Gotham's Quatro Rig

This system has been put together over the last couple of years and despite having a problematic room, I am loving this system. I have to sit more near field than I want, but the flexibility of the Quatros help it work. At some point I will upgrade to CTs but for now I still get lost in the music.

Vandersteen Quatro Cloth Version
Vandersteen M5-HP Balanced Crossovers
Audio Research LS-27 Preamp
Rouge Audio M-180 Dark Monoblocks
Parasound JC3+ Phono Stage
Technics SL-1200GR Turntable
Hana SL Phono Cart.
Esoteric UX-1 Limited Multi-Format Player
Cocktail Audio X50D Streamer
PS Audio Powerplant 5
BorderPatrol SE-i DAC
Audioquest Wind XLR from amps, phono and CDP
Audioquest Thunder Power Cables
Morrow Audio SP7 Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
Degritter Record Cleaner
GIK Diffusers
ASC Tube Traps

• Like 4

I’ve had that problem with the flipped pics once before. No idea what went wrong. Tried to fix several times. I think the forum just prefers to flip a pic now and again. Ghost in the machine. 

Edited by JonM

On 4/1/2022 at 4:35 PM, Gotham said:

At some point I will upgrade to CTs but for now I still get lost in the music.

I also have the cloth version, bought from a customer of Johnny Rutan.  My sentiments match yours; would love to have the CT version someday, but for the cabbage I have invested in mine, I don't believe any other speaker comes even close.

Play on

• Like 2

I know the CTs are supposed to be amazing but not sure if I can justify it for another couple of years. I am gonna inherit a bigger room in the next couple of years so may just wait for that.  Thanks for all of the positive feedback everyone!

• Like 1

hopefully I am not overstepping a boundry…but in looking at your lovely system, getting those awesome tube monoblocks much closer to the Quattro with correspondingly SHORTER. speaker cables will be a significant sonic improvement…..

i understand, there are always other constraints….

Best to you.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not overstepping at all. I would do that if I could.  A bit stuck now though. I do think I am probably leaving something on the table with the Morrow, but I think I am gonna throw my music funds into a new DAC first. Love the BorderPatrol but I would like a DAC that plays hi rez files. Right now, I will have Qobuz on random and once it gets to a hi rez file...its straight noise.  I am looking to buy the top of the line SMSL DAC to shoot out. We will see!

There are some great DAC's out there in the under 2k range.  I've spent a bit of time playing here for my portable/desktop rig.  I've been sent some fun ones from all over the world by folks I've met on Head-FI.org.  I've been very impressed.  All have built in headphone amps too.  I can honestly say that iFi makes some great units.  I have the $800 iFi Neo I think it's called and it's killer for what it is.  I have not head it vs the Codex head to head, but for 800 it's hard to do better.  (I wish I could have a Codex sent over to audition vs it).  I've not heard the DAC you are looking at though, so no advice there.  

In auditioning, keep in mind that some of the DAC's that don't do hi res may still sound better (I think most do hi res, but many won't do DSD, which in my system, with my DAC sounds a lot better than my 32 bit PCM on most songs).  The Ayre Codex is still a great value for a DAC/headphone amp.  They built that thing to sound as good as the 5k DACs and it's still outstanding vs the newest of DAC's under 3k or so.  I personally stay away from buying from the small digital companies.  Many make GREAT products, but once the designer is gone (ie can't make a go of their business or they leave the company that they designed from) you can't get things fixed.  I nearly got burned on one of my purchase and I know many who have bought DAC's from Asia that sound great and are cool, but the company has gone under or stopped supporting the DAC.  That's just me and I know many don't care.  It's always good to think about all sides of things before making big purchases. 

Chord also makes great stuff in this price range, but I personally like Ayre better.  MANY like Chord better.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, ctsooner said:

There are some great DAC's out there in the under 2k range.  I've spent a bit of time playing here for my portable/desktop rig.  I've been sent some fun ones from all over the world by folks I've met on Head-FI.org.  I've been very impressed.  All have built in headphone amps too.  I can honestly say that iFi makes some great units.  I have the $800 iFi Neo I think it's called and it's killer for what it is.  I have not head it vs the Codex head to head, but for 800 it's hard to do better.  (I wish I could have a Codex sent over to audition vs it).  I've not heard the DAC you are looking at though, so no advice there.  

In auditioning, keep in mind that some of the DAC's that don't do hi res may still sound better (I think most do hi res, but many won't do DSD, which in my system, with my DAC sounds a lot better than my 32 bit PCM on most songs).  The Ayre Codex is still a great value for a DAC/headphone amp.  They built that thing to sound as good as the 5k DACs and it's still outstanding vs the newest of DAC's under 3k or so.  I personally stay away from buying from the small digital companies.  Many make GREAT products, but once the designer is gone (ie can't make a go of their business or they leave the company that they designed from) you can't get things fixed.  I nearly got burned on one of my purchase and I know many who have bought DAC's from Asia that sound great and are cool, but the company has gone under or stopped supporting the DAC.  That's just me and I know many don't care.  It's always good to think about all sides of things before making big purchases. 

Chord also makes great stuff in this price range, but I personally like Ayre better.  MANY like Chord better.  

I will probably scoop up a Codex when one pops up to try it out. I killed my budget by picking up some Audioquest Fire ICs a friend was blowing out to make room for their new line. (The Fires sound great)

• Like 1

I'm using the Fires and may not move to the new line.  I need a preamp MUCH more than a new cable, lol...ha...

Codex is a good option, but to me, it's a bit long in the tooth.  I'd audition a bunch to see what you like.  iFi makes some outstanding DAC's under 1500 (and a couple over) and are often on the used market as they are so big. Figure out your budget and look for newer ones as there have been some big advancements in digital.  That's meant that some of the tech has trickled down to the lower priced unit.

Well, a used Codex is under $1k (like $800), so even though it is long in the tooth, it is still a pretty good value. 
A Schiit Gungnir came close, and I expect the Yggy would be about the same as the Codex.

@ctsooner, are the Fire interconnects above the WEL's?

Bob

14 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Well, a used Codex is under $1k (like $800), so even though it is long in the tooth, it is still a pretty good value. 
A Schiit Gungnir came close, and I expect the Yggy would be about the same as the Codex.

@ctsooner, are the Fire interconnects above the WEL's?

Bob

at 800, it's on the short list for sure.  No question.  My WEL's (Horizon which is identical due to a name change after first year) are too short to do a comp.)