A Treo Surprise

bkeske

Wasn’t actively and seriously looking to replace my 2CE Sigs, but a couple days ago I received an email from US Audio Mart with a new listing for a pair of Treo’s in Ohio……mmmm…..checked it out, and uh oh, they were taken in on trade by Don Better Audio locally, and Don was pricing them to sell just to get out of his way quite honestly. If anyone has been to Don’s residential showroom, it’s packed….with incredibly high end gear.

So, that was a surprise, to say the least. Went over this morning and snagged them off Don, along with a nice chat.

SO, surprise surprise, Treo’s in da house. Just got them hooked up, started with the correct amount of washers (I think), and now for the fun of tweaking them in.

51DF19B7-8A00-4D80-8A00-A518CA8B5180.jpeg

• Like 6

It’s all your fault Jim 😁 

it’s getting there, still dialing in the Treo’s, but minute by minute, hour by hour, (I’m sure) day by day, and it’ll get close enough to stop fiddling. But not today. 

As always, thanks for your help.

D51E3AC3-C302-4FEA-BEC9-4573012786B0.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice Room!-Anyone with a mechanical clock gets my immediate approval.

I also like the diffusor thingy in the fireplace. Looks very cool.

Are those 2wq subs behind the Treo's?

And, the little rectangular boxes with studs and labels- Do they hold CD's? I like how they look under the equipment rack.

Bob

• Like 1

Brian, I just read your post and chuckled to myself. I had the exact experience at the beginning of this year. I had made a couple of system upgrades in the months prior and my 2ce Sigs, that had been in the system for 15 years, were sounding really good. (It's amazing how the 2ce Sigs scale up as quality components are added in front of them.) But just before or after last New Years day, I took an innocent spin through Audiogon and saw a pair of 5A's listed, which was rare enough, and even rarer they were listed by a neighbor of mine who I did not know, but had waved at once or twice when out walking the dogs. My story ended as yours did. A few days later the deal was done,  (Honey, I'm home . . . !) the fiddling took place for a few weeks and now I don't know how I could be happier. Aren't we lucky to be able to live with such musical treats. Look forward to hearing how your dialing in process goes. Best, John

• Like 3

Yea John, I was the same. I really like(d) my 2 CE Sigs, and yea, looked (always looking), but didn’t feel it was necessary to move up.  But when these came available, it was like it was meant to be. Don was also happy he didn’t have to fool around with shipping them too….albeit he does it all the time. Great guy. Told me story’s of Richard holding presentations at his unusual residential showroom (in beautiful Shaker Heights) when he was a Vandy dealer. At 70, he is just getting to old to move large speakers around as he once did. 

Not sure I’ll need another upgrade now….famous last words 😁

19 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Nice Room!-Anyone with a mechanical clock gets my immediate approval.

I also like the diffusor thingy in the fireplace. Looks very cool.

Are those 2wq subs behind the Treo's?

And, the little rectangular boxes with studs and labels- Do they hold CD's? I like how they look under the equipment rack.

Bob

Yea, love my clock, even though it makes noise (gasp), but it’s comforting.  Have a nicer older one, but it decided to quit on me, so bought another newer/cheaper one. I have to get the old New Haven clock fixed. Looks similar, but much nicer overall.

No, not 2wq’s but pretty inexpensive subs I’ve had for a while. Hooked up ‘stereo’ straight out of my (ancient) Belles 400A amp on the floor. So, I have them adjusted to be a ‘musical’ as possible, and adds just a little help to the lowest end. But who knows, I’ve always been smitten with Vandy subs, so….

Yep, those boxes hold my CD’s, good guess. 

👍🏼

22 minutes ago, Holmz said:

I almost don’t want to know… But how do they compare with the 2Ces?

Still getting them dialed-in for my room, but, it’s really hard to compare outside the typical excellant Vandersteen tone and timber done right (natural). Much ‘lighter on their feet’ in terms of midrange extension. Folks like to use the term ‘airy’, and yea, that fits. Also just more refined overall than the 2’s all across the board. Responses seem fast and quick.

I love my 2CE Sigs. They, IMO, are incredible speakers for the money. But, when the deal on these popped-up, I knew this was the time, because finding these, in their condition, at the price I paid wasn’t probably going to happen again. And no shipping costs. That was big as well.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sitting here dreaming Dido, No Angel. Finally got everything to ‘snap together’. I was fighting a clear center and defined imaging with the Treo’s. Well, probably because I was trying positions way outside how I had the 2’s (which I worked on for days and months).  So, after many repositions, went back to the general positioning of the 2’s and everything came together. A nice solid center image, and everything else just followed. Now down to very small tweaks.

