Power cords, speaker cables or power conditioner?

John Gallup

6 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

GdnrBob, that brings up another interesting element.  I have both my PSE mono's plugged into the Equi=Tech.  One of my fellow audio nuts suggested I try them direct to wall.  But, it's been my thinking that I'd be eliminating the protection from a surge.  Guess it's a question of priority; protection or possibly a sonic improvement?

I have reservations about plugging high voltage/demanding equipment into conditioners/surge protectors, as I think they would possibly limit/clip/smear transient power demands. 

I put a whole house surge protector at my mains box in order to get peace of mind. Now, whether that it, too, might be a limiting source-I don't know. But, I figure it to be the best way to keep all my equipment safe from power transients.

B

Edited by GdnrBob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I have reservations about plugging high voltage/demanding equipment into conditioners/surge protectors, as I think they would possibly limit/clip/smear transient power demands. 

So if you have Quatros and M5-HPAs, which do you plug directly into the wall and which into the (let's say) Audioquest Niagara 3000?

11 hours ago, John Gallup said:

So if you have Quatros and M5-HPAs, which do you plug directly into the wall and which into the (let's say) Audioquest Niagara 3000?

That’s my set up John. I do into the wall with Quatro’s and into the. 3000 with the m5’s. I can easily move the 5’s to their own dedicated circuit or into the main dedicated one as I can use the same length cord.  I will also try the Hurricane on main amps vs stock cord. Wasn’t a huge difference in the beginning but now things are settling in.  No time for a bit to do that properly though. 

On 11/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, Holmz said:

That Equi=Tech actually looks like something that has “goodness”… their spec even says -30db >  100 kHz.

Where did you get it from? (I didn’t see dealers)

I bought the 2Q (actually 2RQ) from AudioWaves, who still is an approved dealer.  My 3RQs were purchased used from Audiogon.  My friend purchased a 3RQ about a year ago, and he might have bought it directly from Equi=Tech.  I'll have to find out.  He had some custom modifications done by the factory.   They all are heavy as heck.  If you find a used one, make sure they have the original packaging.  It has serious "goodness".  They are a big chunk of change for something that just sits there doing "nothing".  Consider it another component.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, ctsooner said:

I do into the wall with Quatro’s and into the 3000 with the m5’s.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:21 PM, GdnrBob said:

I like @ctsooner, would plug the amps directly into the wall. The other equipment would into the Niagara 3000.

Hmmm...you guys are saying opposite things. Wondering if @Richard Vandersteen has an opinion on this matter.

first listen….then decide… My Furman seems to damp dynamics on my amp but does clean up the digital side of the system…. At the condo i do use an Isotech for everything but the power amp…

I think RV will say he takes great pains in building components that have extensive and robust power supplies that are not improved with further conditioning…there may be exceptions…. A recent conversation we had about products heavily reliant on toroidal transformers comes to mind…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Gallup said:

Hmmm...you guys are saying opposite things. Wondering if @Richard Vandersteen has an opinion on this matter.

With power amplifiers one should never assume going into a power conditioner will be better.  It should be tried both ways and left in the most dynamic situation even the AQ units should prove themselves.  Pre-amps and DAC's are almost always better going in any AQ unit.  Over the years I found power conditioners to soften the sound and lessen dynamics but the AQ units are an exception in most situations.  

RV

• Like 2

Thanks Richard. This is why I’m going to now try amps in wall and possibly Quatro’s too. I have the outlets set up with the isolated circuits so I can keep the same cords and try it. I did this quickly months ago and likes the amps better into the wall, but wanted to try this way first. I finally have my whole system up and running the way I want , so it’s time to dial in now. Hence changing things a bit to see what’s best. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if that's the case, but the speakers have sounded better when plugged into the wall directly.  I still have ot play with the amps. I've heard them into the 7000 and they sounded better into the wall in one system and another time in a totally different place, they sounded better into the wall.  I have very clean power from the wall, so I have a feeling it may be best direct, but the 7000 doesn't limit (they say the 3000 doesn't either, but I'm skeptical, lol).  Like digital, every system/room will be different depending on how clean your power is from the box.

On 1/1/2022 at 2:26 AM, Paul S. said:

Which whole house conditioner did you use? 

They are pretty much the same, at least the ones I looked at. They are basically sacrificial- When a power surge occurs, they get fried.

I am pretty sure there are others that can be reset, but they cost a lot of money.

The one I got cost under $100-this was a few years ago, not including install (which isn't much). The size of the box will determine what you will need.

B