Cabinet Finish Thread

I lived in Irvine/Newport Beach back I. The late 80’s and biked up and down the coast daily. Loved Laguna Area. Played a bit of basketball and volleyball there.  Would never ride more than 30 miles one way. Now I do 1.5-2 hrs a day on the recumbent elliptical (arms move my legs so drop foot still allows me to ride. Live for it. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Moose said:

Here's the Sapele finish.

6C4761B2-7940-4045-AE22-7078562C9997.jpeg

96512D98-45C8-43F4-AC57-1D24340E13D0.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Moose said:

Here's the Sapele finish.

6C4761B2-7940-4045-AE22-7078562C9997.jpeg

96512D98-45C8-43F4-AC57-1D24340E13D0.jpeg

Love how Nathan has matched the veneers. It’s the small things that folks don’t always notice.   I live working with Sepele. Stunning right grain and the colors can vary widely. That’s from a good flitch for sure. 

31 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

Love how Nathan has matched the veneers. It’s the small things that folks don’t always notice.   I live working with Sepele. Stunning right grain and the colors can vary widely. That’s from a good flitch for sure. 

Nathan does the anechoic work and helps me with R&D.  His older brother Jeff supervises the matching and finish work.

RV

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Nathan does the anechoic work and helps me with R&D.  His older brother Jeff supervises the matching and finish work.

RV

Thanks for sharing Richard.  Jeff, knows what he's doing, that's for sure.  I've never seen an issue with your finish work and that's rare.  

Too much jammed in.  That rack is going to my son.  I  have a 3-wide unit it my garage.  I broke my leg, so it's staying there until I can move it.  The turntable is an AMG Giro with the 9 Turbo arm, a Benz Micro Ruby ZH, and the AMG upgraded power supply.  Thanks.  Nice work on the wood, RV!

• Like 1

I have LOVED every piece of Nagra gear I've heard.  It's a zero feedback design and the amps run totally class A I believe.  They also use tubes that I don't often see in gear.  Talk about precision Swiss movements in watches...that's Nagra in a nut shell.  

16 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I have LOVED every piece of Nagra gear I've heard.  It's a zero feedback design and the amps run totally class A I believe.  They also use tubes that I don't often see in gear.  Talk about precision Swiss movements in watches...that's Nagra in a nut shell.  

The old Nagra VPA tube amps were Class A, but my Classic amp is Class AB.  I've read that it's biased in Class A up to 10 watts or so.  It runs pretty warm, so that's probably true.  It's a beast.  It can truly drive my Magnepan 20.7s, which my old Ayre V5xe and older Audio Research Ref 150 struggled to do.  It works well with the Quatro Wood CTs.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

The spider plant on the columnar diffuser looks great.  It really blends it into the room.

Bob

I love the attention to the plants Bob. 😃

However my thumb is a different shade of green…so which brand of diffuser/bass trap is that?

The "plant stands" were the only way my wife let me put any room treatment in here.  They are 11" ASC Isothermal Tube Traps.  If I had more flexibility, I'd have put the 13" traps in there, stacked 2 in each corner.   The spider plants seem to handle incredible amounts of neglect.  There's a Christmas Cactus in the right corner that seems equally robust.

• Like 2

The sun exposure did a number on the finish of the older rack that was in there.  That issue will affect the Quatros and current rack, but I'm not putting up curtains.  At least the drivers aren't getting direct sunlight.  Richard Vandersteen might have more to say on the effects of sun exposure.