Its funny how forget how much our room is our room, and that ain’t going to change. And although the Treo’s and 2’s sound different, the placement within the room is incredibly similar with these two speakers. Worth the exercise regardless, because you never know.

Edited by bkeske

Brian, again, I had the same experience when I swapped the 5As in for the 2ceSigs. I moved them around between several quite different spots, but, at the end of the day, they ended up in about the same place as the 2s. And that placement was based on the instructions in the Vandersteen manual; measure the room, find the nodes, establish the best sonic and domestically acceptable position and enjoy the music. Reminds me of that great line from the beginning of the song Every Picture Tells a Story; ". . . combed my hair in a thousand ways, and it came out looking just the same . . ."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bkeske said:

Sitting here dreaming Dido, No Angel. Finally got everything to ‘snap together’. I was fighting a clear center and defined imaging with the Treo’s. Well, probably because I was trying positions way outside how I had the 2’s (which I worked on for days and months).  So, after many repositions, went back to the general positioning of the 2’s and everything came together. A nice solid center image, and everything else just followed. Now down to very small tweaks.

Its funny how forget how much our room is our room, and that ain’t going to change. And although the Treo’s and 2’s sound different, the placement within the room is incredibly similar with these two speakers. Worth the exercise regardless, because you never know.

Great observation of something I have told people for years that the placement of properly designed speakers is determined by the room not the speaker.  This is why the formula in the manuals of all (VLR excepted because it is a bookshelf design) of our speakers is the same!  Thanks for the work because it is always comforting to have someone else verify our work!

RV

• Like 3

Thanks Richard. The Treo’s are really nice. As I said, what a great surprise. Will always have a soft spot for the 2’s, though I’m sure that will diminish with time.

Just checked the level with laser, and the right needed one addition washer to make them both equal. 

Getting there.

3 minutes ago, nrenter said:

What’s the finish on those Treos? They look fantastic. 

Mahogany walnut . Just so happens they go great with my decor.

But even better, sound incredible. Sitting here listening to Szell conduct Sibelius No. 2 with the Concertgebouw, from 1965. I think I’m going to cry they sound so good. 😎

Congrats.  This is a great story.  So happy for you. If you think the 2’s scale (boy do they) the Treo’s can be right at home with a pair of M5hpa’s a top AR pre and the best source you can come up with. 

There is always a bit of the 7’s in all the speakers. Ha. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jkmcc said:

Reminds me of that great line from the beginning of the song Every Picture Tells a Story; ". . . combed my hair in a thousand ways, and it came out looking just the same . . ."

Love all the old Rod; Faces and his early solo work.  I think that band is under appreciated.  The better my system gets, the more I hear all the intricate playing; and I find the variety of instruments so engaging.  Give Mama You've Been On My Mind from Never A Dull Moment a spin  ...............

Too funny! As I'm reading this wonderful thread I'm listening to Sir Colin Davis with the BSO playing the Sibelius Five and Six on my Treos! These speakers will really spoil you when it comes to listening to classical and jazz.  If you're in Cleveland, you'll never have to go to Severance Hall again. You'll always have a great seat and you can wear your moccasins! A big congrats and ENJOY!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mwgreene said:

Too funny! As I'm reading this wonderful thread I'm listening to Sir Colin Davis with the BSO playing the Sibelius Five and Six on my Treos! These speakers will really spoil you when it comes to listening to classical and jazz.  If you're in Cleveland, you'll never have to go to Severance Hall again. You'll always have a great seat and you can wear your moccasins! A big congrats and ENJOY!

Last night I was listening to more than a couple Sir Colin Davis Vaughan Williams LP’s I have. Really wonderful. I was playing many different genres of music while setting them up, including Ray Brown *Trio’s*  Soular Energy.  But man o man, when I finally got to my orchestral LP’s, I’ve been simply blown away by the Treo’s.

it’s interesting, that as I had my 2’s so  ‘locked in’ to sounding pretty wonderful, I had convinced myself that nothing else could do what the 2’s were doing for me, (of course that’s what we want to, and should believe), so was pretty content and happy, and very leery about ‘upsetting the Apple cart’. But man was I wrong.  These babies kick butt. Apple cart kicked over.

Edited by bkeske