Setting crossover value to match amp impedance

@Holmz,

No idea on electrics down under, but I do recommend a whole house surge protector at the box. They aren't expensive, but provide peace of mind- in case you aren't home to pull the cords out.

The one drawback is that they are self-sacrificial. So, if they do get triggered, they are fried and need to be replaced.

Bob

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 6:48 AM, GdnrBob said:

@Holmz,

No idea on electrics down under, but I do recommend a whole house surge protector at the box. They aren't expensive, but provide peace of mind- in case you aren't home to pull the cords out.

The one drawback is that they are self-sacrificial. So, if they do get triggered, they are fried and need to be replaced.

Bob

Actually I was just about over the concept of using a 230 -> 115v transformer.
The new (2nd hand) Prima Luna is wired 120v - but I git the schematic for it to change to the 230v tap. 
I was ready to get teh 250 outboard power supply for the Audible Illusions Modulus line stage, but that $250 shapeshifter to $750. And then there is a AR phonostage which has a 120v cord on it.

So yeah I have 230v… to the 120v transformer.

All my wood working tool are now 120v though, except for an old 2nd hand triangular headed FT sander.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:48 AM, GdnrBob said:

@Holmz

The one drawback is that they are self-sacrificial.

Crickey @GdnrBob  XMAS is around the corner as it is already the first of December here 😇 

Using a stepdown transformer is not always bad especially for low level stuff.  They give another stage of primary to secondary isolation which can be an advantage.  Power amplifiers may suffer because of the additional impedance but we found our Quatro worked fine with the internal stepdown because the switching power supply would not work at 240v.  It is not feasible to design a 240 switcher because we don't have enough demand and it sounds just as good.  

RV

That is good news RV… as I maybe I cannot afford the Quatros 😃

I am also thinking that perhaps the high inductance of the transformer might be aiding in removing any high frequency noise… if it is even there at all in the power lines? 

I know with the VTLs that they would play on after turning the power off for ~10-15 seconds… until the heaters stopped. So any high inrush current would seem to not be needed during those 10-15 seconds. It was maybe less than 10 seconds with the volume at very spirited levels. I am not sure what the power supplies in the SS amp are doing, but many probably also have a lot of joules of energy available instantaneously.
All of that makes me skeptical of needing 10 gauge wires to feed amps if the listening is in the 80-90 dB range… but it will not hurt, and if one is putting a new line in anyhow, then why not?

So maybe I have some inadvertent luck, in mixing the 120 and 230v… I guess since it is working, so why fix it.

Got a new vinyl yesterday of Lou Reed marked down from 99.95 to 49.99 AUD. Still unsure when the travel plan back to the old house are happening. There is a stack of gear awaiting me there.

@Holmz,

I didn't know you are on 230v down under. FWIW, I would be even more a fan of plugging amps directly to wall sockets, if we here in the US had that voltage.

As far as the Whole House Surge Protector goes- they aren't that expensive ($70USD). You can  get fancy and spend big bucks, but why?- They only kick in if there is a power surge.  And, any electrician (or yourself, if you have common sense with things electrical), you could reinstall a fried unit in under a minute.

B

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

@Holmz,

I didn't know you are on 230v down under. FWIW, I would be even more a fan of plugging amps directly to wall sockets, if we here in the US had that voltage.

As far as the Whole House Surge Protector goes- they aren't that expensive ($70USD). You can  get fancy and spend big bucks, but why?- They only kick in if there is a power surge.  And, any electrician (or yourself, if you have common sense with things electrical), you could reinstall a fried unit in under a minute.

B

The sparkle is here (Riley) - and “we” just got the internet cabled moved, and it is working again…  (So I am asking him now.)
<later>
Riley said, “I’ll find out how much they are.”

Bob, I may take you up on that. Sam will come over to help me with set up to so that I have someone to do the lifting for me, lol.  I'd need ot make sure I get all the tools I will need to reset the bass. It will be fun learning how to do that set up piece.  Sets ups have always been difficult for me for some reason. I can hear differences, but can't always set them up I guess, lol.  🙂

• 2 months later...

