an equilateral triangle.  Is the distance between the middle of each Treo equal to the distance from the center of the top to your forehead?  Toe-in is another adjustment that can be made.  Sometimes it improves the imaging and / or reaction of the bass to the side walls.  

Your acoustical treatments look effective as well as aesthetically pleasing!

Play on

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the kind words. I have the speakers setup in an equilateral triangle. They are 8'-2" apart and the same distance to my ears.  

I've got about 10 hours of playing time on them so I know they have a ways to go before being fully broken in. They are replacing a pair of 1ci's. The 1's seem to have a little more meat in the midrange, which I'm hoping will get sweeter with time. 

With respect to the room treatments. I've since removed the broadband aborbers in the corners behind the speakers and find the sound to be a little more "open" and "natural" sounding. 

-Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great system and great set up. I wish my Treo's could be upgraded to CT's., but considering my hearing is bordering on dodgy, I make the best of it.

FWIW, I would upgrade your speaker cables first. My audition of the AQ William Tell's set me on an all AQ system.

The WT's gave the little VLR's so much added bass, when I listened to them at Audioconnection with Peter (ctsooner). I would think they would do the same with the Treo's.

B

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Bob,

Thanks! I too heard the William Tell cables at Audioconnection with Joey and Tom. It took them a little while to swap them out, so there was a gap in time in the A/B comparison, but from what I remember there was a noticeable and palpable difference. Maybe at some point down the line I'll ask Johnny if a demo pair is avaialble. 

Thanks,
Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Audionoobie said:

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the kind words. I have the speakers setup in an equilateral triangle. They are 8'-2" apart and the same distance to my ears.  

I've got about 10 hours of playing time on them so I know they have a ways to go before being fully broken in. They are replacing a pair of 1ci's. The 1's seem to have a little more meat in the midrange, which I'm hoping will get sweeter with time. 

With respect to the room treatments. I've since removed the broadband aborbers in the corners behind the speakers and find the sound to be a little more "open" and "natural" sounding. 

-Joe

Joe, it is very common for people to overdue room treatments.  Few people realize they cause holes in the clues that help us define the acoustic space we are in (very important for a natural effect).  I start with none and slowly solve problems as they show up and use the least amount of treatment needed.  I notice most rooms end up with about half the treatments normally recommended.

RV

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

I notice most rooms end up with about half the treatments normally recommended.

Funny you should post this I was listening to some German Physics speakers at the home of a dealer in CT. 

I noticed there were some blank spaces along the wall and ceiling that seemed to have anchors imbedded. When I noticed, said dealer said that there were more room diffusers, but that he had gone overboard.

(The German Physic's speakers were at best disappoint. Nice, maybe good.

And there was a very weird issue of the sound not being centered- though that might have been due to other components).

B

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 On, please send email about that dealer. Thanks. Great pics and what a nice set up. Listen to Richard on room treatments. I use very few. First reflection and the back wall. We are all different.  
 

Great gear. That TT set up is a fun one. Dynamic and tuneful. I enjoy the Technic tables. Fun stuff. 
 

Not sure if you Sami get about upgrading digital or not.  Analog is by far the best way in your price range to get top sound. If you want ideas on digital, then Johnny Weil have he answers I promise. Dude puts together great systems. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I have Treo CTs also and there is a burn in period so hang on the good gets amazing. I love your room! Look around in the forum there is a thread on dialing in the tilt, if you have not found it yet... it made a big difference for me.  Every time I sit and listen I am stunned by the realism these speakers provide so grab your favorite LP, your favorite beverage and sit back and enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

would use 12 washers on the speaker setting on the most level part of the floor (right or left).  Use a laser pointer on top of this speaker and put some tape on the wall behind the listener and mark the tape at the laser spot.  Put the laser pointer on the second speaker and use however many washers needed to point to the exact mark on the tape.  Enjoy!

 

RV

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do love this set up and I'm glad you are over here.  You have a great system that has synergy.  As for digital, I'd start there over cables and cords. Those should always come last as you already know.  There are so GREAT DAC/streamers in various price ranges.  Johnny carries Auralic, which for the price, are some of my favorite digital components.  I was looking at the newest Vega.  They also have an all in one player that is outstanding, if it's in your range.  Go listen to the Auralic gear and enjoy the heck out of your vinyl.  Welcome again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

would use 12 washers on the speaker setting on the most level part of the floor (right or left).  Use a laser pointer on top of this speaker and put some tape on the wall behind the listener and mark the tape at the laser spot.  Put the laser pointer on the second speaker and use however many washers needed to point to the exact mark on the tape.  Enjoy!

 

RV

Thank you Richard! I will go to the hardware store today and get some additional washers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ctsooner said:

I do love this set up and I'm glad you are over here.  You have a great system that has synergy.  As for digital, I'd start there over cables and cords. Those should always come last as you already know.  There are so GREAT DAC/streamers in various price ranges.  Johnny carries Auralic, which for the price, are some of my favorite digital components.  I was looking at the newest Vega.  They also have an all in one player that is outstanding, if it's in your range.  Go listen to the Auralic gear and enjoy the heck out of your vinyl.  Welcome again.

Thank you CT! I'm researching all of the products in the $3 - $5k price range from Auralic, Aurender, and Lumin. I'm leaning toward the Lumin T2 though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Audionoobie said:

Thank you CT! I'm researching all of the products in the $3 - $5k price range from Auralic, Aurender, and Lumin. I'm leaning toward the Lumin T2 though. 

That's a good range.  If you are able to borrow the Lumin, take it to Rutan's and put it up against the all in one Auralic and Aurender.  They all have a different flavor, but based on what I've heard for my tastes:

Auralic

Aurender

Lumin

The T2 for my ears is way too 'clinical'.  It sounds detailed, but it really isn't if you listen closely.  It's tipped up on the hearing scales (again, to MY ears).  the Auralic will have the accuracy of the Lumin (maybe even more, but I haven't done a side by side just notes), but also a bloom in the mids and much more kick or dynamics or pace (whatever your choice).  Their volume control is also outstanding.  Not as good as a separate pre, but man they nailed so many things in their price points.  Again, JMHO....try and get the Lumin to Rutan's.  It's a really good product and worthy of being in consideration.  You may just like that type of sound best.  In the end, it's all fun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Audionoobie, you should have enough washers in the kit that came with the speakers.  You can use 2 of the thin washers as they are exactly half as thick as the thick ones.

 

RV

You're right. There were enough washers. I used 12 on one speaker and 10 on the other to get the laser level in the same spot. Curious outcome, it seemed to bring out more of the modrange - which is a good thing! Is that something you would've expected?

Thanks!
Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

That's a good range.  If you are able to borrow the Lumin, take it to Rutan's and put it up against the all in one Auralic and Aurender.  They all have a different flavor, but based on what I've heard for my tastes:

Auralic

Aurender

Lumin

The T2 for my ears is way too 'clinical'.  It sounds detailed, but it really isn't if you listen closely.  It's tipped up on the hearing scales (again, to MY ears).  the Auralic will have the accuracy of the Lumin (maybe even more, but I haven't done a side by side just notes), but also a bloom in the mids and much more kick or dynamics or pace (whatever your choice).  Their volume control is also outstanding.  Not as good as a separate pre, but man they nailed so many things in their price points.  Again, JMHO....try and get the Lumin to Rutan's.  It's a really good product and worthy of being in consideration.  You may just like that type of sound best.  In the end, it's all fun.

Thanks CT. That's an interesting comparison of the products. John did let me borrow the Auralic Altair G1 - pre Treos - when I was running the 1ci's. It was a definite step up from the Node 2. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...