My system

5 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

No, I also made a knife sharpener holder with the cut offs, lol.  I have put it off for three years and need to get the sharpening jig up and running for my Japanese kitchen knives, lol.  Can't do by hand anymore.

So, how does this board makes the knives sound?  😀

• Haha 1

yup...you can help me dial them in.  Ha!!!  I feel strongly that some of the newer integrated amps can be as good or better than a set of mono's and a preamp.  With the 3 units, there are more connections and will the pre work with the mono's?  If it's the same company, they certainly should.  To give an example, I bought the AX5/20 because it sounded better to me than separates that cost a few thousand more.  They were able to use a near passive preamp. The volume controls are similar to the KXR and you can hear the transparency you get with it.  Heck, you heard my AX4/20 with your own Treo's.  There are some other integrated amps in the 14-40k range that sound amazing and better than many separates.  They have more ways to do the isolation so you don't have the crosstalk issues of years past. 

That, plus even high end audiophiles are enjoying fewer boxes in their systems.  

17 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

That, plus even high end audiophiles are enjoying fewer boxes in their systems.  

I've often wished for a hidden room or closet behind the listening room, aka living room, where I could place all the electronics.  Who needs to see them except for control?  (A turntable is the exception. although part B of my wish is that I'd have the turntable in another room and I'd have digitized all the album contents for playback.)  I don't fancy large metal boxes, no matter how well done.  Plus, the acoustic isolation would only do good things.

Loudspeakers can look more like modern sculpture of some kind or furniture, so I'm fine with them.  More than fine.

• Like 1

I remember being in Cali just north of LA for business in the 90's. there was a store that was run out of a warehouse and they built a listening room.  It was state of the art and wasn't even a 'dead' sounding room.  They had cutout in the bottom of the front wall to run speaker cables.  they had racks of components set up on the outside wall.  They were set ups that they sold together as a system.  It was a really cool place.  I wish I could remember the name.  There was a speaker designer who used to bring his speakers in to fine tune them.