The Maybeck Series

John Gallup

The Maybeck Studio is a large residence at 1537 Euclid Avenue in Berkeley,,,

image.thumb.png.3f575dbef806bf8194e3ba24a0adf4cf.png

...built in 1914 by renowned Arts and Crafts architect Bernard Maybeck. It has been used as a concert space for more than 100 years, and is renowned for its acoustics, thought to be enhanced by the unfinished old-growth redwood paneling in the performance room (and the rest of the house, I think), which seats about 40 people. This website from when it was last for sale has many other wonderful pictures (and shows you could have snapped it up for a mere $1.85M ten years ago).

9a72e9eb3e5d3b9e915ac96f3f36f5d0-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

Anyway, music:  Tidal lists a whole series of piano concerts that have been recorded there, and they do sound very nice to my ear. 

image.thumb.png.7cede2f99f4f7692d1d5301c9e5c6f5d.png

I'm a particular fan of Jessica Williams' jazz piano (as I may have mentioned here before) but the Kenny Baron and Fred Hirsch pieces are very nice too. If you're a woodworker it's nice just to imagine being among beautiful slices of those old trees listening to good music. I've signed up to be notified of future events and may actually go, pandemic and time permitting.

A view of the living room.

• Like 1

In WA there is a law coming in where no more Jarrah forests will be harvested.
The wood is currently selling at $3000/cubic meter.

A 100 year old shed is being pulled down, so I have been looking at 8x12” Timbers, so it is getting harder to even get the wood.

I don’t know how available the redwood is, but I would suspect that it is not as available as it was “back in the day”.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Holmz said:

I don’t know how available the redwood is, but I would suspect that it is not as available as it was “back in the day”.

It's still in lumber yards here in San Diego. Often when you see old houses coming down or being remodeled, the studs and rafters will be redwood. But the good stuff, the old-growth timber with annual rings so straight and close together they machine-made, is available in "hardwood" lumber years. I go in there just to smell it sometimes. Not sure what species these are, but they show the difference old trees make.

image.png.3838f03a9deb4ba12b9234390cbabc06.png

• Like 3

That is the problem with new construction. Current lumber is from quickly grown wood that is way too spongy and susceptible to rot.

My house is almost 100 years old, and the original lumber is as good as new, everything we replaced 20 years ago has to be redone as it has rotted away, despite being primed and painted.

B

• Like 2