My system

Just did an upgrade from Treo CTs driven by a VTL integrated amp to Quatro Wood CTs with the M5-HPA amps and a Rogue Audio RP-9 preamp.   Sources are very tweaked Rega turntable, Rogue Ares phono preamp, and an exaSound DAC and streamer. The new speakers and amps have been in place for a month and the dealer (Stereo Unlimited in San Diego) is coming back soon to tweak the equalizers on the Quatros. The sketch shows the converted bedroom I'm able to use as a dedicated listening room, and I've done quite a bit of do-it-yourself room treatment.

system.jpg

system 2.jpg

Listening room axonometric.png

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing.  Great set up and congrats.  I dealt with Bruce back in the early/mid 80's when I was stationed there.  Met Richard there for the first time too.  Would love to visit if I ever get back to SD.  Love it there.

Quatro CT/M5HPA here too.  Will try to run direct. They are installing an analog volume control in my DAC/Server/Streamer.  I'll get a proper pre if I need one.  Hope you start posting on the other threads too.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 4:08 AM, andrewtgt said:

What kind of room treatment did you do, are those bass traps behind the amps?

Yes they are bass traps, 8" of Rockwool foam, and the brown fabric above hides 2" of the same stuff for higher-frequency absorption.  The shelves are "Billy" bookcases from Ikea so I don't feel bad about hacking them up to do this stuff. There are also similar bass traps in the opposite high corners of the room. It's all done unscientifically on the theory that you can hardly ever have enough sound absorption in a room this size.

On 11/9/2020 at 10:29 AM, ctsooner said:

I dealt with Bruce [Stereo Unlimited dealer] back in the early/mid 80's when I was stationed there.  Met Richard there for the first time too.  Would love to visit if I ever get back to SD.  Love it there.

Stereo Unlimited seems to be going strong, surviving  COVID thus far. It's a huge place, with their own theater for presentations (by Richard V, among others) and a vast collection of used and new LPs. Well worth a visit for any audiophile in San Diego.

• Like 2

Wow, I was a customer when he had the smaller shop.  That's cool that it's so large now.  I do want to get back out to SD once Covid allows us to travel.  I'm planing a Navy reunion with a bunch of my former shipmates.  I'd surely make it to see Bruce although he won't remember me.  I have sent him some business over the years though.  lol

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 1:02 PM, ctsooner said:

Wow, I was a customer when he had the smaller shop.  That's cool that it's so large now.  I do want to get back out to SD once Covid allows us to travel.  I'm planing a Navy reunion with a bunch of my former shipmates.  I'd surely make it to see Bruce although he won't remember me.  I have sent him some business over the years though.  lol

On 11/9/2020 at 4:08 AM, andrewtgt said:

Nice setup. This must sound great with such a high ceiling.

What kind of room treatment did you do, are those bass traps behind the amps?

Here're a couple of shots of the bass traps at the back wall.  As I understand it, having them in the vertical corners would be preferable, but it's not really possible given the configuration of the room.

20201130_141427.jpg

20201130_141438.jpg

Edited by John Gallup

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 2:26 PM, John Gallup said:

Here're a couple of shots of the bass traps at the back wall.  As I understand it, having them in the vertical corners would be preferable, but it's not really possible given the configuration of the room.

20201130_141427.jpg

20201130_141438.jpg

love, love the room. what wood are the floors ? we are neighbors, have a winter condo in Carlsbad, Bruce is my dealer also...fun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomicTime said:

love, love the room. what wood are the floors ? we are neighbors, have a winter condo in Carlsbad, Bruce is my dealer also...fun

The floors are from old industrial buildings, or maybe boxcars, I'm not sure. My wife (who designed the house) found them through a dealer. When the wood was delivered it looked like a pile of kindling or rubble. The installer put it down and then sanded it enough to give the highlighted effect you see in the pics. Then it was oiled. The whole second floor (except bathrooms) was done this way and it does give a nice rustic feeling.

3 hours ago, BKDad said:

You have three M5's?

I admire your ability to photograph yourself while busy at work.

No, I also made a knife sharpener holder with the cut offs, lol.  I have put it off for three years and need to get the sharpening jig up and running for my Japanese kitchen knives, lol.  Can't do by hand anymore.