Biggest upgrade you have made to your current system and why?

ctsooner

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DC-93 said:

Find a small portable am radio.

Tune it lower on the dial between stations.

Walk around your gear, moving the radio around and it'll show you

the spots that have interferences. 

An avalanche transceiver also does a good job. Especially the old US freq which is almost down to DC.

Not sure this is biggest improvement in my system ever, but it was certainly the easiest and cheapest:  I moved my listening chair back about two feet from one vertex of the previous equilateral triangle it formed with the Quatros. Got better imaging and maybe better bass, but definitely an improvement.

My listening room is relatively small so I don't have a lot of latitude. 

image.png.67e24635ccc03176ffe26b91fd1bcb87.png

Edited by John Gallup

On 10/16/2022 at 6:47 PM, John Gallup said:

I moved my listening chair back about two feet from one vertex of the previous equilateral triangle it formed with the Quatros

I may try that John.  While I'm quite pleased with my system right now, occasionally, I find myself wishing the bass was a little tighter (at least, on some recordings).  I'm at an equilateral triangle now & don't have much room to move the couch back, but I could bring the Quatros together a bit more.  The left speaker is real close to a side wall.  

Play on

Edited by Steve Edwards
omitted a significant element

56 minutes ago, Steve Edwards said:

I may try that John.  While I'm quite pleased with my system right now, occasionally, I find myself wishing the bass was a little tighter (at least, on some recordings).  I'm at an equilateral triangle now & don't have much room to move the couch back, but I could bring the Quatros together a bit more.  The left speaker is real close to a side wall.  

Play on

Best way to tighten the bass is to lower the "Contour" slightly.  When any system is optimized one of the clues is the desire to tighten some recording and loosen some others!  This is the way recordings are because the engineers have different tastes.  Go back to your five reference recordings and affirm the system is still in tune.  RV

• Like 3