In trying to discover the impedance setting of my amp, I blew a fuse which cost a couple of hundred dollars to ship back to Ayre.  Its very informative that I can listen to a dip switch one higher and one lower and make my own choice without the hard work or monetary cost. The fuse might have failed without my fiddling around....but who knows. Thanks for the information.

@Richard Vandersteen,

I was unaware that the 5,7, Quatro, Kento required the crossover to be set exactly. 

My experience is with the Treo and Vandy subs, and believed the crossover could be 'tweaked to taste'. Which it can. But, I never realized other models would be adversely affected.

Perhaps it would be helpful to add a big disclaimer/warning to  the manual stating that the above mentioned models  require Exact impedance matching? 

You have a lot of manuals on the website that are mostly PDF's of the original manuals from years gone by,. and the fact that things have evolved over the years, it might be time to update them.

My 2 cents, again....

Bob

4 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Perhaps it would be helpful to add a big disclaimer/warning to  the manual stating that the above mentioned models  require Exact impedance matching? 

You mean, like in bold font in the bottom half of the front page of each manual?

Sorry - couldn't resist.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BKDad said:

You mean, like in bold font in the bottom half of the front page of each manual?

Sorry - couldn't resist.

A warning in at least the manuals of the speakers with self powered subs.

Considering that that information isn't on the crossovers or manual, and the fact that amplifier damage can occur,(nor is the fact that the settings on the M5 is meant for the speakers with powered subs, while the 2's and Sub 3 rely upon a different set). I don't think it an onerous task.

Price: $5.00

Sorry- couldn't resist.

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

A warning in at least the manuals of the speakers with self powered subs.

Considering that that information isn't on the crossovers or manual, and the fact that amplifier damage can occur,(nor is the fact that the settings on the M5 is meant for the speakers with powered subs, while the 2's and Sub 3 rely upon a different set). I don't think it an onerous task.

Price: $5.00

Sorry- couldn't resist.

GdnrBob, I searched the manuals of the Model 5, Quatro and Seven and don't read anywhere instructing to go up one, on the money or go down on the high-pass settings!  The M5-High pass is used with many products and does not have an instruction manual because it is used differently for different Vandersteen products.  So, I ask for clarification of your recommendation as I take them seriously.  Years ago, I watched a program on how ladders are made and was embarrassed to find our society has gotten to the point that the Warnings, Cautions, etc. stickers cost more than the material to make the ladder!  I will resist that.

RV

This screen shot from the very first page of the Quatro manual sure got my attention.   Especially the word "damage".  I see there's something similar on the first page of the manuals for the 5, 7, and Kento series of loudspeakers.  (Note that I received a printed version of this manual when I bought the Quatros.  People who buy their speakers used may need to rely on the free downloads.)

1554371786_ScreenShot2022-02-26at3_50_01PM.thumb.png.d0f0495427c051c6a7adea83683ec730.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Years ago, I watched a program on how ladders are made and was embarrassed to find our society has gotten to the point that the Warnings, Cautions, etc. stickers cost more than the material to make the ladder!

I wonder how many people injure themselves each year because they focused on reading the warning labels while using the ladder instead of on what they were doing.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:29 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

The instructions in the manual are to try the actual impedance, one below,  and two below and use the one that sounds best on a stand-up bass.  It does say that often it sounds best one down with full range speakers.  THE POINT IS USE THE ONE THAT SOUNDS BEST (I am not yelling just trying to make my point).  The only time the high-pass setting is critical is with the Five, Quatro, KENTO and SEVEN series speakers that have built in subs.  Some people have even reported to me they get best response by going up one setting from the actual amplifier impedance.  

RV

RV

I just did the work on my amp and and discovered that it has an output impedance of 100k ohms at 1000 hz, so I changed my setting to "none" which the label dictates for my 5A's.   The sound is now more bass heavy and less distinct.   I've heard this sound when the amp/cables are not broken in.....moved excessively.   I'll listen tomorrow for an improvement. ...

1 hour ago, BKDad said:

I wonder how many people injure themselves each year because they focused on reading the warning labels while using the ladder instead of on what they were doing.

What labels?
😎

Edited by Holmz