I have Arrived

Since we moved here to Colorado 2 years ago my audio journey has been absolutely amazing. During this time I have switched back to Vandersteen, going from Thiel CS 2.3  to  Quatro Wood CT. My listening room is 14' X 16' X 8' ceiling. The rear wall is only 6' high opening to an eat-in kitchen 5 steps up stairs. After trying the speakers at various locations with great advice from Johnny Rutan, I settled on them being 19" from the front wall bookshelves with a 1" toe-in, and 12" from the side walls. They are 130" apart (tweeter to tweeter) and about 150" to my listening position. I have rotated some plants around, made some diffusing panels, threw a rug down and hung some wall hangings. My latest week was switching 2 PCs. I had a high current Hurricane feeding my Torus RM15 and ran my Pass X250.8 into the wall using the stock PC. I figured the amp could use the high current cord more than the Torus since it only powered my TT (or streamer) and pre at any given time. Well, the music did become fuller. I don't really know how to describe it other that it sounds richer. More harmonics???  More air???  It just sounds wonderful. 

I feel like I have progressed more in the last 5-6 years than I have in the previous 40.  My system  has never sounded anywhere close to the magic that is now coming out of those Quatros. And I have many of you on this and other forums to thank for your guidance and just plain kindness with helping me through this complex audio journey.

If anyone has any suggestions based on my system and room photos I am all ears.

Thank you all,

Bruce

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5550.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5551.jpeg

Edited by Bruskie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, We are very much an outdoors couple. We love the mountains. We have spent decades in the  mountains skiing, climbing, backpacking.......

We have lived here before and decided to move back when my wife and I retired. And here we are enjoying the state again with a home full of wonderful music to come back to. Life is good!!

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruskie said:

Since we moved here to Colorado 2 years ago my audio journey has been absolutely amazing. During this time I have switched back to Vandersteen, going from Thiel CS 2.3  to  Quatro Wood CT. My listening room is 14' X 16' X 8' ceiling. The rear wall is only 6' high opening to an eat-in kitchen 5 steps up stairs. After trying the speakers at various locations with great advice from Johnny Rutan, I settled on them being 19" from the front wall bookshelves with a 1" toe-in, and 12" from the side walls. They are 130" apart (tweeter to tweeter) and about 150" to my listening position. I have rotated some plants around, made some diffusing panels, threw a rug down and hung some wall hangings. My latest week was switching 2 PCs. I had a high current Hurricane feeding my Torus RM15 and ran my Pass X250.8 into the wall using the stock PC. I figured the amp could use the high current cord more than the Torus since it only powered my TT (or streamer) and pre at any given time. Well, the music did become fuller. I don't really know how to describe it other that it sounds richer. More harmonics???  More air???  It just sounds wonderful. 

I feel like I have progressed more in the last 5-6 years than I have in the previous 40.  My system  has never sounded anywhere close to the magic that is now coming out of those Quatros. And I have many of you on this and other forums to thank for your guidance and just plain kindness with helping me through this complex audio journey.

Thank you all,

Bruce

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5550.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5551.jpeg

Get Jonney

2 hours ago, Bruskie said:

Thank you all,

Bruce

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5550.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5551.jpeg

Get Johnny to sell you a set of "Spike Shoes" they will protect your floors and improve your sound.  RV

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Pete. And I do owe a special thanks to @ctsoonerand @TomicTimefor the time they have spent with me on the phone and PMs over the last couple years. You guys are great. I will look into those spike shoes @Richard Vandersteen;  I appreciate the tip as every tweek helps.

I do love this online family. It's the best audio forum (and social media platform for that matter) on the internet !!!

Bruce

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bruskie said:

Thanks for the kind words Pete. And I do owe a special thanks to @ctsoonerand @TomicTimefor the time they have spent with me on the phone and PMs over the last couple years. You guys are great. I will look into those spike shoes @Richard Vandersteen;  I appreciate the tip as every tweek helps.

I do love this online family. It's the best audio forum (and social media platform for that matter) on the internet !!!

Bruce

Tip of the hat to you Bruce…community of music addicts HELPING each other…..

Vandy Spike shoes = great … i normally stock an extra 6 in my setup kit… Ditto w Nimbus couplers by HRS, Blue Tac :-)….

Enjoy the music !

As I said, the best part of teh board for me has been meeting some of you in person or online or phone.  It makes it very real.  Bruce gave me GREAT advice about building, so there's that too! 🙂. I will be getting the couplers for my music server I think.  

Bruce, those Vandershoe's just 'locked in' the sound for my system.  I was shocked it made that much of a difference (very incremental, but cheap tweak for sure.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:52 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

"Spike Shoes" they will protect your floors and improve your sound.  RV

I'll vouch for that Bruce.  And, my Quatros sit on laminate over concrete floor in our living room, a.k.a. Studio V.   A most worthy $130 investment.

IMG-2740.jpg

• Like 1

That's great to hear Steve. I too have laminate over a concrete slab in my music room. I thought "locking" the speakers to a hard slab was the ideal way to go. I'm suprised (but pleased) to hear that these spike shoes help. Are they glued or adhered down somehow to the floor or are they free to "slide" on the laminate?

Bruce

• Like 1

For best performance, yes. However in my amp setup, i run a full set w aluminum spacer under the amp  chassis ( not touching the stock feet ), that sits on 2.5” live edge, under that i have just the elastomeric damper…..

@Brad Ois also the HRS rep and can tell me where i have strayed….

On 3/19/2023 at 8:26 AM, TomicTime said:

Bruce - The spike shoes slide, they are aluminum machined cup w flat bottom that has a thin layer of felt or some other top secret material available only to the “ wizard of Hanford “…. like i said…i love em…

They are made from ordinary stainless steel but we touch them, HaHa!  RV

• Like 2