Int Amp, L-505uXII v. Hegel h190 to pair with Vandy Treo CT?

4 hours ago, TomicTime said:

yes a passive radiator is the definition of slow and out of phase distortion….just my $1.50

No the 2C coupler is driven thru the integral crossover by the main amplifier.

FIR based DSPs are one solution to group delay EQ.
And sealed boxes, or infinite baffle, have less group delay.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:44 AM, paperuser742 said:

Hey,

I’m looking into getting a Vandersteen speaker. Either the Treo CT or the 2Ce Signature iii (depending on how much the wife says I can spend).

I like the Prima Luna evo 400 integrated best, but worried about kids getting into it and hurting themselves. 

I like all music but listen to a little more acoustic and orchestral stuff. My room is about 12” x 22” with ceiling at 9”and then opens to kitchen. 

Have any of you lived with any combination of the above, and have insights into the sound? Or have a different recommendation?

thanks.

What electronics do you have in house?  It could be you already own something good enough to run for a while so you won't have to make a sideways move (in the end more costly) until you can get the equipment you dream of!

RV

RV

I have powered my 2C with PSE, VTL, an old NAD that the Mrs have, and a PrimaLuna.

The speakers have never complained no matter what was driving them, so I expect that the new models will sound even more dandy.

You could literally throw and old scavenger shop integrated behind them and I suspect be pretty content till for a while…

16 hours ago, paperuser742 said:

Nothing in the system yet.  So I keep debating whether or not I should start small with the Treos and the Model 30 and get a feel for the sound in my home before trying to improve the sound.

That unit is $3000 and class "D".   Try to find something used that is linear from AYRE.  $3000 could be well on the way to your ultimate goal. 

RV

An Ayre AX-7e can be found used for around $1.5K

At 75wpc, it won't be rattling windows, but you should be able to play at moderate levels.

And, if you put the money saved towards a one or two Vandy 2wq subs, you'd really have more than enough power, as the amp is only needed for the less demanding higher frequencies.

Bob

• Like 1

This is why a good dealer is a great idea.  I ran Treo's with the AX7 and it was a great value.  Ran then incredibly well.  I found it used for 1500 and sold for 1700 when I could upgrade to teh Ayre AX5/20 as that's teh one I wanted all along.  The Treo is the more important choice of course.