My (Old) Vandersteen System

Just signing in here.

I used a Vandersteen based system for many years as my main system - and I still like it enough that I couldn't bring myself to sell it an maintain it as a 3rd system at home.  It consists of: Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos (mid, high) + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A.

I always liked the 4A much better than the 4 although I don't recall offhand what the differences were the one time I got to hear the 4s  (anyone know what they changed?)

I  still enjoy Vandersteens and use some (four VSM-1s as surrounds in my video set up - I tried a centre speaker - a VCC-2 - as a centre speaker but it added nothing over the  phantom image that my main speakers in that system - Wilsons, creates ).

Still have a 2W around somewhere that needs repair but reluctant to send it over international borders back to the factory (I am in Canada).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wspohn said:

Just signing in here.

I used a Vandersteen based system for many years as my main system - and I still like it enough that I couldn't bring myself to sell it an maintain it as a 3rd system at home.  It consists of: Classe DR-7, Classe DR3 VHC bridged monos (mid, high) + PSE V monos (bass), Classe DAC1 DAC, Vandersteen 4A.

I always liked the 4A much better than the 4 although I don't recall offhand what the differences were the one time I got to hear the 4s  (anyone know what they changed?)

I  still enjoy Vandersteens and use some (four VSM-1s as surrounds in my video set up - I tried a centre speaker - a VCC-2 - as a centre speaker but it added nothing over the  phantom image that my main speakers in that system - Wilsons, creates ).

Still have a 2W around somewhere that needs repair but reluctant to send it over international borders back to the factory (I am in Canada).

No surprise the VCC-2 didn't work as they have all the drivers wired in phase!  Your Wilsons have every other driver wired out of phase especially the mids.  The center would then be out of phase in the mids with your speakers.  That should have been very wacky because the center info would be pushed to the outside of the sound stage.  Senf in your 2W amp module with a RMA form by Post.  Takes 2 weeks and very cost effective.  We service the module for $250 flat rate includes post back.  This assumes no one has tried to repair it and hacked on it.

RV

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

No surprise the VCC-2 didn't work as they have all the drivers wired in phase!  Your Wilsons have every other driver wired out of phase especially the mids.  The center would then be out of phase in the mids with your speakers.  That should have been very wacky because the center info would be pushed to the outside of the sound stage.  Senf in your 2W amp module with a RMA form by Post.  Takes 2 weeks and very cost effective.  We service the module for $250 flat rate includes post back.  This assumes no one has tried to repair it and hacked on it.

RV

Favorite thing when I called into Vandersteen with a question, the lady who answered the phone told me to call back later the technician would be in. I asked what was the technician's name so I could ask for the correct person. She said Richard Vandersteen, I was floored I didn't know what to say.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huang said:

Favorite thing when I called into Vandersteen with a question, the lady who answered the phone told me to call back later the technician would be in. I asked what was the technician's name so I could ask for the correct person. She said Richard Vandersteen, I was floored I didn't know what to say.  LOL

Maybe… “Don’t fire him for being late.” 😃

• Like 1

There are many reasons we are all owners. It’s design, it’s stability, it’s sound, but it’s as much how much Richard cares.  He also hires great folks like Brad and many others who know their stuff and aren’t game players. Solid is the word I think of when I think Steens. 

I think it is a great business model.

Knowing that Mr. V. will contact you.

Knowing Ralph Karsten at Atmasphere will pick up the phone.

Knowing Ryan Berry or Arial at Ayre will answer phone calls.

And, Alasdair at Audioquest.

I am sure there are more out there, but it sure makes a buyer feel wanted🤗.

B

• Like 1

@ctsooner

Tell me about it.

Last Friday at the gym, I had one member threaten me with physical harm because I moved a piece of equipment. He called me an A**hole, a p*ssy, trying to goad me into a fight. All the while trying to send his spittle into my face-as he was inches from my face (and probably unvaccinated).

I just laughed at him out loud- Which was something he never had happen before. Sadly, Management did nothing to correct the issue.

Not to get political,  but...

There are a lot of unhinged people who feel emboldened by the behaviour of some of who hold/held elected office.

B